A&H

Become a Better Assistant Referee

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Before I start... remember this phrase "The Flash Lag Effect".

Last week, we were fortunate enough at Cornwall FA to have Premier League Assistant Referee Simon Long take us for a coaching session. He set up a little square and had a tutor feeding balls in to an attacker, with two defenders in the box trying to catch the striker offside. At the same time, a group of us would take turns running the line, calling the decisions as we saw them. Simon was sat on the side with a view right across the defensive line with his iPad recording the exercise.

Once we had gone inside for some fantastic presentations, he told us that about 80% of the decisions were incorrect. We were all taken aback by it all and thought "no chance, I'm a good Assistant"... He talked to us about the flash lag effect. He said, how many of you made the "he is just offside" call... the majority of us raised our hands. Well, he sent the videos through to us via email and I was Interested to see why he though 80% of us were incorrect. Now, being one for development and training, I decided to open the videos in an Adobe programme and go to the frame at the exact pointbthe ball was kicked... I was astounded by the results. Some of the calls are absolutely unbelievable, both correct and incorrect. I couldn't believe how many level 9-4's were getting these calls wrong, including myself who got 1 out of 3 incorrect. Quite a few got 3 out of 3 wrong, only one referee got all three correct (there were three in total that got them all correct but their chances were easy and you'd have to be blind to miss them).

I was amazed. As someone who is very interested in training and development, I've got fellow referees joining me soon to recreate this exact same exercise in order to further develop our ability.

I'm just uploading the photos to Flickr so you can see just how many of these calls were made, note that on many occasions, you can't even see the Assistant in the frame, which is a massive development point on their positioning because the majority who are behind the last defender got their calls incorrect.

For those Interested in the flash lag theorem, I'll insert a few links for a detailed explanation in the comments.

Click here to see the stills. https://www.flickr.com/photos/126621364@N06/shares/wSh13R

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Excellent post that mate.

I'd seen and heard abit about the Flash Lag Effect, but they are the most detailed articles I've seen on it.

Also seen videos of the practical element being carried out, thought I would love to take part.

Reactions: DB
It was a massive eye opener which genuinely made me question my ability as an assistant. Although I got one wrong which was quite close, that wrong call could prevent a side winning a cup or a league... so lots of room for improvement here.

If he looks just offside, chances are he's actually onside!

A little bit of an issue with the pictures is that they don't seem to be directly in line with the action, which as we know can cause issues with judging the offside line correctly - seems slightly behind by a few metres?

Going to read the article next... :)

Interesting articles. Brains eh? Programmed to cause us problems!

Last edited:
The hardest decisions by far are when the defenders are moving out and the attacker is moving in, which is what seems to be happening in many of these scenarios. That crossover of players can make it nigh on impossible sometimes given the speed it happens at.

lol surely the hardest decision is a set play which goes wrong and then you have 3 or 4 players from each team and a goal keeper moving backwards, forwards or sideways at the same time as the ball (which is of course is just outside your peripheral vision to your left!) is played.... :D

"What did I just see..." :wide:

Some of the videos on Law 11 website that I linked in above have some brilliant examples of backwards offsides where the assistant either makes a brilliant call, or a not so brilliant call. Well worth a watch.

I was particularly impressed with the first videos decision in the international game. Inch perfect

Great stuff, I thought I had tight offsides pretty much sewn up. I find it difficult to reconcile the comments about it being better to have a goal scored when it was a tight offside mistake than the other way.

Ooooh, love the brain bugs. Seems I was better the further the blue ball had moved to the left. I got most within 0-10 pixels. If it was just after the ball started moving I was out by -32-+50 (ouch!).

I am nails - always 2-7 pix no matter what I do or where the ball goes. I was also the only one in our group - with video - to get all 4 right when had a little test with reverse decisions.
However, on the field, there are so many other factors. Goal mouth decisions are so much harder to judge because there are so many distractions - watching for offences and goal/no goal - and also becaue the GK/2nd defender conundrum is takes brain power.

Back