A&H

Aberdeen v Motherwell SFP

CaptainsPlease

Level 6 Referee
Clip is at 1:37

Screenshot 2024-04-28 205853.png
1714334393650.png

The clearest camera angle is not in the video but put a couple of stills above from BBC coverage. I think UK viewers can see it here from 0:28.

Pundits on Sportscene did not like this SFP one bit and said it was a C&O error due to winning the ball. I think it's a great decision by Craig Napier. Motherwell have said they are appealing it, don't see that going anywhere but don't know what the process in Scotland is like.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Might raise some eyebrows, but i'm struggling for SFP here, I just think it's just a reckless foul with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned*, I don't think there's any force in the challenge, it's just a lazy leg, however, the concern is the height of the foot.

Remember that Doku on Mac Allister wasn't even a foul when he booted him in the chest.

(*amended)

Last edited:
Careless = no sanction
Reckless = yellow card
Endangering opponent ('s safety) = red card.

It can't be all three in laws of the game speak.
It's an accident, but the game went soft many years ago, so not the Ref's fault to deem it 'endangering'
On balance, i think it's reckless, but the red card is a point scorer with the observer

I was reminded earlier, that Bill Shankly said of Referee's, 'they know the Laws, but they don't know the game'
I would agree with that, but I don't.... because it's the Law Makers and those organisations that tell Referees how to Ref the game who 'don't know the game'. The Referees are not so much the problem
That's a bit off point, but I'd like a world which recognizes the difference between an accident and malice

Last edited:
Back