A&H

2nd assessment

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
would appreciate any feedback, especially from our resident assessors. Cheers

just to qualify

i didn't know that i was being assessed until a minute before kick-off, if that. positives and negatives there but would certainly have refreshed the points to watch from my first assessment, given more time, which may or may not have improved my performance - isolating the player for caution may have been dealt with better in this instance

wider and deeper to check offsides (picked up on it for not doing it enough in my first assessment) from 'flag happy' car/sub in first half meant being further from the drop zone on several occasions. just a case of getting the balance right and working a little harder, i guess....plus remembering that i can replace a car if i choose to

'back pass' - at the time, i doubted the deliberateness of the pass hence not giving it - but, i guess it was what was expected, certainly by the defending side and the assessor - probably by the attacking side too

why i let the no. 10 mouth off for so long is beyond me. episode by episode, the mouthing off was never too 'out of order' but, certainly a repeated infringement that, i agree, should have become a caution as per the assessor's report. thoughts of padfoots' comment about getting the mouthy one into the book as soon as certainly came to mind after the event and, given the possible / likely knock on effect of not dealing with it sooner, sensible words indeed.

anyway...over to you

clip_image002.gif
Referee Assessment & Development Form

Name of Referee: Haywain Current Level: 7

Type of Report: Advisory/Promotion 7 to 6

Match: (Blue) v (Yellow)

Competition: Cup Date: 12th October 2014

Assessors must complete as advised in the “Assessor Guide”.

1. Application of Law: Your pre-match checks were all satisfactory and it was a pleasure to see a Sunday game kick off on time !

You correctly awarded 14 free kicks for penal offences and missed a further 3, due to positioning which I will cover in section 3. There were a further 12 free kicks for offsides.

This was generally a fairly even tempered game with a few flashpoints, largely caused by minor issues which you were quick to react to. In the 35th minute you missed a flare up in the Yellow defensive left back corner due to your positioning.

You cautioned 2 players, Blue 4 for delaying the restart in the 50th and Blue 10 for dissent (eventually) in the 83rd minute. When you cautioned Blue 4, there were 4 or 5 players around you and the ball. If you do not need them, send them away, so you can isolate the player concerned and deal with him. Blue 4 was fortunate not to receive a 2nd yellow card in the 91st minute for kicking the ball away after you awarded a free kick to yellows. Whilst you may have decided not to dismiss him, you should have made it clear to him that any further transgressions would result in a 2nd yellow card.

I will return to the caution of Blue 10 under section 2.

Your interpretation of penal offences was generally good, although a lengthy back pass by the Blue defender which the goalkeeper picked up in the 63rd minute went unpunished.

2. Match Control: As mentioned earlier this was a fairly even tempered affair and in the main, the players accepted your decisions.

In the 49th minute, Yellow 12 petulantly tried to retaliate against a Blue player and I was pleased to see you have a word with him as you passed. He did not re-offend.

The biggest threat to your match control was the Blue 10 who dissented regularly until you finally cautioned him in the 83rd minute. Whilst he was getting frustrated by being given offside frequently, you were doing your best to get wide to check on the assistant and he was causing his own problems by setting off too early.

I noted dissent by him in the 22nd, 29th, 48th, 61st, 65th, and 83rd minutes. You spoke to him firmly in the first half and when he challenged you disallowing his goal for offside (from your excellent position) in the 49th minute, you should have cautioned him. He could then decide whether to continue with his dissent. I suspect he would have stopped. Instead he continued disagreeing and quite loudly expressing the view, "this referee is a joke" until you finally cautioned him in 83rd minute. Give them a warning first, speak to them with their captain next (staircase of treatment) and then if they continue, caution them. Their team mates will understand. In a more competitive match, other players will join in and undermine you further, so it is really important if you are to succeed to the next level, that you take action early so the players get the message. You are an imposing figure with a strong voice, so use it to your advantage.

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work rate: You seemed quite fit and worked hard and I witnessed several good sprints in the 34th, 42nd and 77th minutes. At times you did not get the reward that this work deserved because your positioning was inadequate.

I appreciate that, at times, you were trying to get wide to check on your assistants accuracy, but this left you too far from play on occasions. For example, in the 13th minute, Blues had an attacking throw in near the Yellow left back corner flag. You were positioned about 40 yards away on the far post, yet it had not been a quick break. You need to be positioned with a clear view of the drop zone i.e. where any offences are likely to take place. In the 35th minute, you were in a similar position and too far away to see a deliberate obstruction. The key point is that whether you gave the offence or not, being so far away, you lack credibility.

