A&H

Clattenburg - Gladiators

Of course it affects us. People see our top refs seeking limelight we get tarred with the same brush.

Very accepting he is entitled to take the opportunities given, but I don't think it helps the refereeing community in general with perception of the average player/spectator. It's the "all refs are the same" mentality I worry about
I don't think people do think all refs are the same and that's especially true of Clattenburg - even when he was still a referee, he was always seen as a bit of an exception.

But even if people did think that way, the fact is that he is no longer a referee. I'm not sure how something that someone does, who used to be a referee but isn't any more, affects those who are still referees.

I'm sorry but I just don't see this as any kind of an issue at all.

The Referee Store
But even if people did think that way, the fact is that he is no longer a referee. I'm not sure how something that someone does, who used to be a referee but isn't any more, affects those who are still referees.
There is a subset of fans players and coaches who think the type of person who becomes a referee is someone who didn’t have the skills to be a top player but wanted the money attention and glory of being at the top of football. An easy way to play with the big boys essentially.

Whether we have to placate those people or tell them to suck eggs is a different debate but I think James is spot on to identify that this kind of thing will prop up that belief. Rightly or wrongly.

Back