A&H

Ball moving at IDFK

TheRef

Open Age game, Orange vs Blue.

Midway through second half I gave an IDFK against Blue for their GK picking up the ball from a passback. He picked the ball up inside the 6 yard box. Cue complaints from keeper of "I'm not Messi ref, what do you want me to do?". Set up the free kick, defending team on the goal line in-between the posts. Orange player has foot on top of the ball to move it so that his team-mate can shoot.

Blew the whistle, player moved the ball very slightly and then removed his foot, his team-mate didn't try and play the ball. Blue GK runs out and picks up the ball. Play on as far as I am concerned, the ball has moved, albeit very slightly. Orange team were trying to say that the ball has to move a complete rotation before an opposing player can touch it. End up with two cautions for dissent after it and the assessor agreed with my decision making.

Never saw that happen before so I thought I would share it.

The Referee Store
Complete rotation? That got taken out of the laws...what, 20 years ago!!
The only debate is whether 'moves' means 'wobbles' or 'rolls'. Personally I don't think there's much debate. Movement is movement - and it says 'moves' not 'rolls'. You made the right decision.
Sounds like an O35 match :p

Well as you saw, they're still running with the 20 yr old notion of 'rolls the circumference'. And if you're a younger ref then of course they won't believe you :p

Back