A&H

"Calling the Captains in"

So summed up, its not a fair and consistent approach. It depends on who the captain is, their attitude and their nature, therefore, its not textbook good practise to approach captain, in short, it depends....

Its a variable. The captain has no special powers, at all, with regards the referee.
If anything the captain as per LOTG has some responsibility for the team.
if a captain cant see that, blue 5 is over stepping the mark, or cant tell that blue 8 is going to be dismissed for their next foul, then, that's their own problem. I know in Scotland, even from playing, if a ref called the captains in, the players would say "hey, its your job to control/manage the game".
Really? A captain would rather you went straight to cards than get him involved to try and calm his player down?

It's entirely down to the referee how he chooses to manage the game - and as other have said, the stepped approach including the captains at "step 3" is considered a very good way of doing things in England (where the majority of posters on this forum referee). That doesn't mean it's right for every situation, but it's a tool that we're encouraged to use if the context allows it.

The Referee Store
Pretty much.

But it depends on the level of football youre officitiating. At my level its completely hit and miss as to whether the captains will be of any use, for most teams youre unlikely to get the same players from one week to the next.

I would imagine that in England the higher up you go the more benefit there is to be had from speaking to the captain.

I dont watch Scottish football, do referees higher up the pyramid use the captains?

For a number of players from one team fouling a single player from the opposition then it would depend, ive not had this in one of my games.

I've personally never had it happen in my game, but this was the subject of a discussion at a referee meeting I was at recently. The general consensus was that if a referee feels an opponent is being specifically targeted by a team then a yellow card is permissible under either persistent infringement or unsporting behaviour, but you should set the team up for that by making it clear to the captain that you can see what is going on and won't allow it to continue.

The, slightly hyperbolic, flip side of this is that the same player can be fouled carelessly up to FOURTEEN times (if every sub and the keeper fouls him) without a single caution being issued. I think any reasonable person would agree that that level of foul play against one player would need some kind of sanctioning.

Last edited:
Pretty much.

But it depends on the level of football youre officitiating. At my level its completely hit and miss as to whether the captains will be of any use, for most teams youre unlikely to get the same players from one week to the next.

I would imagine that in England the higher up you go the more benefit there is to be had from speaking to the captain.

I dont watch Scottish football, do referees higher up the pyramid use the captains?

No, certainly not, at grass roots if a ref tried to use captains then he would be ridiculed and certainly next time he had those team(s) he would be greeted with "look guys, its the referee who needs our help to ref the game"
Higher up, no, in 40 odd years of watching or being involved at all levels I have never seen it, word in passing yes, but publically pulling in a captain (with or without other player) to give some kind of warning, no

No, certainly not, at grass roots if a ref tried to use captains then he would be ridiculed and certainly next time he had those team(s) he would be greeted with "look guys, its the referee who needs our help to ref the game"
Higher up, no, in 40 odd years of watching or being involved at all levels I have never seen it, word in passing yes, but publically pulling in a captain (with or without other player) to give some kind of warning, no
The arguments in favour of Scottish independence just keep piling up ..... :rolleyes:

The view is we are using the captain to calm the player down and prevent him from getting a caution or ultimately getting sent off. Being the cynic that I am, I see it more as setting up the player for a fall. If he listens to the advice then your approach worked and you have kudos. If, as is more likely, it goes in one ear and out of the other, and he goes on to get cautioned or sent off you hold the upper hand. When other players inevitably complain, you point at the offender and the captain and say "well I told him and I told him, not my fault they didn't listen".

You've never seen it in 40 years? I'm a QPR season ticket holder and see it once or twice a season - not a common occurrence but it IS used at top (almost! :rolleyes:) level in England.

My god @Ciley Myrus is boring ... also the most blatent troll in history ... shame on you guys @Yampy @PinnerPaul @zarathustra @Russell Jones @UKColt for all biting :p:p;);):D:D

now back to the OP ... I personally think bringing in both captains is a great aid if a game is getting particularly fiery - used it once or twice myself ... it takes 30 seconds at a natural stoppage in play (corner, free kick, goal kick) ... quick blast of the whistle 'Captains yes please ...' meet them somewhere neautral and away from dugouts/spectators/other players if you can ... 'lads this game is starting to get out of hand - control your players or I will ... do we understand each other? this is a final warning thank you'

something stern, short and sweet ... if you are using this then you don't want to be all fluffy with it 'come on guys, lets all be friends' no - this is the time to stand your ground, you are the man in charge and you are giving a final warning to BOTH captains that enough is enough.

I personally put my stall out at the coin toss though 'lads, you are captains for a reason, work with me and i'll work with you - if I'm bringing you in to talk to one of your players take that as a hint to control him - you know your players better than I do so get to them before I do'

Back