A&H

Aims

The Referee Store
As I have on here before, I have absolutely no refereeing ambition what so ever!.......... I am being serious!

In my 7th season refereeing, i'm 43 years old, two dodgy knees which were not helped by previously working as a plumber and a cruciate ligament injury suffered whilst skiing in Bulgaria 20 years ago, along with the temperamental ankle which is also a result of suffering serious ligament damage whilst attempting to play football about 7 years ago.

Got into refereeing somewhat reluctantly at first having been persuaded to take charge of my son's U8's game at 24 hours notice by a desperate coach. Gave myself a crash course on the laws of the game and the specifics of mini-soccer that night. First game went ok, no complaints, not to my face anyway. For some bizarre reason, they asked me to do the next game and kind of got hooked, so decided if they were going to keep asking me, I might as well go "official"....

I have total respect for the guys who want to/have progressed up the refereeing ladder. Fair play to them and I wish them all the best, but it's not for me personally. I referee at a level my fitness allows me to and I am happy with. If I strap the ankle up before a game, it's usually ok afterwards. If I forget, which I have done a few times and the pitch is on the harder side, the next two weeks are a total nightmare! I make myself available to referee as and when it suits me, whilst combining it with dad cab duties and watching my 13 year old son play. Is he going to be the next Leo Messi? No chance, but it still fills me with pride every time I see him play and the joy being on a pitch brings to him.

"Retired" from refereeing for 9 months, was great at first, then hated every minute of it. After one of my son's games had finished, whilst we were walking back to the car, there was an adults game playing on a nearby pitch. Looked across at the referee, he barely moved from the centre circle, not surprising really as he looked at least 70. It was at this moment I thought if he can still do it regardless of the obvious lack of mobility, then so can I.... Had the pleasure of meeting the very gentleman at a tournament we did during the summer, great guy, had some very funny stories from his 50+ years of refereeing.

Lost it for a while, but my ref'n mojo is back and currently stronger than ever, so no plans to re-enter the abyss of retirement again any time soon. Whilst we may all secretly dream of refereeing a Champion League or World Cup match, who knows some on here may well go on and do that, I knew from day once that was never going to happen. Anyway would pick taking charge of the Dog & Duck FC or Power Rangers FC Youth on a cold wet rec than ref'n pampered pros in front of 50k people and the Sky cameras every day of the week! :D

As I have on here before, I have absolutely no refereeing ambition what so ever!.......... I am being serious!...
Very similar to my refereeing story. I was one of the coaches for my son's team, and enjoyed doing the middles (even at mini-soccer) more than the coaching. So went official. Still stick mainly to youth (U15,U16,U18 mainly), and the odd vets games. Can't do Saturday's and preferred the youth games on a Sunday to the hungover OA matches I did. Much more interested in seeing the younger generation be outside running around than glued to their screens and PS4's, and refereeing helps towards that.
Mid-40's, no desire to climb the ladder. What are club marks? :confused::p:meh:

I've no aim to progress up the ladder, too old now anyway. Still I'm determined to be as good as I can be at my own level. Always looking out for "glamour" games and end of season finals.

Depends - L4 is very much the bottom-end of the ladder, you're more of a part-time ref / full-time lino and that's not the right way round for me. I want to get to L3 but I know how tough it is and as this is my first season I know I will need to wait for a bit. I have my own targets for assessor/club marks for this season so that I feel I am on track.

Also, forget about age, i'm approaching 40 and i think I am fitter and more mobile than almost all of the guys I have seen this season and I don't see age as a barrier at all.

My current plan is to just do a level a season, taking it season at a time. When (If? No, definitely when!) I hit a wall and fail to progress for a season I'll stop there and reassess my long term ambitions. I might keep trying to get promotion, but my current mindset suggests that unless I've failed due to injury, I'll probably accept that as my level (whatever level that may be) and keep refereeing at that standard.

I'm also quite keen on the idea of mentoring and helping new referees get through their first 6 games and first difficult experiences, so I might investigate that once I've got a few more years experience myself.

Very similar to my refereeing story. I was one of the coaches for my son's team, and enjoyed doing the middles (even at mini-soccer) more than the coaching. So went official. Still stick mainly to youth (U15,U16,U18 mainly), and the odd vets games. Can't do Saturday's and preferred the youth games on a Sunday to the hungover OA matches I did. Much more interested in seeing the younger generation be outside running around than glued to their screens and PS4's, and refereeing helps towards that.
Mid-40's, no desire to climb the ladder. What are club marks? :confused::p:meh:

Very similar to you & Mooseybaby.

In my 15th season, doing mainly youth and Ladies games.

Enjoy the variety and the AR duties on Ryman U18s and 21s especially. Lucky enough to officiate on a wide variety of leagues/comps.

This season I have gone "freelance", committing to only 1 middle a month on local youth league, this enables me to pick up plenty of "spare" appointments due to late call offs by other refs.

