A&H

Counting yards

BES

evening all

Something came up in a recent assessment which I'm not sure I agree with.

The assessor suggested when counting the 10 yards for the formation of a wall for a free kick I should walk backwards to make sure the attacker does not move the ball from where it has been positioned.

I do get the logic and clearly many of us don't use the magic spray as they do in the premier league.

BUT surely by 'watching' the ball when counting the yards I've turned my back on all the players in the area waiting for the free kick to be taken where many as incident could happen which I would now miss.

Do you all pace out the yards backwards? Thoughts?

The Referee Store
This is very old school advice as far as I'm concerned, and looks faintly ridiculous in practice; wobbling about trying to walk backwards 10 yards looks a bit silly, and you are absolutely right that you are turning your back on the action!

Walk the 10 yards forward, and steal a glance every couple of steps.

evening all

Something came up in a recent assessment which I'm not sure I agree with.

The assessor suggested when counting the 10 yards for the formation of a wall for a free kick I should walk backwards to make sure the attacker does not move the ball from where it has been positioned.

I do get the logic and clearly many of us don't use the magic spray as they do in the premier league.

BUT surely by 'watching' the ball when counting the yards I've turned my back on all the players in the area waiting for the free kick to be taken where many as incident could happen which I would now miss.

Do you all pace out the yards backwards? Thoughts?

I got told that once by an assessor, starting doing it a bit got told by senior coaches to stop. Do it forwards and maybe just have a quick look behind to check they're not moving it.

Do what I do... walk the ten yards and then drag your feet across the mud to mark the ten yard line. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When stood over the ball I will ask the taker if he is happy with the placement, I then walk forward: one big step and 8 normal strides. That is the 9.15m. If the taker chooses to move the ball he risks a caution, but more importantly the wall stays where I have marked it. If he moves it forward a yard he only has a 9 yard gap- his problem.

If you have a neutral assistant nearby ask them to keep an eye on the ball in a loud voice for all to hear.

Once the ball is placed i tell the kicker "stays there nw please." I mark out the ten yards with forward strides and look back every couple of strides to ensure the ball hasnt been moved.

I have had the backwards way suggested before but have never implemented it.

This is very old school advice as far as I'm concerned, and looks faintly ridiculous in practice; wobbling about trying to walk backwards 10 yards looks a bit silly, and you are absolutely right that you are turning your back on the action!

Walk the 10 yards forward, and steal a glance every couple of steps.
This is what we teach to new referees and it works for them as well as the boys on MotD. Walking backwards is awkward and leaves you liable to a prank by the players from which your confidence and match control will not recover.

I find it odd that a player would move the ball closer anyway? usually the wall trying to steal half a yard or so IMO

When stood over the ball I will ask the taker if he is happy with the placement, I then walk forward: one big step and 8 normal strides. That is the 9.15m. If the taker chooses to move the ball he risks a caution, but more importantly the wall stays where I have marked it. If he moves it forward a yard he only has a 9 yard gap- his problem.

Love it! A colleague does exactly the same - confuses the hell out of people that he hasn't taken 10 strides.

I have to take 11 steps... I often have to explain myself "That's not 10 yards ref"... "It is, I just have little legs!" :rolleyes:

Do what I do... walk the ten yards and then drag your feet across the mud to mark the ten yard line. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah but if a player was to do that, it's a caution for changing the field of play... Likewise, if they make a little hole so it is easier to kick the ball.

Yeah but if a player was to do that, it's a caution for changing the field of play... Likewise, if they make a little hole so it is easier to kick the ball.
Correct... Hence the ":rolleyes:"... It was a joke :wtf: My humour is often lost on here :(

Last edited:
Back