A&H

A scenario we never want to be in

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
I'm looking for advice on how to follow up the actions of a spectator. My problem is, it was more of an implication rather than a statement so I'm concerned I could end up in trouble off the back of it

Under 16's game, blue v red. pretty fiery. 80 minutes in, blue midfielder commits an act of VC which causes two players to be separated, although the red player never commuted any act of VC, he kept trying to get away. Blue is pulled away by other players. Once it's been cooled, I call him over. His dad comes with him and I tell him to leave the FOP which he does after a few warnings. Blue player is sent off.

After the game, the dad approaches me and tells me my decision was wrong, that it should have been yellow and (this is where it gets tricky), implies it was racially motivated. He never uses the term, but he repeatedly says 'I know the real reason why you sent him off' whilst constantly pointing to his arm. I continue to explain excessive force, striking an opponent etc etc and that's all he keeps coming back with

How would you follow this up?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Right I would put it in a extraordinary report on exactly what happened and put under that team failed to control spectators

If you think he was implying you were being racist then that's extremely offensive.

If a player said something offensive you would report it as finding it offensive.

First thing is to make sure your report regarding the VC is clear and accurate. If you have a mentor or are part of a RA, it may be worth getting them to check the report before submitting if you haven't already.

I would be considering contacting your RDO by email after this, describing what happened and asking if he considers the comments to be something that requires a further misconduct report and/or contacting "Kick it Out".

I'd just say something along the lines of:
"In the 80th minute of the match, while dealing with an act of violent conduct by a [insert team name] player, a spectator encroached onto the field of play, who I believe to be the father of the player. After being warned to leave the pitch X times, he did so.

After the end of the match, the same spectator has approached me and said "[insert words used]", while pointing to his arm, which I understood to be an implication that I only sent the player off because of the colour of his skin."

I'd just say something along the lines of:
"In the 80th minute of the match, while dealing with an act of violent conduct by a [insert team name] player, a spectator encroached onto the field of play, who I believe to be the father of the player. After being warned to leave the pitch X times, he did so.

After the end of the match, the same spectator has approached me and said "[insert words used]", while pointing to his arm, which I understood to be an implication that I only sent the player off because of the colour of his skin."

Would you put them in as separate incidents, or put them under the VC report?

Do that as a single separate 'extraordinary incident' report.

Brilliant. Thanks all for your help. My concern was whether putting it in with no witnesses could potentially leave me in bother with it, but it seems pretty conclusive about the action to take.

Am lost as to why you are engaging in dialogue regarding this incident to a parent?

It wasn't my intention. It was right after the full time whistle while players/managers etc were all shaking hands. He asked for an explanation as to why I sent him off, which I explained and the above is what he followed it up with. To be honest, I thought it was pretty conclusive why I sent him off (striking an opponent twice) so thought I could just give him one line, and that would be that.

Each to own, my response would certainly have been something along lines of " am sorry am not discussing it" or "am happy to speak to a club official in 10 mins or so", something, anything like that.
Maybe a learning curve going forward, to make sure there are players/coaches in vicinity at end? Don't allow yourself to be isolated with a parent? If you think discussing match incidents with a parent seconds after the final whistle is going to end well, then, good luck.

Each to own, my response would certainly have been something along lines of " am sorry am not discussing it" or "am happy to speak to a club official in 10 mins or so", something, anything like that.
Maybe a learning curve going forward, to make sure there are players/coaches in vicinity at end? Don't allow yourself to be isolated with a parent? If you think discussing match incidents with a parent seconds after the final whistle is going to end well, then, good luck.

A good point. Especially after this incident, I'll bear that in mind. I guess I just expect people who have seen the game to be more reasonable/understanding, but clearly that isn't the case and when their children are involved, are probably bitter!

Yes, unless you have been a total bombscare to both teams, usually one of the tech areas/sidelines will appear more decent, edge towards them, or make sure you have as many players around you as possible at the end, its understandable to feel confident or think its good communication to explain/discuss something, but, there is a time and a place, and seconds after the final whistle, with a parent, is not really going to be it !

Back