A&H

Confirming the identity of PK taker

SLI39

I was taught from early on this was a key part of the procedure. Despite the fact that saying "number 9, are you the elected taker?" often gets a funny look and does indeed ask the bleeding obvious, I'll always do it, as it's my escape clause as soon as a team tries to be too clever and gets an indirect free kick against them for their money!

The Referee Store
I thought this was the norm as well as warning against encroachment at the same time.

Isn't it far easier just to ask, "Who's taking kick?"

I suppose that sounds more natural, but the point remains that if a player has his hands on the ball, set and ready, he's going to wonder why he is being asked that question. Maybe if we said it was like ticking the disclaimer boxes online, they would understand better!

I suppose that sounds more natural, but the point remains that if a player has his hands on the ball, set and ready, he's going to wonder why he is being asked that question. Maybe if we said it was like ticking the disclaimer boxes online, they would understand better!
You ask the question before anyone has stepped up and taken control of the ball. Thought that was pretty obvious.

Why complicate it? I'm sure telling a player that it was "like ticking the disclaimer boxes online, they would understand better" would go down really well in the vast majority of games refereed by forum users. /sarcasmoff

You are imposing your own life experiences on the players who you know little if anything about. Display some empathy and you'll do better.

Im double checking and identify the player to the goal keeper as well.
"You're the kick taker, yes?"
"Keeper, this is the kick taker."

Sorry if the tongue in cheek didn't come off with the disclaimer comment. I'm a pretty easy-going ref and empathise with players to the extent that I have been in their position and follow football enthusiastically. I cannot manufacture further empathy, and my character will inevitably emerge while doing the job.

Thanks for the helpful contributions about goalkeepers and situations where two players wish to take it. I now see why we need this clause in law, though in my experience players can't get the ball on the spot quickly enough.

Back