A&H

Junior/Youth Appeal The Appeal?

Adam Dyer

A few of you may remember my extraordinary incident a few weeks back with the video and the red card from the kick in the face?

If you do, skip the bit below, if you don't, and fancy a read, here's what happened.

U15 A-League game - 2nd and 3rd in the league on a lets say "Muddy" Surface.
35 mins in, a PK is given for a foul tackle, no booking required as was his first challenge, and was a genuine attempt for the ball.
Opposite captain steps up and takes the penalty, it is saved by the keeper, but this is where the chaos occurs.
Once the GK made the save, the captain lunged in for the ball as it was loose, defending team also had a player lunge in for the ball, once the lunge happened, the captain then kicked the keeper in the face, not sure if it was purposeful or by accident, but it was a second movement and in my opinion he should have gone.
Isolated him, explained decision and he was understanding, kicked off at himself and his coach when he left the pitch.
Then.... While I was dealing with the manager that was assesing the injury to the GK, parents from the team of the captain that was sent were shouting "Come have a look at this video of the penalty before you put that in" What do you guys think?
Also was approached at end by uncle of the offender who I explained decision to but insisted I changed my opinion after seeing this video. I told him my decison is final.

So, the FA came back to me, they supported my decision! Kid got a 3 game ban, missed a cup semi final (Which they lost) and has 1 game left on his NYDAL suspension.

Met the delightful fella last night on a development game, couldn't even look me in the eyes, guessing he's still pretty annoyed at my decision!

The Referee Store
ANDDDD they appealed the appeal! So they're still not happy! Guess players know right... this appeal was also swiftly dismissed

At the time you can only give what you see. I did a game a couple of weeks ago and I was an NAR. All 3 of us had a different opinion on an incident. All 3 of us had a different angle. I wouldn't have looked at the video but I can see why you did at the end of the game. What I don,t understand is that you you changed your opinion of this incident when you saw it, and I imagine when it went to appeal this recording was shown, although does appeal rules allow this at grass roots? If you changed your opinion why didn't the FA rescind the red? Dd the FA talk to you? Would you have been ok if the decision was changed? Was your FA sending out a message saying we are not allowing video evidence from spectators as it could open a can of worms. Should FAs accept video evidence if it is available from spectators for appeals? I don't have any answers to these questions, but I could see how vindictive crowd members could edit a game in a way to show a ref in a bad light, so maybe this is a consideration. At the end of the day your gut said red in the milliseconds you had to decide so at the time and the angle you were right and that it is the important thing.

Sorry reread post. OP did watch video but did not change his opinion. Makes my las post redundent. Sorry guys.

If they want to appeal the decision after the game, there is a process for it. Your decision on the field of play during the game is final, any cards issues must be submitted.

It sounds like they're frivolously appealing in order to get their star player back, your county FA will pass judgement on this, you've done your part so don't worry.

So Northants FA will have thrown out their appeal, but when that happens the player or club can appeal to the Football Association. It is risky on the club's part, as if they lose that final appeal they will be liable for the cost of the hearing, and that can easily amount to £500. If they win then the CFA will be liable for the costs.

The good news for you is that referees are not asked to attend final appeal hearings at Wembley, so it is all finished as far as you are concerned.

35 mins in, a PK is given for a foul tackle, no booking required as was his first challenge, and was a genuine attempt for the ball.

Glad it all worked out for you with the appeal, but thought this was worth commenting on. I obviously wasn't there so can't judge the incident, but it being his first tackle isn't a reason not to caution. If you don't caution a player because 'it's his first one' then that gives license to the other 21 players to stick in one bad tackle before you take action. Then when someone puts in one that you have to caution, they'll say 'But you let him have one ref!' and your match control is affected.

I only point this out as an observer rightly took issue with me saying similar to a player. The observer agreed it wasn't a yellow, but pointed out you just dig yourself into a hole if you let players off expected yellow cards because it was their first foul :)

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but it was a good learning point that I thought worth passing on :)

Back