A&H

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

Oh get over yourself, FFS.

Whether a trip while attempting to charge a player off the ball can constitute a genuine attempt on the ball is an interesting question and a grey area in the LOTG. The argument could be made that given the defender was trying to (fairly) charge the attacker off the ball, and the trip was a result of a poorly executed charge, that they're not playing the ball

just as likely as the guesswork that it was an attempted charge......

Sigh, not guesswork padfoot. It's because if you actually bother to watch the video it's quite clear that the defender tried to complete a legal charge as you can see from the upper body contact. I can see that because, y'know, I'm not a total idiot. Despite what you seem to think.

and the AAR did his job to speak to the referee when he perceived a significant and obvious error

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Oh get over yourself, FFS.

Whether a trip while attempting to charge a player off the ball can constitute a genuine attempt on the ball is an interesting question and a grey area in the LOTG. The argument could be made that given the defender was trying to (fairly) charge the attacker off the ball, and the trip was a result of a poorly executed charge, that they're not playing the ball

Sigh, not guesswork padfoot. It's because if you actually bother to watch the video it's quite clear that the defender tried to complete a legal charge as you can see from the upper body contact. I can see that because, y'know, I'm not a total idiot. Despite what you seem to think.

and the AAR did his job to speak to the referee when he perceived a significant and obvious error

Clearly not obvious......the player was offside in the first place....it's incredibly debatable whether it even was a penalty.....and as you've already conceded a trip in the execution of a legal charge is a grey area in Law. So no, not obvious at all, and not necessarily an error.

The referee should have had the ******** to tell the AAR to wind his neck in and upheld the caution......changing after he had shown the yellow card was amateurish......

The referee should have had the ******** to tell the AAR to wind his neck in and upheld the caution......changing after he had shown the yellow card was amateurish......

Isn't his job to aid the referee? We are all human and make mistakes ...

Clearly not obvious......the player was offside in the first place....it's incredibly debatable whether it even was a penalty.....and as you've already conceded a trip in the execution of a legal charge is a grey area in Law. So no, not obvious at all, and not necessarily an error.

No, standing by what he believed to be a significant error was amateurish. Admitting a mistake takes courage and integrity. AAR did the right thing when he perceived an obvious and match changing error - and he did it in a way that doesn't undermine the referee (as calling him over would).

I would argue that jumping up and down and publicly accusing referees of incompetence would be more amateurish - not to mention undoubtedly in breach of your code of conduct, assuming you're still an active referee.

As for 'obvious' - that has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's a potential grey area in the laws. Not a thing.

One thing I'd be interested in the opinion of you guys of, was whether the ref was correct to change his mind. Regardless of the reasoning behind producing the yellow, should the referee have then changed that to red or stuck with it even after getting a second opinion?
The referee is perfectly entitled to change his decision here. As Law 5 states:
The referee may only change a decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official, provided play has not restarted or the referee has signalled the end of the first or second half (including extra time) and left the field of play or terminated the match.
Stupid decision from the AAR to get involved
No, it's what he's supposed to do. According to Law 6 it is the duty of the other match officials to:
assist the referee with offences and infringements when they have a clearer view than the referee
It is also part off the specific remit of the AAR to help out with offences in the penalty area and they're positioned where they are precisely to assist with offences such as this.

Back