A&H

Car insurance

UKColt

Boring question, but I'm just about to get a car and was just about to sort insurance but had a question.

As a ref, we're technically self-employed for tax etc but does driving to games count as 'business' use and therefore require business insurance? Or is 'social only' fine?

Ta!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
The more you make things business use the more you go down that route the more you open up a box you don't want to open!

Always had sap including home to work and back as a minimum.....that'll do you!

Wierd you should ask this... recently started pondering this myself. I think the answer is yes you should. Sd&p usually only cover commuting to a single place of work.
I suppose do you take the risk...? if you have an accident on a way to a game just dont tell them that is what you were doing

What is the definition of social, domestic and pleasure, including commuting?

When you're getting a car insurance quote, you will be asked what you use your car for. One of the options is social, domestic and pleasure (SD&P), including commuting. You should choose this option if you use your car for:
  • Commuting to and from a single place of work on a working day
  • Domestic and pleasure uses such as driving to the supermarket, picking children up from school or driving to the cinema.
It doesn't cover you for:
  • Hiring a car
  • Racing competitions, rallies or trials, or
  • For business purposes.

Fyi I have literally just added personal business use. It has cost me.around £4 per month additional premium. Seems a small price for peace of mind

What is the definition of social, domestic and pleasure, including commuting?

When you're getting a car insurance quote, you will be asked what you use your car for. One of the options is social, domestic and pleasure (SD&P), including commuting. You should choose this option if you use your car for:
  • Commuting to and from a single place of work on a working day
  • Domestic and pleasure uses such as driving to the supermarket, picking children up from school or driving to the cinema.
It doesn't cover you for:
  • Hiring a car
  • Racing competitions, rallies or trials, or
  • For business purposes.
When I got mine I double checked it would cover multiple work sites.........it did.....

I drove into the back of a stationary car at a junction (not intentionally) on the way back from a semi-pro game. I had SD&P, told the insurance company exactly where I had been and what I had been doing, and it was all fine.

That said, I'd left home at 11am, this happened a mile from my house at around 19:00 so 8 hours later, and I'd been paid a fee of £28.50. They'd have been hard pushed to class £28.50 for 8 hours as employment ..!

Back