A&H

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

Adam Dyer

Two points in this game for people watching
1- First Half. Alonso on Walcott, penalty or no penalty?
2- Koscielny Red card, was is DOGSO or do you think Red was harsh?

The Referee Store
No pen, Alonso got enough on the ball for me. As for Bayern's penalty, no intent to play the ball 7/8 yards from goal, nailed on DOGSO. Was surprised when ref initially showed yellow, presume the statue behind the goal offered a different opinion.

The lack of understanding of the laws of the game by the commentary team especially by an ex-player like Keown is alarming!

No pen, Alonso got enough on the ball for me. As for Bayern's penalty, no intent to play the ball 7/8 yards from goal, nailed on DOGSO. Was surprised when ref initially showed yellow, presume the statue behind the goal offered a different opinion.
It comes to angles at the end of the day, depends the view of the ref, so if the 5th gave that, it seems it's a fantastic decision

Posts from elsewhere

...looks like the 5th official has changed the ref's mind on the penalty sanction.

I think the ref has done great - it's his first time out in the Champs' lg as the commentators keep mentioning but there goes match control.

Soft pen... but there is no attempt to play the ball... I think here, if you give the pen then the red has to follow... presumably this is what the 5th official has whispered in the mic.

What say you?

Definitely an OGSO IMO so RC was correct, not sure where that little yellow popped from. I didn't think the Arsenal one was a pen either at match speed but a few around me weren't as sure...

Another embarrassing night for Arsenal, put up a decent fight in the first half, totally outclassed and humiliated in the 2nd, just as they were in the first leg!

Definitely an OGSO IMO so RC was correct, not sure where that little yellow popped from. I didn't think the Arsenal one was a pen either at match speed but a few around me weren't as sure...

Only reason I can think of why the ref originally showed a yellow was construing Lewandowski clipping the ball as Koscielny touching it. Quickly corrected by his assistant.

What is more frustrating than anything is a lack of knowledge of the Laws by everyone else. Thought the ref had a great game really, contrary to the commentators'/public's opinion.

Seen it now and if you give the penalty it has to be a red. It wasn't a mistimed tackle, but rather was a push and the laws are clear that this still results in a sending off. Still poor refereeing though - you never, ever get a yellow card out in that situation until you have spoken to your assistants. At that level there is instant comms and that really should have never happened.

Felt a little for the referee. That was his first ever Champion's League knockout game, and let's face it, had the score been 1-1, 1-2 or even 1-3 there is no way he would have been given it and it would have gone to one of the big hitters. So he was on something of a hiding to nothing - if the game was one sided he would struggle to show his abilities so the best he could really hope for was a one sided game with no controversial decisions. Whereas in reality he has had the worst of both worlds, one sided game and controversial decisions, and I suspect he is going to get panned for showing a yellow and then changing it to a red. Can understand why that happened but it is amateurish at best ...

Padfoot said:
the caution is perfectly credible
I'm interested in how you arrive at that conclusion when the law says it should still be a red card if
The offence is holding, pulling or pushing ...
Since that is what happened here, how do you reckon a yellow is credible?
No pen, Alonso got enough on the ball for me.
Even if Alonso got something on the ball (and I'm not sure he did, based on the replays I saw) getting the ball first is not an excuse for fouling a player. There was clearly careless contact with Walcott, sufficient to bring him down. Irrespective of getting the ball, that's enough for a penalty, IMHO.

I'm interested in how you arrive at that conclusion when the law says it should still be a red card if

Since that is what happened here, how do you reckon a yellow is credible?

Even if Alonso got something on the ball (and I'm not sure he did, based on the replays I saw) getting the ball first is not an excuse for fouling a player. There was clearly careless contact with Walcott, sufficient to bring him down. Irrespective of getting the ball, that's enough for a penalty, IMHO.

The word "credible" doesn't always mean "correct" there is a subtle difference.....especially given that it is debatable whether the Bayern threw himself to the floor because of the hand, or because of the clumsy leg contact.....there was both.....clearly the referee had taken the view that it was the leg contact, hence the caution......to be talked into the red card by a largely pointless addition to the officiating team is just ludicrous.

The AAR should have just been told to shut the hell up and wind his neck in........wasn't a clear error in law therefore needed absolutely no intervention from anyone.

I think that at Grassroots level that red card is a god send!

It'll make people talk and is correct in law. It takes away a bit of the 'Do what you want and it's only a yellow' element

Alonso one very debatable I don't think he got the ball at all and if he did it was the faintest of touches at match speed no way you could have called it, whereas his contact with Walcott was clear.

Second pen this is where I am going to be controversial first viewing which I would have based my decision on was contact between two players, one fell down - no pen! :facepalm:

Look at these stills http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ions-League-Robert-Lewandowski-sportgalleries shows both players are wrestling for the ball Koscienly in front of Lewandowski and yet he throws himself forward??? Sorry folks not convinced it is a penalty let alone a red card offence IMHO.

1) https://streamable.com/6u2hb
Got a solid touch on the ball, minimal force used, contact was incidental. No foul

2) https://www.facebook.com/groups/673...oup_comment_mention&notif_id=1488970302982641

Problem is, the player was well and truly offside before getting the ball (can't believe the AR missed that). However, moving past that - it was a trip made in an attempt to charge the player. That can't be a 'genuine attempt on the ball', so a red card is correct. Good on him for having the courage to change the decision.

Look at these stills http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ions-League-Robert-Lewandowski-sportgalleries shows both players are wrestling for the ball Koscienly in front of Lewandowski and yet he throws himself forward??? Sorry folks not convinced it is a penalty let alone a red card offence IMHO.

Upon first viewing I thought no foul - but then I saw the leg contact. From the leg contact the fall looks natural to me; I don't think you could argue anything else with that amount of leg contact. It's enough to bring somebody down. He clips the knee, then his leg gets in front which knocks the back leg.

One thing I'd be interested in the opinion of you guys of, was whether the ref was correct to change his mind. Regardless of the reasoning behind producing the yellow, should the referee have then changed that to red or stuck with it even after getting a second opinion? In an ideal world, he would have got the second opinion beforehand ...

Upon first viewing I thought no foul - but then I saw the leg contact. From the leg contact the fall looks natural to me; I don't think you could argue anything else with that amount of leg contact. It's enough to bring somebody down. He clips the knee, then his leg gets in front which knocks the back leg.
You only get one look therefore your decision was no foul!

One thing I'd be interested in the opinion of you guys of, was whether the ref was correct to change his mind. Regardless of the reasoning behind producing the yellow, should the referee have then changed that to red or stuck with it even after getting a second opinion? In an ideal world, he would have got the second opinion beforehand ...
Absolutely, if he becomes aware of something and before play restarts he is well within his rights to change his mind. I am assuming here he was spoken to through the mics

1) https://streamable.com/6u2hb
Got a solid touch on the ball, minimal force used, contact was incidental. No foul

2) https://www.facebook.com/groups/673...oup_comment_mention&notif_id=1488970302982641

Problem is, the player was well and truly offside before getting the ball (can't believe the AR missed that). However, moving past that - it was a trip made in an attempt to charge the player. That can't be a 'genuine attempt on the ball', so a red card is correct. Good on him for having the courage to change the decision.

So it was a trip......which was possibly from an attempt to play the ball........just as likely as the guesswork that it was an attempted charge......

Stupid decision from the AAR to get involved, even more moronic decision from the referee to listen to him.

Back