A&H

AR Pre-Match to Benches

Dicky Herts

Hi. I’m qualified for 14months, now on 6-5 and getting quite a few AR appointments at step 7-9. I’ve read the multiple threads on AR duties and can’t see an answer to my question. Which is…..
What advice would you give for the senior bench side AR pre match talk to benches. I want to have a positive rapport, be brief and not too officious. This is what I try to do now- am I missing anything?
1. Intro with my name.
2. I mention how many I expect in the technical area (subs +named staff team sheet).
3. I remind them to ensure subs are done properly from the halfway line and wait for my signal to go on.
4. I ask them to ask subs to warm up without interfering with my path.
5. I tell them that only 2 should stand in the technical area.
Does that sound about right?

The Referee Store
Hi. I’m qualified for 14months, now on 6-5 and getting quite a few AR appointments at step 7-9. I’ve read the multiple threads on AR duties and can’t see an answer to my question. Which is…..
What advice would you give for the senior bench side AR pre match talk to benches. I want to have a positive rapport, be brief and not too officious. This is what I try to do now- am I missing anything?
1. Intro with my name.
2. I mention how many I expect in the technical area (subs +named staff team sheet).
3. I remind them to ensure subs are done properly from the halfway line and wait for my signal to go on.
4. I ask them to ask subs to warm up without interfering with my path.
5. I tell them that only 2 should stand in the technical area.
Does that sound about right?
I think 'brief and not too officious' is perfect.

I don't think people pay attention to whatever you say half the time anyway. If there is a big gap between technical areas I often point out that I may need a nice loud shout if they want a sub and that I occasionally go abit deaf when there's lots of shouting so if it's something important they may need to shout more than once to get my attention.

I think intro with your name, reminding them about subs and where for them to warm up etc are the most important bits. They should know about 2 standing already. Whether they choose to follow it or not is another matter, but the key thing is you don't want to leave the impression 'oh dear, looks like he's gonna be a bit busy today'.

I think 'brief and not too officious' is perfect.

I don't think people pay attention to whatever you say half the time anyway. If there is a big gap between technical areas I often point out that I may need a nice loud shout if they want a sub and that I occasionally go abit deaf when there's lots of shouting so if it's something important they may need to shout more than once to get my attention.

I think intro with your name, reminding them about subs and where for them to warm up etc are the most important bits. They should know about 2 standing already. Whether they choose to follow it or not is another matter, but the key thing is you don't want to leave the impression 'oh dear, looks like he's gonna be a bit busy today'.
Thank you. That sounds like good advice.

Hi, I'm Dicky, nice to meet you. If you need me for a sub or anything else let me know. Good luck.

pretty much all i ever say, if i say anything at all

as @RefereeX says, they probably aren't paying attention anyway so is there any point spending 10/15 seconds chatting to each bench outlining expectations?

they know the rules, if they get out of line tell/warn/act etc.
Ok when you explain it like that I get it- thanks

Reactions: es1
I usually go with something like...

Hi I’m refollie, but feel free to scream LIIINNOOO if I don’t hear you the first time.

Seems to get things off to a good start rapport-wise

Reactions: es1
I usually go with something like...

Hi I’m refollie, but feel free to scream LIIINNOOO if I don’t hear you the first time.

Seems to get things off to a good start rapport-wise
I’ve usually get “Oi Liiinnooo - help him out will ya - you saw it”

I’ve usually get “Oi Liiinnooo - help him out will ya - you saw it”
This one makes me laugh, particularly in situations where the referee gives a foul and they're arguing we should be helping out by saying it isn't a foul. I'm not sure how they expect us to act on this, even if that is the case?
Ref awards free kick, I come running on "no, no no, he got the ball!"

As brief as possible, I just told them my name and tell them to let me know when they wanted a substitution. Pretty much the same when I've been 4th official as well. They should know the regulations and how to behave, but you can monitor early on and have a quiet word if they it looks like there might be issues.

When I first got step 1 line and had 4th official appointments the other officials all told me to have "minimal involvement". Just leave them to it and only get involved if they are too loud and public, don't worry about them stepping outside of their technical areas unless it is going to cause issues, etc. Which is pretty much what we see with the 4ths officials in the pro game.

I think this probably varies from place to place.

Where I am, for serious fixtures, the officials' pre-match with each head coach/manager - normally on the field during warm up, led by the ref - this covers warm up areas (nearly always to the side of one goal, not sideline), technical areas, sub procedure if necessary, and confirmation that the names on the (electronic) match card have been confirmed and don't need any last minute fixes.

I note the names of the coaching staff on my sub card. If I have any doubt that the had coach is not present at kick off, I will ask the bench - no surprises - I don't want to ask the ref to come and card the head coach for a non-identified verbal offence - to find he/she are not there!!

If the teams are new to me I might introduce myself before kick off with a very brief reminder to ask me for subs (i.e. not shout at the ref) and that I will be paying attention. But even that is unnecessary and I only do it if I can sense they might already be moody for some unknown reason or daft!

The only other things to find out, if you don't already know is the name of the manager and his asst, so you can ask them (with their names) to ......

Back