At corners, you were very static. More experienced players will take advantage of this, by committing offences out of your view. Try to be on the move during corners whilst the ball is in flight, so the players do not know where you will be, again, keeping in mind that you need a clear view of the drop zone.

Finally, at this level, consider being close to the goal line at corners, because if there is a contentious event, this is your area of greatest risk, as your assistant (often a reluctant substitute) will be unlikely to help you with a goal/no goal decision.

4. Alertness & Awareness, Including management of stoppages: You had a good awareness of what was happening around you e.g. the "afters" mentioned in the 49th minute above. A few minor points :- when a goal is scored, keep your eye on the players before you note the score down as this is a potential flashpoint. You tended to bury your head in your book with your back to everyone. Ditto when you re-brief a new assistant on the touchline. Remain facing play while you do this.

At this level, it is not easy to control substitutes, but try to stop them entering play until the player has left and you are ready. A firm hand in the air and a "stay on the touchline please" will help while you make your way across to them. The Yellow substitute who was your first half assistant had his tracksuit top open and was at risk of being seen as an extra defender.

5. Communication: Your whistle was clear and the tone varied according to the seriousness of the offence, although I am not sure such a lengthy whistle is needed for the start of play after each goal.

I could hear you talking to the players to explain decisions and was pleased to hear your preventative calls of "hands down" at corners.

On a couple of occasions, you omitted to raise your arm for an indirect free kick for offsides (but there were a lot of them !). Try to remember to do this all the time.

Your horizontal arm signals for throw-ins were fine, but you tended to remain horizontal for corners. Please aim to raise your arm to about 45 degrees to differentiate a corner from a throw in.

6. Teamwork: I was pleased to see you brief your assistants together and although I only heard in passing, it did seem rather long and complicated. I suggest you simplify it to in and out of play and offside (without explaining the offside law !) and don't invite them to involve themselves in disciplinary matters.

I was pleased to see and hear you overrule your assistants on occasions and also give them a thumbs up. Try to encourage them by using their first names when thanking them to make them feel part of your team. I realise you didn't brief all your new assistants but appreciate the intent was there.

7. Advantage: I only noticed 1 advantage played by you to Blues in the 17th minute but this resulted in good possession. You gave a clear, loud shout, but try to extend your arms straighter in front of you, as they were quite bent.

Strengths

1 Good interpretation of penal offences.

3 Clearly fit and prepared to work hard to succeed

5 Prepared to talk to and explain decisions to players and encourage assistants

Development areas

2 Deal with dissent firmly early on, taking disciplinary action if the firm word does not reap the right results

3 Remember to focus on having a clear view of the drop zone, particularly at set pieces (throws, corners, free kicks) where you have time to get there

1 Be prepared to apply law as necessary, back passes, petulantly kicking the ball away

Name of Assessor: Signed:

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Not a badly written assessment. Should be good enough to see you get off the lowest rung of the ladder. If there are common development points between assessment 1 and 2, you have to make sure they don't appear in any subsequent assessments.

Certainly fuller and more detailed than any of my three assessments to date :) . Amazing how many similar themes come through as well .. positioning at corners, keeping eyes on players at all times, cracking down more firmly on dissent etc. I'd guess between 70 and 73 but would struggle to claim that's a well educated guess ;) .

As Brian says, obviously addressing the particular development areas by the time your next one comes around is the big thing .. I try to re-read my assessments every few weeks just to have those points front and centre at all times.

Keep up the good work mate .. fingers crossed we both get good news next March :)

When i went from the Old Class 3 to Class 2 they never told you when they were watching :eek:, but i have decided to go for promotion next year! I have been told that you are informed at least 5 -6 days before your assessment, maybe this is different in each county!

Assessor's original assessment was cancelled on the day so he decided to pick up my game instead, hence the very late notice, mark. Normally a few days notice here in sussex

@Russell Jones made the point that similar things crop up in reports for referees being assessed for the first few times. It's no surprise, it simply proves the circle of incompetence. You start thinking you know it all but no one tells you that you know nothing. Someone tells you (or you realise for yourself) and you feel bad. Next you work really hard at improving in the area in which you're not very good and with practice you get better. After a while, it's like second nature. Then you realise there's something else that's not quite right and off we go again.

The point about being in the right place at the right time is that it increases your chance of making the right decision and the players believing you got it right by good judgement rather than guessing. That leads on to the correct application of law and the restriction of protests (which become dissent if the same lack of belief in your decisions re-occurs frequently). From there you improve your match control, which reduces dissent even further. To support all of the above you have to communicate effectively and take a risk every now and then, which is when you play advantage.

Back