A&H

Barnsley vs Wycombe

The Referee Store
Totally agree, but in the "what does the game expect" court, the only people disagreeing are Wycombe fans and smattering of those with a keen eye on the LoTG.

From most other sources I think "what the game expects" is what the game got. Comeuppance!
Except, I am certain, that if you put every single one of the jurors in Wycombe's position and they would take an entirely different view.

As a referee, as much as I want to give this as a goal, I am not. It's a free kick for me. If not I'd have to deal with the goalkeepers being challenged after being in control of the ball for the rest of the game and how inconsistent my decisions would be.

There doesn't have to be a 'foul' committed here. Any challenge (even without a carless push) for the ball is an offence. And that is exactly why the attacker was there, to challenge for the ball.

It's no different to when an attacker takes a dive after being fouled. You don't want to give the foul but it comes first. And strictly speaking simulation/deceive is only when they do it into fooling you to give a free kick and since you are giving the free kick anyway, technically it's not deceiving.

Back