A&H

Angry parent

DazN

Level 7 Referee
Just been told that a disgruntled parent who was ejected from one of the U13 teams I am officiating on Sunday has posted on social media that he is planning on coming to the (away) game and ‘beating the coach up’ (he has already assaulted the coach hence his ejection)

Hopefully it’s just hot air, but the Police have been informed and have said they will ensure they have a presence in the area (public park).

Just wondering what you would do if the idiot does turn up intent on causing trouble? If it was a regular parent / supporter I could threaten to abandon the game but what do you do when the troublemaker is no longer part of either club and doesn’t care if you threaten to abandon?

I guess the same situation could occur if a bystander / member of the public caused a scene.

The Referee Store
Just been told that a disgruntled parent who was ejected from one of the U13 teams I am officiating on Sunday has posted on social media that he is planning on coming to the (away) game and ‘beating the coach up’ (he has already assaulted the coach hence his ejection)

Hopefully it’s just hot air, but the Police have been informed and have said they will ensure they have a presence in the area (public park).

Just wondering what you would do if the idiot does turn up intent on causing trouble? If it was a regular parent / supporter I could threaten to abandon the game but what do you do when the troublemaker is no longer part of either club and doesn’t care if you threaten to abandon?

I guess the same situation could occur if a bystander / member of the public caused a scene.
If the parent disrupts your match, the home team manager/coach needs to be left to manage the situation while you keep the players safe on the f. o. p.
If necessary take the players to safety (dressing room if available) while it is sorted.
Abandon as a last resort.

If the parent disrupts your match, the home team manager/coach needs to be left to manage the situation while you keep the players safe on the f. o. p.
Agree.
If necessary take the players to safety (dressing room if available) while it is sorted.
Also agree. But feel necessitated to remind of safeguarding best practise.
Away and home manager/coach should be involved. Basically, don't take the children to the changing room/place of safety alone.
Abandon as a last resort.
Agree

Finally, it might be an idea to have a plan for such an eventuality. This may be that you need to talk to everyone and ensure people know their role.

Things like, who rings the police if he turns up? Who are the responsible adults to assist in safeguarding the children? What and when do they need to act?

This will remove any surprises, and people who have a role will know exactly what to do, rather than people to work out the who and what whilst a possible event takes place

Thanks guys.

One of the home parents (DBS checked) is going to act as a temporary safeguarding officer in the event of any problems and they will organise call to Police if necessary.

Both sets of coaching staff are aware and home team coaches will take responsibility for removing players to a safe area away from any possible fracas.

Assuming worst-case scenario and he does turn up, do I have any obligation to act over the parent once he enters f.o.p. or should I just leave it up the coaches?

Assuming worst-case scenario and he does turn up, do I have any obligation to act over the parent once he enters f.o.p. or should I just leave it up the coaches?
Only for him to be removed. technically, it should be the Home club officials who remove him, but if the Away Team are willing to help then let them. Your obligations is to ensure the U13's players are safe.

I don’t know how much they are paying you but why would you put yourself through this stress. Call your refsec/RDO/league say thanks but no thanks and that you’ll swap with someone. But FFS why attend that? It’s someone else’s problem, not yours.

I don’t know how much they are paying you but why would you put yourself through this stress. Call your refsec/RDO/league say thanks but no thanks and that you’ll swap with someone. But FFS why attend that? It’s someone else’s problem, not yours.

I'm not overly stressed by it tbh, but thought it would be good to know what to do should such an occasion arise in the future.

Anyway it's all moot now as the game tomorrow has been rained off and seeing as it was a 'development game' it's highly unlikely it will be rearranged.

Back