A&H

Accepting Facebook requests

If I were to post of Facebook that I went out at the weekend and got off my nut there is nothing my employer can do about it, unless I then called in sick on the Monday.

Yes, people need to be careful about what they post, but an employer would be hard pressed to take formal action against you unless you posted something which could constitute gross misconduct or similar.

The problem with refereeing and social media, aside from people in the upper echelons of the FA still living in the 50s, is that there are lots of people (including fellow referees) who will try and score points off you for the smallest things.

If people want to progress then they need to play the game

Your bottom line basically backs up my point, i didnt say you would sack the person. But would you favour them going forward? Would you promote that person?

The Referee Store
If I were to post of Facebook that I went out at the weekend and got off my nut there is nothing my employer can do about it, unless I then called in sick on the Monday.

Yes, people need to be careful about what they post, but an employer would be hard pressed to take formal action against you unless you posted something which could constitute gross misconduct or similar.

The problem with refereeing and social media, aside from people in the upper echelons of the FA still living in the 50s, is that there are lots of people (including fellow referees) who will try and score points off you for the smallest things.

If people want to progress then they need to play the game
I know of people that have been sacked for their social media activity.
I think if you have recorded your employer in your profile then you also need to add a disclaimer to say that views are your own..other wise you are a representative of your company and therefore they have every right to protect their brand in any way they choose. If that means you are disciplined for bringing company into disrepute then thats life now I am afraid.

I know of people that have been sacked for their social media activity.
I think if you have recorded your employer in your profile then you also need to add a disclaimer to say that views are your own..other wise you are a representative of your company and therefore they have every right to protect their brand in any way they choose. If that means you are disciplined for bringing company into disrepute then thats life now I am afraid.

All depends what you post, and what your contract says, going out and getting wasted at the weekend isn't illegal, and is unlikely to bring your employer into disrepute.

However, going out getting wasted and into a fight, or posting about drug use etc would bring your employer into disrepute.

All depends what you post, and what your contract says, going out and getting wasted at the weekend isn't illegal, and is unlikely to bring your employer into disrepute.

However, going out getting wasted and into a fight, or posting about drug use etc would bring your employer into disrepute.

Jeepers, it was just an example of a frowned upon post. I didn't really expect to get into a debate regarding employment law..........

Ask yourself, is the player sending you a friend request someone who you would call a friend? If not, delete the *friend* request. I use FB for friends, LinkedIn for associates, although not sure I would want some random player I referee occasionally to be posting things to me on LinkedIn.

I always thought it was a blind auction on promotion candidates? Who's the best of the best club marks and assessments and all that baloni. How would they know that Said referee is a keyboard warrior on a weekend. That's unless it's not a blind auction and certain cards are marked in advance and other county boots are well and truly licked, sorry, fraudian slip, I meant Applications ticked! Surely not? :(

7 Reasons that can get you fired from your job

1. Making racist, sexist, or other offensive comments
  2. Complaining about your job
  3. Sharing confidential information
  4. Posting something stupid on behalf of your company
  5. Sharing when you should be working
  6. Posting drunk photos from work gatherings
  7. Broadcasting your job search
Taken directly from http://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...n-get-you-fired-from-your-job.html/?a=viewall

That is from an American site and certainly numbers 2 and 7 would not see you losing your job in the UK.

Where I work we are simply told not to post anything on social media that we wouldn't say/do in the office or anything that is likely to be considered illegal/offensive. If you do, then depending on the severity will depend on the level of disciplinary action.

That is from an American site and certainly numbers 2 and 7 would not see you losing your job in the UK.

Number 2 could easily lose you your job as you're giving your employer a bad image. It depends what industry you work in too, I work in software engineering and if I started broadcasted (if they were) how bad my employer was then I could lose my job as there is a specific entity you represent.

What most people don't understand is that you're the image for your employer

Back