A&H

AR throws up during SPFL match

The Referee Store
Poor guy, but credit for trying to keep going.

A real question ,how long do you give him until you decide he can't continue and let the 4th official take over?

A real question ,how long do you give him until you decide he can't continue and let the 4th official take over?

Not your decision - only the AR will know if he can carry on.

If the AR has finished throwing up, he might feel fine and want to continue.

However, as a ref I would be concerned about dehydration, especially if the weather is on the warm side and it's been a fast game.

I'd rather damage the ARs pride by switching him with the 4th official rather than risk them piling in with dehydration. Even if they aren't bad enough to collapse dehydration can have a huge impact on mental faculties.

i know the ar personally,one of my referee assosciation, great guy, and if he had any doubts about his healthhe would have come off

It's not just down to safety, it's credibility: If your assistant has been throwing up at the side of the pitch, what credibility does he have for the rest of the game?

Strange. Some players do this regularly and no one questions them if they're fit to continue. Zinedine Zidane was well known for puking during games, Lionel Messi has done it, Peter Schmiechel albeit in a very stressful situation. I've even had a player puke twice within a minute during a cup final the other week, in the centre circle. And we all know what Gary Lineker has admitted to doing on the pitch. Sometimes, your pre-match meal just doesn't want to stay in.

Back