Always want to do the best job I can every game, but no interest in open age football and slogging through the lower levels to get to better grade of adult football. Too old for that now in any case.

HATE refereeing if not fully fit/well - this new approach allows me to take time off if I need to, without coming off appointed games.

Don't referee Saturday, because of a long standing "condition" - I'm a QPR season ticket holder!;):rolleyes:

someone has already mentioned age not being a barrier, but at 47 i'm being realistic and saying that i do this to enjoy football from another perspective.
started out helping at my sons' games and then thought, why not actually qualify and offer something back to the leagues in which i played for 20 odd years, and also as a way of appreciating how horrible i was as a player and to see things through referee's eyes. (almost as an apology to those that i should probably offer them to !! ) Enjoying it thoroughly, and my aims are simple... do the job to the best of my ability, and to keep on learning and actioning those learning points... so i will begin to, and continue to apply for promotion, to get some feedback and development points, and just see what happens. That 5-4 decision making moment may or may not arrive for me, but i'll carry on enjoying the highs and lows this job brings for as long as i'm physically able.

someone has already mentioned age not being a barrier, but at 47 i'm being realistic and saying that i do this to enjoy football from another perspective

I'm also 47 and perversely choosing to be knowingly 'unrealistic', as I've been promoted from 7 to 5 over the last two seasons and am hoping to get my 4 this season. As @Monotone Whistle says, I'm also lucky enough to be fitter than I've ever been and finished in the top handful in my fitness test so (for now at least) that's not an issue.

Would love to get to Level 3 but fully appreciate how challenging that is, so we shall just have to wait and see. My initial aim when starting on the promotion trail was to get to L4 so fingers crossed I can celebrate that sometime soon :)

I'm going the other way. Got to level 4 fairly quickly, took 5 seasons to get promoted to level 3 and spent 5 years there, two as panel select assistant. Unfortunately the final few years were riddled with injury, so I decided to step back down to level 5. Which was the right thing to do with the benefit of hindsight as I'm now enjoying refereeing more, albeit with far less games.

I'm 31 but didn't pick up the whistle till the start of last season.

I'm currently going for my level 6, and if successful I will assess whether I think I'm ready to go for my 5 or give myself a season or two at 6 to build up some experience.

I know that due to age somethings will be unobtainable, I'd like to get as far as possible, but I'm happy to go with the flow and see how things work out.

Started at 14, got to L4 by 20y/o, fell out of love completely with refereeing and stepped down at 22.
Partly due to certain people's involvement at senior level (some people on here know exactly what I'm on about, some don't) is what killed it off for me and I may return one day, but you never know.

I was thoroughly happy at L4 itself, being involved in FL/PL u18/21 games as well as lining at Contrib. Decided just before New Year of my final season that I was done that season, regardless of season result personally, so very content I think.

Enjoyed mentoring, watching & advising but can't think of anything worse than assessing/observing, due to referee's changing their style as well as the BS politics around here involved with it!

Turn 17 tomorrow and hope to kick on with the promotion scheme next season, get some open age games in after the new year. The aim is the top... why not :p
I've already been told I am a good Assistant and have been an assistant for a national league ref in a local friendly and he was impressed so looks like that's where I'll be kicking on. Got my first county cup appointment next week so it's all going well at the minute.
In all seriousness, though, I'll go as far as I can, it will all end up depending on my education and employment in the future. Job comes first, reffing second.

Im ambitious without expectation. i failed at l4 last year coz of availability. so i am ever more determined this year and i am pleased to say that by early nov i have hit all the criteria,again, so i am more hopeful this year. i want to get to the highest level i can achieve without having a specific target. the current target is level4... then the next is level 3 and so on and so forth until i go no further.

I'm only 4 games in since getting my first course pass (L9), I have my final test in a month which I expect gets me to L7. I'm enjoying it tremendously, but I travel a lot with work - plus have 2 boys that play, and I'm a coach for one of my boys U13 team... so whilst I'd like to do more and more reffing, my focus is on enjoying them playing. My goal is therefore to keep getting experience, building up my fitness and in 1-2 years see if I want to push it. Can never see myself going beyond L5 given my job commitments.

This is a good thread, very thought provoking

Got to 5 which I was delighted with. Still haunted by the fact that 17 years after starting I have yet to referee a cup final. League or county, it doesn't matter. I've had a cruddy repêchage thing and tournament finals but I've never had a proper one. I'm not greedy, U12s middle will do for me. Maybe this year...

Got to 5 which I was delighted with. Still haunted by the fact that 17 years after starting I have yet to referee a cup final. League or county, it doesn't matter. I've had a cruddy repêchage thing and tournament finals but I've never had a proper one. I'm not greedy, U12s middle will do for me. Maybe this year...
If I can get one. You can ... :)

Back