A&H

Assignment to a supply league

Quick one......

When promoted to level 4 who decides and how do they decide which league you go on?

I've seen 2 guys in the same town assigned to different leagues?

The Referee Store
it's based on where you live, the amount of supply leagues in your area and which of those is in greater need of officials

in your colleagues case, just luck that they each went different ways!

Around here you go onto a pool. That pool comprises of four leagues.
My way that is Cheshire, West Cheshire, Manchester and Liverpool or north west counties as an assistant. I think they also,if short, might send further afield contrib wise but I might be wrong.
You are appointed centrally by the FA to 1 of the four leagues.
Thats my understanding at the moment anyway

The FA decides based on a number of criteria, of which geography is most significant.

All down to location, and you can move from season to season. The introduction of pools has changed this, but that doesn't apply to all leagues yet. So for example here, if you live in East, North or North East London you'll be off to the Essex South Midlands Pool, whereas until recently you would have gone to one of the Essex Senior League or the Spartan South Midlands League. Whereas North West and West London, and Middlesex, you could be off to the Essex South Midlands Pool, Combined Counties or Hellenic.

Quick one......

When promoted to level 4 who decides and how do they decide which league you go on?

I've seen 2 guys in the same town assigned to different leagues?

Most supply leagues at step 7 are in Pools, supply leagues above tended be to the league. In Yorkshire, we have a pool from Bradford to Hull, to create a big number of games to appoint you to.

So now my question is who decides and can you make a request?

The FA allocate based on geography of your principal address and the needs for the local leagues. If one league has need for more referees, then tend to appoint there.
Referees are allocated geographical, so that the match fees for travel are not excessive (if your league pays them). Unless you fall between two areas, there is little ability for you to make a request.

There is someone who was on the Yorkshire Pool last season and moved (by request) to the North East Counties Div 1 pool.

This is absolutely the exception rather than the rule though as @lincs22 says. You'll need a good reason and a sympathetic ear to move from where you've been allocated.

I only raise the issue as where I live I should drop into the Wessex but where I work I would drop into the Hellenic or Combined counties so wondering how they would allocate with that in mind

I only raise the issue as where I live I should drop into the Wessex but where I work I would drop into the Hellenic or Combined counties so wondering how they would allocate with that in mind
This is a fair point - I work about half an hour South from where I live, so it's not too big a deal for me. But I do have a midweek match coming up with is right at the North end of the area I'd usually expect to be appointed in. From work, it's an hour and a quarter in good traffic, probably nearer 1.45 in rush hour. If I leave at 5 and the ref wants me there an hour before kick off, that's cutting it pretty fine.

Of course, I'm registered with the league at my home address, which would be a fairly reasonable 45-60 minute drive to this ground. I've had no problem getting there for weekend matches. And I get that it's a lot to ask for a ref sec to remember that kind of detail about my life, but it does make it a little tricky.

I am waiting on the decision too- Hellenic (where I have been lining for 4years), Western or Wessex.

Would rather be appointed to Hellenic as I know the grounds, I understand the Western has just gone over to fixed fees so a trip to Barnstaple will see me broke!

They will allocate your supply league based on where you live, not where you work.
Exactly. Which was absolutely fine when they were only using me on Saturdays, but makes life a little trickier when they start using me more in midweek.

Exactly. Which was absolutely fine when they were only using me on Saturdays, but makes life a little trickier when they start using me more in midweek.

You can tell your supply league appointments officer where you work and he may well agree to take that into account when appointing. I was on one of the biggest supply leagues geographically though, and despite living right on the Southern border of it I would often games right at the Northern end even midweek. 50 mile journeys in rush hour traffic on the M1 or A1 not much fun, could easily take 2 hours, but that's the extra commitment needed for L4 and above.

Likewise when you are a L4, you could tell the FA and they may bear this in mind for midweek contrib games. Actually you really do need to tell them, as they will appoint you with officials who live close to you, or on route to the ground, so if you work nowhere near home that will break joint travel. There is a function on MOAS called away from home, where you can say you are away from home on specific days and give the location. Think that's designed for when you are in a completely different part of the country, but perhaps could be used for your work address.

Yeah, it's difficult - I almost think the best solution might be to reset my "address" to where I work and then I just have slightly longer drives to deal with on Saturdays maybe? I do think it's a bit much to ask to expect them to remember details about me specifically.

However, I think this game is about as far North as they'll send me on this league, so I'll give it a go, maybe try and negotiate to leave work a little early on this occasion and make a judgement call for future reference.

What level are you Graeme? If you are going for level 4 then you cannot give your work address as your base, it has to be your home address. Otherwise you are heading for problems. For example, let's take a Saturday when you are travelling from home. Your work address (that you have told the FA is your home address) is 5 miles from the ground, but your actually home address is 35 miles from the ground. You would only be able to claim the 10 mile round trip rather than the 70 mile round trip that you have actually travelled, leaving you in the region of £20 out of pocket.

Similar applies for joint travel arrangements. They will assume you are at "home" on a Saturday, which they think is where you work. You'll be setting yourself up for all kinds of problems.

What level are you Graeme? If you are going for level 4 then you cannot give your work address as your base, it has to be your home address. Otherwise you are heading for problems. For example, let's take a Saturday when you are travelling from home. Your work address (that you have told the FA is your home address) is 5 miles from the ground, but your actually home address is 35 miles from the ground. You would only be able to claim the 10 mile round trip rather than the 70 mile round trip that you have actually travelled, leaving you in the region of £20 out of pocket.

Similar applies for joint travel arrangements. They will assume you are at "home" on a Saturday, which they think is where you work. You'll be setting yourself up for all kinds of problems.
Ah good point - I'm waiting on confirmation of my level 5, so not yet working at a level where travel expenses, or even frequent joint travel are a thing! Aw well, I guess I'll have to find another way round it.

The other point @GraemeS is would your work address put you into a different CFA's control.

It can happen around York, so you like in North Riding but work in East Riding.

Back