A&H

Arsenal v Sunderland - backpass

David F

Clearly a backpass at 4:37 in the YouTube clip, but why is the IDFK taken from right on the goal line (in fact, slightly inside the six yard box)?

Surely it should've been from the point on the goal area line closest to the incident parallel to the goal line, which would have been a much better scoring opportunity? That is, six yards out almost in line with the post…

The Referee Store
Brain fart or lack of law knowledge? They've at least realised that it shouldn't be taken from the point of the offence.

Did the referee mark out 10-yards? Certainly doesn't look like it!

Since when can you scoop it up like that!!! I thought that was not allowed (Dennis Tueart etc)

Fair enough, see, I've learned something, never seen it done since the 70s, i'd assumed it was outlawed!!

Fair enough, see, I've learned something, never seen it done since the 70s, i'd assumed it was outlawed!!
I think it was - for a few years at least. In the year following the (in)famous Willie Carr/Ernie Hunt free kick in 1970, the IFAB banned lifting the ball with both feet and I think the same prohibition applied to lifting it with one foot. However at some point that ruling was reversed. I'm not sure exactly when, but it was at some point between 1990 and 2000 because the 1990 FIFA Q&A said it was not allowed but in 2000 the opposite was the case.

Back