A&H

Bra Shaped Markings 1891

The Referee Store
This is a Sheffield Team Tina however you've probably never heard of The Wendnesday as they were called back in the day..After a bit of research the game was a forerunner to the now Charity Shield!!!!...........Corintians v The Wednesday.....

The Sheriff of London Charity Shield was an English football competition played once a year between an amateur and a professional side in England.

The first game was played on March 19, 1898, after being devised by Sir Thomas Dewar the Scottish whisky distiller. Proceeds from the annual game were distributed to hospitals and charities. The competition was short-lived due, in part, to the dominance of the professional sides, and also to a rift in the Football Association which saw the creation of the Amateur Football Association. The shield was ceased in 1907.

The Shield itself, commissioned by Dewar, was over six feet high, the largest trophy to be competed for in the history of football and the champions in its first incarnation were : 1898 Corinthian & Sheffield United shared. 1899 Aston Villa & Glasgow side Queens Park shared. 1900 Corinthian. 1901 Aston Villa. 1902 Tottenham Hotspur. 1903 Sunderland. 1904 Corinthian. 1905 The Wednesday. 1906 Liverpool. 1907 Newcastle United.

If I remember correctly the reason the markings look like that is because they measured the distance with rope tied to each of the goal posts

This is a Sheffield Team Tina however you've probably never heard of The Wendnesday as they were called back in the day..After a bit of research the game was a forerunner to the now Charity Shield!!!!...........Corintians v The Wednesday.....

Yes I have heard of Sheffield Wednesday. Its the other one I have never heard of!! But it is quite interesting how the smaller club got their nick name. Just think they could of been Sheffield Tuesday. Sounds ridiculous but if we had all grown up with them being called that, Wednesday would seen ridiculous

You haven't heard of the Oldest major football stadium in the world!!!
You haven't heard of the first floodlit match was here.
You haven't heard of the first Executive Box was here.
The first joint winners of the Charity shield.
The ex-home of the county champions at Cricket.
First ever Tennis Tournament was held here before Wimbledon was even thought of
England Scotland Internationals.
Cricket Test Matches.
FA Final Replays were played here
First Goal in the Premier League was here!!!
Current Sheffield bragging rights till january!!!! Never 2-4 get!!!!

Sheffield Day after tuesday... who are they!!!!!:poop:

Yes but football only started with the premier league which is why my club has never won a title as the Man U Chelsea and Arsenal fans point out. Only been to Sheffield once. Almost got hit by a tram and ended up in an industrial estate before finding the crucible and having a great night out.

We have the Carrot Crunchers up on the weekend! At least we can sort of understand Mick McCarthy, a bit!

Last edited:
Yes but football only started with the premier league which is why my club has never won a title as the Man U Chelsea and Arsenal fans point out. Only been to Sheffield once. Almost got hit by a tram and ended up in an industrial estate before finding the crucible and having a great night out.

Sheffield has one of the best nights out in the country, although obviously not if you get hit by a tram ... :)

Back