A&H

Advising game being observed

The Referee Store
I know what your saying but when I do get teams that you haven't told and you go to tell them to take things off and they moan

You can warn them that "I'm very picky on things like making sure sock tape and undergarments are the right colour" - which will make your life easier when you have to make them change, but won't give away that you're being assessed and make your life difficult in that respect?

Depends on the game. I'm going to be watching a 5-4 candidate on Saturday at a step 5 ground where admission is charged, so if he hasn't told the home club that I'm coming and I get charged on the gate I am not going to be best impressed.

Last season I refereed a 7-6 candidate at a police sports ground. The away team have to provide a list of players so that they can get entry, so if the referee doesn't tell the home club that I'm coming to observe I won't get in. Sometimes you do need to tell the home club that there will be an observer present.

Depends on the game. I'm going to be watching a 5-4 candidate on Saturday at a step 5 ground where admission is charged, so if he hasn't told the home club that I'm coming and I get charged on the gate I am not going to be best impressed.

Last season I refereed a 7-6 candidate at a police sports ground. The away team have to provide a list of players so that they can get entry, so if the referee doesn't tell the home club that I'm coming to observe I won't get in. Sometimes you do need to tell the home club that there will be an observer present.
I'm guessing that at the police sports ground, if the ref tells them your name you're definitely not getting in? :p

Sorry why it is up to the ref to inform the team? Is it not up to the Association to say an observer will be present and should the cost not be recouped by the assessor. Obviously this system is different in GB, but I still don't think advising teams about underarmour, tape etc because an assessor will be there is good practice. Yes from the way it seems to operate a courtesy call to say an assessor will be present may be called for and I can certainly understand the security issues one, but saying to teams anything other than someone is coming to me would be a no no!

The other option given to us by Essex FA which I've just remembered was to tell the clubs that the person present is a mentor, rather than an observer/assessor. This should again allow them free entry and security clearance if necessary, but again won't give the players too much cause to act up.

The other option given to us by Essex FA which I've just remembered was to tell the clubs that the person present is a mentor, rather than an observer/assessor. This should again allow them free entry and security clearance if necessary, but again won't give the players too much cause to act up.

Can't you just call them a guest of the officials?

in my neck of the woods you don't need t tell the clubs that there is an observer present. the big puffy jackets with the clip board is sign enough.

in my first observed game i didn't tell the clubs but they figured it out soon enough and it was probably my worst game of the season
At Supply and Contrib level, you are expected to dress appropriately which usually means suit and tie, carrying a notebook or pad or folder.

But is that not for the FA to inform the club or the assessor themselves? Surely a referee informing teams of I have an assessor today so to speed things up etc is against the rules? Over here you turn up someone's there and they introduce themselves and you get squeaky bxumhole time! :bite:
From next season all Supply and Contrib Observers must make contact with the club. Also all Observers will be required to contact the referee to advise of their attendance.

At Supply and Contrib level, you are expected to dress appropriately which usually means suit and tie, carrying a notebook or pad or folder.

You (and some others) may look smart at your games, but when I am on the muddy side of the grass in the weather - then its warm waterproof trousers and 43 coats and tops....

From next season all Supply and Contrib Observers must make contact with the club. Also all Observers will be required to contact the referee to advise of their attendance.

At my level of supply games, I don't think this will be necessarily. Even though the details are on MOAS, I still contact the referee to warn him what time i will be there and of his impending mark of 70 (well it will be under the new scheme, next marking season).

Reactions: es1
You (and some others) may look smart at your games, but when I am on the muddy side of the grass in the weather - then its warm waterproof trousers and 43 coats and tops....
You need to get on another league
At my level of supply games, I don't think this will be necessarily. Even though the details are on MOAS, I still contact the referee to warn him what time i will be there and of his impending mark of 70 (well it will be under the new scheme, next marking season).
Believe me, I've seen the pathway and you'll be obliged to. As for the new marking system, 70 will become the new 73.

new marking scheme for next season...

i've heard rumors but seen nothing official! how's it changing?

i'm being assessed on my first supply game in 5 months tomorrow!

On the supply league I officiate on the observer is listed as the fourth official- no questions about entry costs or the club being aware they are there.

On the county and district I have always made contact with my observer/assessor well before the game. Some want to hear your pre match, some don't. Where the hospitality is spot on they tend to arrive earlier :)

Back