A&H

Junior/Youth Control of the game

CaptainMarvel

Hi all, long time browser; first time poster!

Had a difficult game last night at U16 level. Red card in the 18th min for home team due to violent conduct - player reacted to a late (albeit mild) challenge by grabbing the offender by the throat. Not an ideal start, but no choice but to send him off.

Following on from this, the game quickly got quite feisty. A number of forceful (but fair) tackles going in, a few late challenges. Players calling for absolutely everything. Home team actually went 2-0 up with 10 men, one goal from a nailed-on penalty. Game ended 3-2 after a comeback from the away team.

I tried as best I could to control the game, communicating with the players, using the stepped approach. Eventually had to caution two from the home team from persistent fouling.

Basically, although nothing went drastically wrong, I never felt fully in control of the game. I was getting an earful after every single foul, or for any sort of contact between players. It felt like one of those games that was constantly simmering, on the very edge of boiling over. Any advice as how best to approach this in the future, in order to feel more in control?

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
You'll have games like this... and sometimes there isnt a winning formula. Sounds like you've approached it reasonably well.

Remember though you can always skip a stage. I.e. move straight to caution..ideal if you have thr captain in at stepped approach

"Look John, this is the third time I've called you in to speak about your players and their conduct. Its clearly not working so i'm going to start taking it up a level and that'll be names in the book. This is your last chance to manage your team"

And then follow through. Once card 1 2 and 3 are out they'll soon get the picture.

I also like to become even more vocal when games are like that. Particularly after a red card or other KMI. Had it this Saturday after a red. Stopped playing advantages. Blew a little harder for fouls, lowered my tolerance for backchat and foulsn, raised my decibels by 10 with sterner sound so I sound and look like I am taking control. Worked a treat, but it doesnt always as I say. Some teams are just moaners and nothing you can do will stop them.

I was getting an earful after every single foul, or for any sort of contact between players.

How many dissent cautions were there?

If none.....then bear in mind that a dissent caution is a great way of dissuading players/teams from continually haranguing you when you give/don't give what they think you should.

A number of forceful (but fair) tackles going in, a few late challenges

Considering you have had to send to a player off for their reaction to a late challenge....what action did you take against further late challenges?

using the stepped approach.

In that sort of game, probably a waste of time with the stepped approach or at least all of the steps.....just warn them, then bang a card at them.

How many dissent cautions were there?

If none.....then bear in mind that a dissent caution is a great way of dissuading players/teams from continually haranguing you when you give/don't give what they think you should.

Considering you have had to send to a player off for their reaction to a late challenge....what action did you take against further late challenges?

In that sort of game, probably a waste of time with the stepped approach or at least all of the steps.....just warn them, then bang a card at them.

Thanks for your helpful reply. I didn't hand out any cautions for dissent, which, with hindsight, I probably should have. I felt it was just general moaning, rather than any specific dissent directed at me, but perhaps it would have set down a marker and avoided further moaning.

I cautioned two players in the second half for late challenges, both of whom I had already spoken to twice. I made a point of speaking to both captains to ask them to get their players under control, which seemed to help a bit. In future I will definitely be more aware of when best to use the stepped approach.

You'll have games like this... and sometimes there isnt a winning formula. Sounds like you've approached it reasonably well.

Remember though you can always skip a stage. I.e. move straight to caution..ideal if you have thr captain in at stepped approach

"Look John, this is the third time I've called you in to speak about your players and their conduct. Its clearly not working so i'm going to start taking it up a level and that'll be names in the book. This is your last chance to manage your team"

And then follow through. Once card 1 2 and 3 are out they'll soon get the picture.

I also like to become even more vocal when games are like that. Particularly after a red card or other KMI. Had it this Saturday after a red. Stopped playing advantages. Blew a little harder for fouls, lowered my tolerance for backchat and foulsn, raised my decibels by 10 with sterner sound so I sound and look like I am taking control. Worked a treat, but it doesnt always as I say. Some teams are just moaners and nothing you can do will stop them.

Cheers for your advice, James. I think you are right and I probably should have skipped the stepped approach on one or two occasions. I managed my last two games really well, without any cards, so I was trying my best to do the same again. In reality, I should have used my cards to my aid in this game.

Thanks for your helpful reply. I didn't hand out any cautions for dissent, which, with hindsight, I probably should have. I felt it was just general moaning, rather than any specific dissent directed at me, but perhaps it would have set down a marker and avoided further moaning.

I cautioned two players in the second half for late challenges, both of whom I had already spoken to twice. I made a point of speaking to both captains to ask them to get their players under control, which seemed to help a bit. In future I will definitely be more aware of when best to use the stepped approach.
Never talk to publicly twice. Quiet word as you're running by or as they are moving away maybe but a public admonishment should always be final warning. The next time its a caution and that is laid clear in the original admonishment. Thats what people expect when they see a public talking to and it will serve you well to follow thtough with your promises :)

My game last night sounds very similar actually, albiet slightly more one-sided, which I think helped keep things under control.

Constant low-level grumbles etc. And as Padfoot says, I essentially stuck too rigidly to the stepped approach. Twice I carried out step 3, got the captain involved and was then desperately looking for an opportunity to caution that player, but they wised up and let someone else take up the moaning mantle.

Very disappointed in myself to have walked away being so aware of the grumbles but failing to get a dissent caution out. I definitely feel I'd have been happier if I had skipped the captain step and set out a clearer marker with a yellow card or two.

Never talk to publicly twice. Quiet word as you're running by or as they are moving away maybe but a public admonishment should always be final warning. The next time its a caution and that is laid clear in the original admonishment. Thats what people expect when they see a public talking to and it will serve you well to follow thtough with your promises :)

Cheers James, this is the approach I took in both cases. When I said I had spoken to them twice, I meant as you said, first a quiet word then a public word. Third time was a caution. These two players were well-behaved after their cautions - shame the other players didn't quite get the message.

My game last night sounds very similar actually, albiet slightly more one-sided, which I think helped keep things under control.

Constant low-level grumbles etc. And as Padfoot says, I essentially stuck too rigidly to the stepped approach. Twice I carried out step 3, got the captain involved and was then desperately looking for an opportunity to caution that player, but they wised up and let someone else take up the moaning mantle.

Very disappointed in myself to have walked away being so aware of the grumbles but failing to get a dissent caution out. I definitely feel I'd have been happier if I had skipped the captain step and set out a clearer marker with a yellow card or two.

Yep, I too am kicking myself now. Could have made my life a lot easier for myself had I been a bit less tolerant and sent a clear message. Live and learn!!

Sometimes, all you can do is clamp down and issue cautions. I had a final slipping away from me today, issued seven cautions and barely kept it from kicking off.

Your cards are there for a reason, use them if you have to. Make sure you raise your voice, use the correct whistle tone and volume, and issue cards to offenders if need be. The players won't like it and they won't like you but they'll soon learn they can't just kick lumps out of each other.

Back