A&H

Academy Game - tips?

davels

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I've been appointed to an academy game, U15's. I've been told to turn up wearing smart dress and that whilst cards can be used, players will not be sent off - for red or x2 yellows its a word with the bench and they sub the players off. County observer will also be there...

This feels like a little step up from the normal but wanted to get your advice on whats expected. And when they say smart dress, assume thats a suit...?! jeeeeeez

The Referee Store
Hi David,

When I do academy games, I turn up in trousers and shirt. In Cornwall the only academies that we really get here are Torquay, Plymouth and now Chelsea.

I also refuse to do games when they say "cards not allowed" or "you can't send them off". Reds and yellows are part of the game and if they don't want them, they don't get me as a referee. What I do allow though, which is kind of where you're at, is if a player gets a red card, they can bring on a player in his place. That is by agreement at the start of the game. At the end of the day, they are non-competitive (in the sense) games so a red card isn't going to affect them in the future. I do however make it clear that I will send in any cards that i issue which are due to dissent or offinabus/threatening behaviour etc. I do no tolerate that rubbish.

On the whole, my experiences are usually positive. Managers are often good as gold, where if you give them a quick nod, they'll replace a player if you make the suggestion. I've only once sent a player off in an academy game, that was for a comment "next time you come near me, I'm gonna break your f*****g legs".

Last edited:
To be fair you shouldn't get any real problems, if someone is causing you issues or they are trying your patience give the a public rebuke. These kids are trying to impress the clubs and a dressing down usually works. Forget about the observers, go out and enjoy it- smile and get about the pitch

Good luck- let us know how you get on

I do Scunthorpe Academy and it seems since there is no competitive competition the players get on with trying to prove themselves with their football rather than kicking each other. You shouldn't get any problems with dissent or disrespectful players cause the managers usually shut that down themselves. The football they play will be of a good quality which actually makes it easy for you as there aren't many fouls and the game flows well. Just go out and enjoy yourself really. It's certainly more enjoyable than going out and having 22+ blokes shouting at you for 90 minutes!

Great advice, thanks guys. It's Chelsea I'm reffing for this time. Am looking forward to it. It's next Saturday. Will let you know how the experience went... either way, will be nice to have a couple of appointed AR's !!!

Only ever done one, Blades v Forest U13 about 7-8 years ago. well organised and nothing like anything else i've ever done before of since.
Remember the grass being like a billiard table.

Back