A&H

The Referee Store
Hej Jonas,
Wow, that is quite an opportunity. I would say that the most important thing is to talk to your ARs a lot before the game. They will know the level and the players, and can help you. Tell them what you want, and don't be afraid to give them a lot of responsibilities. They need to know that it's your first game at this level so they can support you, and they should not hesitate to help you out (with throw-ins, fouls, etc. - even penalties if necessary). If, at any point during the game, you need to check something with your ARs or you need a word of advice, go over to them and chat - they're there to help you. Also, if you need to calm the game down (or if you need a minute to relax - it happens!), you can walk over to the AR and check something quickly, giving everyone and yourself a break.

As for the players, it will be faster than your usual games, so that will take you 10-15 minutes to get used to. That's normal. Observe a lot in those minutes - see what kind of fouls the players complain about, and what they're willing to accept. Then adapt to them (as much as they adapt to you). As for interacting with the players, respect is key (obviously); you don't need to talk more than usual, but obviously try to avoid being patronising - they won't like that. That being said, being younger doesn't mean they can bully you around - don't hesitate to set your limits (your ARs can help with that too!).

I hope this helps - best of luck for the game!

Firstly congratulations. Secondly, I find it interesting, because in England you wouldn't be allowed to referee the game. The rule over here is that if you are under 16, you can only referee up to the age group below you (I think - certainly you are not allowed to referee age-groups older than you; not sure if you can referee the same age as you are). Enjoy the game though!

You will always be nervous before a game, but it is the same as any other game. The LOTG don't change so just go out and apply them. Don't focus on the fact the teams are older than you, focus on your team work with the AR's and enjoy it.

Best of Luck

I think my biggest strength is that I always keep calm, whatever happens. My biggest weakness is probably that I don`t talk/communicate to the players as much as I maybe should. I almost only talk to them when they are talking to me or when I required to.
Greetings from Finland! I am near the opposite end of the age spectrum. I started at 38 and am 5 years in. It took me a couple of years to get comfortable with talking to better players, particularly those in youth teams. I got a tip from this forum which really helped: used sparingly, to say a compliment every now and again. "Good shot", "good save", "great tackle"... sometimes it reminds key players that you are there, sometimes shows you have empathy for a problem player, sometimes reinforces a decision. Don't over do it, but this really opened things up for me, made me more comfortable - and that helped me be more pro-active about e.g. holding etc.

Greetings from Finland! I am near the opposite end of the age spectrum. I started at 38 and am 5 years in. It took me a couple of years to get comfortable with talking to better players, particularly those in youth teams. I got a tip from this forum which really helped: used sparingly, to say a compliment every now and again. "Good shot", "good save", "great tackle"... sometimes it reminds key players that you are there, sometimes shows you have empathy for a problem player, sometimes reinforces a decision. Don't over do it, but this really opened things up for me, made me more comfortable - and that helped me be more pro-active about e.g. holding etc.
Bless, glad i was of help in your development to these lofty heights Father Sangria... :angel:

Back