A&H

Added Time

rolfep

We were advised recently to add actual time lost rather than an automatic 30 seconds for a sub etc. This included, time for free kicks, goal kicks, subs, throw ins.

Have others been doing this, has it now added a lot of time onto games. i think I was at about 8 minutes in both of my last 2 games in each half and I wasn't timing it every single second.

The Referee Store
We were advised recently to add actual time lost rather than an automatic 30 seconds for a sub etc. This included, time for free kicks, goal kicks, subs, throw ins.

Have others been doing this, has it now added a lot of time onto games. i think I was at about 8 minutes in both of my last 2 games in each half and I wasn't timing it every single second.
I've not been doing this outside of a Womens FA Cup game I had. No reason for a Sunday league game to be 110 minutes long and most delays are just the ball going 30 yards out of play at the restart.

It's made to combat time wasting out of play, I find a warning and then a yellow for delaying cuts it out and avoids 10 mins added on

Time for free kicks, throw ins and goal kicks should not be accounted for, except for excessive delay. Otherwise you are operating a stop clock, which is not the aim.

These are the reasons for which additional time should be allowed for.

• substitutions
• assessment and/or removal of injured players
• wasting time
• disciplinary sanctions
• medical stoppages permitted by competition rules, e.g. ‘drinks’ breaks
(which should not exceed one minute) and ‘cooling’ breaks (ninety seconds
to three minutes)
• delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’
• goal celebrations
• any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart

The 30 second rule for subs, as far as I know has never been in law either.

I think it's kind of funny that in all the current chat of how precisely we should be following laws, somewhere a ref is going to get pinged for running a 70 second break because it doesn't qualify as either a <60s drinks or 90-180s cooling break!

Why 8 mins in the first half?

The new guidance only applies for games that are appointed to by PGMOL. No one is expecting grass roots games to have 10+ minutes additional time per half.

I did a game on Sunday where the pitch had steep banks down on 3 of the 4 sides and it was taking an age to get the ball back, almost every time it went out of play it went all the way down the bank. The teams wanted me to add on time for it but we'd have been there until it was dark, I pointed out they had loads of balls so why not leave them dotted around the pitch and then get a sub to go and get the balls as they went down the hills.

Generally, substitutions and goals should yield about 30 seconds of time added and then injuries are variable and should be tracked.

Back