A&H

Assistant refereeing

Will Triffitt

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I have a Dorset premier League game (top league in the county) that I am an assistant on. It is my first game at this level. I haven't been AR that often before but done it in county events at a youth and women's level. This is adult men football! Are there any tips that you may have?
Thanks

The Referee Store
Do whatever your referee says!

Sound reductive I know, but different referees will have different expectations and if your referee has any experience at this level, he should be super clear when briefing you. Try not to bring any of your own habits into the game unless encouraged by the referee.

More generally, the only things I'd say are: crab wherever you can, and keep the flag in the appropriate hand at all times.

Don't f**k up. :)

And by that, I mean, don't let the referee restart the game incorrectly.

I try and do every game as AR in the way that I expect the best ARs to do it when I am in the middle.

And I don't let up. Concentrate for the whole game. It's not such a physical test (if you can sprint) so stay alert. Don't panic. No rush. Stay aware of your ref. Because of the flag, slack body language is really obvious from an AR in a serious game. Keep it neat. I find it funny when the best young ARs are flicking their hair or are hand-on-hips at the half way line. CONCENTRATE! It's not a tea break just because the ball is at the other end!

And yes, crab everything you can.

Remember to keep moving at the wait and see offside situations. Don't stop while waiting. And, probably an obvious one, but always go with ball - run all the way to the goal line when there is a winger and a cross etc.

Another one is that little moment before a goal kick or corner signal. If you have to take some steps towards the goal line: crab before a GK signal, but run forwards before giving the corner.
---
I had quite a serious one tonight. That ended 4-7 and was quite unbelievable at times. Great finishing helped by a very, very good carpet of fake grass. I just try to do it like I would if it was on the telly. Not showy. Honest. Tidy. A few words if really necessary. Faithful to the ref (even if he/she is not giving foul throws - argh! I always check with the ref if he/she wants to watch the throws - drives me nuts!).
---
One last word of warning. If your ref says "I like to let the players play" be prepared for a frustrating game. I hate this. It basically means that you can't apply the laws yourself because the ref is not going to give some fouls, doesn't mind keeper handling outside the box, foul throws etc...

Hi all,

I have a Dorset premier League game (top league in the county) that I am an assistant on. It is my first game at this level. I haven't been AR that often before but done it in county events at a youth and women's level. This is adult men football! Are there any tips that you may have?
Thanks
Some hints:
- flag for offside from goal kicks
- indicate throw-ins in the wrong direction, then reverse as the referee goes with you
- starting chatting to a person behind you while play is progressing
- don't tie your boot laces properly so they trip you up
- drop your flag on a promising break
- let the flag come off the stick
- if the ref has buzzers, buzz at the most inappropriate moments
- wear muddy kit
- turn up 15 minutes before KO, as the referee and other AR will have dealt with the other problems
- warm up by having a cigarette and drinking a lucozade

Some of the things I have seen as an Observer!!!!!:eek:

Some hints:
- flag for offside from goal kicks
- indicate throw-ins in the wrong direction, then reverse as the referee goes with you
- starting chatting to a person behind you while play is progressing
- don't tie your boot laces properly so they trip you up
- drop your flag on a promising break
- let the flag come off the stick
- if the ref has buzzers, buzz at the most inappropriate moments
- wear muddy kit
- turn up 15 minutes before KO, as the referee and other AR will have dealt with the other problems
- warm up by having a cigarette and drinking a lucozade

Some of the things I have seen as an Observer!!!!!:eek:

Didn't know you'd been to one of my games...

Reactions: SM
- indicate throw-ins in the wrong direction
We've all done this at some point on the line, I'm sure. If you do flag the wrong way and need to change, make sure to bring the flag back down before changing hands, then raise the flag again. Don't change the direction of the flag in mid-air, in front of your face. Most importantly of all, don't do the CAR trick of holding the flag in your right hand, and indicating a throw to the left by holding the flag horizontally behind your head.
Flag work should always be clear, clean and crisp.

The game was interesting! Finished green 3-4 blue. 2 penalties (1 missed), 5 yellows, 1 red, I ruled out a goal for offside. I got a lot of stuff being shouted at me for every decision, even throws! For the goal that I ruled out (it was the 2nd half), the winger on the far side of the pitch was about 1 yard off, very clear! The ref didn't see me until the goal had been scored but he was fine with it (I had put flag straight up) but it built up the aggression levels! The game though was very entertaining. We got a huge amount of moaning at half time because the ref, rightly in my opinion, decided not to give a penalty to the home team which would have given them a chance to equalise. One player in particular was arguing as a steward was taking us off the pitch so we just laughed it off! Full time, had a lot of 'useless referees' and 'worst we had all season' and 'not shaking your hand because we lost due to you', again from the home team (green). A nasty injury to the keeper (was a bad collision which injured the keepers thigh) meant the blue keeper had to go off (at which point blue were losing 3-2 after being 2-0 up!). Green were frustrated at how they lost the game. Really, we didn't do badly, it was a lot of frustration from green. Overall, it wasn't a comfortable start to the Dorset Premier League but it wasn't too bad!

Back