A&H

Abandoned due to injury

JonA

I had my first experience of abandoning a match yesterday (open age women's league), unfortunately due to a very nasty injury to a player (horrible arm fracture) that ultimately resulted in extended treatment on the pitch and an air ambulance landing in the centre circle. I was very grateful that a doctor and a couple of nurses were present and looked after the injured player.

My question is regarding the process I followed. Did I do everything correctly? Was I anything else I should have considered? Has anyone had a similar situation?

Initially my focus was on ensuring the player received appropriate treatment and that an ambulance had been called. Luckily, this was done swiftly by people with appropriate skills (see above). So then I shifted focus to other players who had witnessed the incident and were upset (a few players / coaches in tears). After about 10mins it was clear that the player was not to be moved on medical advice, and that a number of other players were too upset to continue. I called both coaches and captains together and we mutually agreed to abandon. I informed both sets of players.

I remained at the venue until the air ambulance and regular ambulance attended - it was probably about an hour and a half until they left with the injured player. I then helped the venue's facilties manager to ensure their incident log was completed before leaving.

I submited an extraordinary report on the FA Whole Game system detailing the reasons for the abandonment.

Looking back, I realised that I just acted on autopilot and did what felt right at each point, without really thinking about process. For example, I didn't note down what time we were into the match when I abandoned (I was able to get this from my Garmin data later) or the name/number of the player (again, I was able to get this later). Is there anything else I should have done or considered? Just to note, the injury was the result of a (fair) slide tackle made by the injured player herself - no foul so no need to consider any sanction against another player - just a freakish accident).

I'm reffereeing the same team again next week so, hopefully, I'll get to find out how the player is doing. It really wasn't pleasant and I confess that once I got home it realised that it had shaken me up a bit.

These things happen though, unfortunately, so thought I'd just detail it here in case there was something I could do better should I find myself in a similar situation again. Thanks.

The Referee Store
I had my first experience of abandoning a match yesterday (open age women's league), unfortunately due to a very nasty injury to a player (horrible arm fracture) that ultimately resulted in extended treatment on the pitch and an air ambulance landing in the centre circle. I was very grateful that a doctor and a couple of nurses were present and looked after the injured player.

My question is regarding the process I followed. Did I do everything correctly? Was I anything else I should have considered? Has anyone had a similar situation?

Initially my focus was on ensuring the player received appropriate treatment and that an ambulance had been called. Luckily, this was done swiftly by people with appropriate skills (see above). So then I shifted focus to other players who had witnessed the incident and were upset (a few players / coaches in tears). After about 10mins it was clear that the player was not to be moved on medical advice, and that a number of other players were too upset to continue. I called both coaches and captains together and we mutually agreed to abandon. I informed both sets of players.

I remained at the venue until the air ambulance and regular ambulance attended - it was probably about an hour and a half until they left with the injured player. I then helped the venue's facilties manager to ensure their incident log was completed before leaving.

I submited an extraordinary report on the FA Whole Game system detailing the reasons for the abandonment.

Looking back, I realised that I just acted on autopilot and did what felt right at each point, without really thinking about process. For example, I didn't note down what time we were into the match when I abandoned (I was able to get this from my Garmin data later) or the name/number of the player (again, I was able to get this later). Is there anything else I should have done or considered? Just to note, the injury was the result of a (fair) slide tackle made by the injured player herself - no foul so no need to consider any sanction against another player - just a freakish accident).

I'm reffereeing the same team again next week so, hopefully, I'll get to find out how the player is doing. It really wasn't pleasant and I confess that once I got home it realised that it had shaken me up a bit.

These things happen though, unfortunately, so thought I'd just detail it here in case there was something I could do better should I find myself in a similar situation again. Thanks.

Sounds to me like you went above and beyond.

I don't think there was any need to complete an extraordinary incident report, just inform the league, however the fact you did one isn't a problem.

Also, there was no requirement for you to wait at the ground until the player was treated and taken away. As soon as you've made the decision to abandon, you're within your rights to complete any necessary paperwork and leave.

Having information just in case of a query can help, but in this case I would say just reporting to the league that the match was abandoned due to a serious player injury (no misconduct) is enough.

I don't think there was any need to complete an extraordinary incident report, just inform the league, however the fact you did one isn't a problem.
I am almost certain that you have to report abandonments to The FA via WGS. It isn't optional iirc.

I am almost certain that you have to report abandonments to The FA via WGS. It isn't optional iirc.

I could be wrong on that to be fair, I've never had one (touch wood) but I just imagined that if it was abandoned for discipline reasons then the FA would need a report obviously, but abandonment for player injury I didn't think would require it.

It sounds to me like you did everything well. Common sense would say that you did the right thing to worry about the player before worrying about the time etc. I had a situation once where I stopped the game in the 56th minute, made the decision to suspend play 2 minutes later when it was apparent it was a horrible injury, and then eventually abandoned the match about 25 minutes later. Did pretty much the same as you did with processes etc. I was thanked by all involved for it so must have done something right. Hope the players ok.

I could be wrong on that to be fair, I've never had one (touch wood) but I just imagined that if it was abandoned for discipline reasons then the FA would need a report obviously, but abandonment for player injury I didn't think would require it.
Yeah, that is my take as well. If a game is abandoned due to player misconduct the league can't do anything with it until the CFA(s) have concluded their investigation. Whereas when a game is abandoned for an injury it is nothing to do with the CFA, the league can proceed to reschedule it at their convenience.

Sounds like you did a great job well done. Only thing I would add is that the full time whistle fouls be blown to indicate to everyone that the match is finished however I suspect that if there is any reason to think that this may have added more psychological pressure to the injured player (thinking it’s her fault) then maybe a good decision to deliberately not blow. Especially if the crowd size meant that the outcome could be communicated through coaches and managers. Let’s hope she is ok.

Sounds like you did a great job well done. Only thing I would add is that the full time whistle fouls be blown to indicate to everyone that the match is finished however I suspect that if there is any reason to think that this may have added more psychological pressure to the injured player (thinking it’s her fault) then maybe a good decision to deliberately not blow. Especially if the crowd size meant that the outcome could be communicated through coaches and managers. Let’s hope she is ok.
You wouldn't blow the full time whistle as you haven't reached full time. Everyone knows the game is being abandoned and the reason for it, no one is expecting a whistle. If anything that could be counter productive as they could think, obviously incorrectly, because you have signalled full time the score at the time will stand as the result.

Back