A&H

Bad game?

Alan Collins

What do you do after you've had a bad game?

Yesterday morning I had my first game as a referee, as a last-minute favour for a friend (their ref pulled out shortly before kick-off) - and as such I was on my own (in as much as I didn't have a mentor present because it was short notice).

I made a few poor decisions early on (including one where I had stopped play for a handball and inadvertently signalled the wrong way for the resulting free kick) and lost control of the game early on. It was only a friendly (and the players knew I was a trainee), so they weren't too concerned, but it was still a knock to my confidence, knowing that there were many situations during the 90 minutes that I should have handled better.

The Referee Store
It seems as though you have pretty much already done it!
knowing that there were many situations during the 90 minutes that I should have handled better.
It appears that you have gone over some situations that have occurred in your game and have realised how you should've dealt with them!

Realistically, you just need to pick yourself up and go out again as soon as you can! Remember, Howard Webb didn't do the World Cup Final after just his first game! It took him many games to build up to it - same with you! It was only your first game, you should expect learning points to result from it.

Best wishes for your next game.

One trick that I use if I put my hand up the wrong way for a hand ball is as soon as I realise it's the wrong way (shortly after the shouts from the players) I use my other hand and tap my already outstretched arm in a hand ball signal, then I put it up the right way. Some players notice and I have a joke with them, others don't and so they think I'm just explaining it. ;)

But on a more serious note, don't dwell on your mistakes, think about why you made them, what influenced you (ie. players, spectators) and think about things you can do to improve your game. (E.G. Better positioning, waiting a second or 2 before signalling for a decision).

It was your first game, I was clueless at my first game, I didn't know what to do or where to go but now I have done my first season and have learnt so much in a short time and I am sure you will do the same :)

Chin up and move on to your next game :)

I learnt a trick from Sian Massey, which I use for decisions as well as games, "put it on the shelf" it's happend you can't change it, so why dwell on it?

Just get back to it, and try and get a mentor to your next few games and they will be able to guide you. I wouldn't be the referee I am today without being mentored at the academy.

We all have 'those moments' as referees, no matter if we've passed the course the day before or officiated a World Cup Final.

We are human and mistakes (no matter the size) will be made from time to time.

I am a firm believer in reflection and the ways in which I can better myself, especially in refereeing! I find it very beneficial for my progression and development, of being aware and honest with ourselves in terms of our refereeing and areas of development during our games.

After all of my games, I find it very helpful to write down one or two points on what I could have done better during that specific game and then ensure I work on them in the next game I officiate.

No matter how bad a game has been it is always best to remain calm and focused, and not dwell on mistakes that have been made. Just learn from them and move on...

We have all had those games. My wife has even taken the kids out for the evening after I've come home from one particular shocker. I thought that the game was beneath me and started to treat it as such. 2 fights, 3 reds and 2 players in hospital following shocking tackles. I was fortunate enough to have an experienced referee watch as he'd lost his game.
Initially he ripped me to pieces. I needed it. Then he put me back together again. He got me a floodlit game the next night and turned up with quite a few of our RA. They all came in to wish me luck. No one offered any advise though. I went out and had a cracking game.
The advise you need is to get back out there as soon as possible. Don't worry about signalling the wrong way. We've all done it and we'll all continue to do it from time to time. Apologise and laugh it off just make sure that everyone is back in position before the restart.
So try to get yourself another game to enjoy. It really is great out there.

To add to some of the points above, the one thing I would say is bear in mind it was your very first middle. While it would be nice to be as good a ref as you want to be straight off the bat, becoming a good referee is a process which takes a bit if time, reflection and practice. You have the laws of the game in your head, you are now working to add the skills of refereeing to your toolkit. Even when you do think you have gotten good at refereeing, I have news for you, plenty more learning, practising and reflection required to get even better!! Always learning because once you think you know it all, you are stagnating!

Some of what you mentioned are tiny indiscretions. Signalling the wrong way? Hands up who does that a few times a season? Laugh, sorry lads arms and brain are not cooperating. Get on with the game. You say you lost control of the game? It was your first game in A preseason match. What you really sound like you lost was your self confidence. Do a search for confidence in TED lectures on YouTube. Really worth watching. Really. Could help you a lot in life In general as well as on the field of play! Fake it until you make it!

Your being too hard on yourself and dwelling in the negatives of the experience. You haven't really mentioned any positives from the game?

Anyway. Next game will be coming soon. And practise your smile, because nothing projects confidence like a smiling referee enjoying himself on the pitch.

Thanks for your advice and support guys!!

It seems as though you have pretty much already done it!

It appears that you have gone over some situations that have occurred in your game and have realised how you should've dealt with them!

I have my course tutor to thank for that - after cursing (a lot) on the way home, I allowed myself some time to "chill out" before going through the self evaluation questions provided in the BRC folder.

One trick that I use if I put my hand up the wrong way for a hand ball is as soon as I realise it's the wrong way (shortly after the shouts from the players) I use my other hand and tap my already outstretched arm in a hand ball signal, then I put it up the right way. Some players notice and I have a joke with them, others don't and so they think I'm just explaining it. ;)

Haha!! If I wasn't so nervous, I may have been able to react quickly enough to do that. However, both captains came up to me and said I'd made the wrong call (which I had already realised) so I signalled the other way and restarted play appropriately, which I think the players appreciated. As I said, they knew I was only a trainee and, to be fair to them, they didn't try to take the mickey (at least, not during the first half).

Just get back to it, and try and get a mentor to your next few games and they will be able to guide you. I wouldn't be the referee I am today without being mentored at the academy.

I'm in contact with my mentor co-ordinator at the moment. I've explained what happened on Sunday, and that I won't accept another game unless I have a mentor with me.

Initially he ripped me to pieces. I needed it. Then he put me back together again. He got me a floodlit game the next night and turned up with quite a few of our RA. They all came in to wish me luck. No one offered any advise though. I went out and had a cracking game.

That's why I'm not going to accept another game unless there is a mentor available. While I know where I went wrong in some places, I think the experience a mentor would bring would help me realise where else I went wrong and, crucially, how to improve!

You say you lost control of the game? It was your first game in A preseason match. What you really sound like you lost was your self confidence. Do a search for confidence in TED lectures on YouTube. Really worth watching. Really. Could help you a lot in life In general as well as on the field of play! Fake it until you make it!

Thanks - will give that a try. After a few bad calls (more to do with my positioning on the pitch, where I couldn't see if an infringement had occurred or not - and, if so, by whom) I started to hesitate before making a decision. Think I do need to do a bit more to build my confidence up on the pitch again.

Your being too hard on yourself and dwelling in the negatives of the experience. You haven't really mentioned any positives from the game?

To be fair, there were more negatives than positives. Sure, there were positives to come from the game (which I have also made a note of), but I think the negatives have overshadowed them somewhat which affected my confidence during the game.

Back