A&H

Couple of odd ones today

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
Tough game today with a number of players being vocal about some of the decisions made
No goal
Orange keeper fumbles the ball and the ball squirms toward goal, orange defender gets back and clears but yellows appealing for a goal, oranges appealing for no goal, CAR not in line so ignored his opinion. Took the decision to play on as I felt I wasn't 100% sure the whole ball had crossed the line.

Obviously yellow team tell me its at least a yard over!!

Foul on the keeper

Yellow v Oranges, Orange put a deep cross into the penalty area, Yellow goalkeeper comes out to catch it and an Orange striker attacks the ball. Both completely looking at the ball, goalkeeper gets there first and attempts to catch but drops the ball as he collides with the orange attacker.

Yellow team go mental claiming a foul on the goalkeeper, no complaints from the keeper and play continues.

My view was the GK made the wrong decision by trying to catch the ball under pressure and should have punched

Foul on Defender
Oranges attacking and the ball is played in behind the yellow defence, a big call for offside so I look over at the CAR who has his flag down but at that exact moment I hear contact between two players, by the time eyes have diverted to the incident the yellow defender is on the floor and the orange attacker is just getting up. Yellow team again going mental claiming a foul on the defender! Clearly an incident has happened but as I was unsure i continued with play, orange miss and the ball goes out of play and a Goal Kick is awarded.

At this point the CAR and the manager decide to have some choice words, i tell them both to calm down and give them a brief explanation which they didn't accept although both behaved themselves afterwards, especially after being told further outbursts and entering the FOP will result in a misconduct.

Player attitude
Had one player today, bit vocal but generally nothing ott but towards the end of the game he commits a foul and as it had been his 3rd in a row I called him over for a chat with the skipper also in. As I start to speak its clear this player has an attitude problem and doesn't really care for the chat. I turn to the skipper and ask that he keeps the player under control. My personal view is this player just has a general attitude problem towards referees.

Thoughts, on reflection I still feel the decisions were correct but another opinion would be appreciated.

The Referee Store
The first three all sounds right as far as you've described them - you can't give what you can't see.

My only comment on the last one was that you might have been a little slow to get the cards out. Depending on your definition of "in quick succession", I'd definitely argue that 3 fouls in a few minutes could be a card. Add in the dissenting attitude and I think you're definitely justified

1) Well you can only make the decision you can see. If you can see a goal line scramble you usually want to try to run to the line as fast as you can.

2) What was the nature of the collision? If the keeper got there first then there may be a case for a late charge by the attacker.....

I have come to the conclusion that some players are just a bit mentally simple who, because know the "rules" better than everyone else, will question every decision. On saturday, I had the shout "you are only giving it because they called for it", my response "actually I am giving it because its a foul and the fact everyone agrees with me means my decision is correct!" I really should hold my tongue but some players just infuriate me so much!

I actually wonder if some players do it because they enjoy it so much. In fact I have heard one player say before "nothing personal mate, i just don't like referees!"

I have come to the conclusion that some players are just a bit mentally simple who, because know the "rules" better than everyone else, will question every decision. On saturday, I had the shout "you are only giving it because they called for it", my response "actually I am giving it because its a foul and the fact everyone agrees with me means my decision is correct!" I really should hold my tongue but some players just infuriate me so much!

I actually wonder if some players do it because they enjoy it so much. In fact I have heard one player say before "nothing personal mate, i just don't like referees!"

I was running the line in a cup final at the end of last season when i overheard a conversation between 2 spectators. Following a decision they clearly disagreed with one said to the other "And they wonder why referee's get death threats". Never heard anything quite so ridiculous in my life!!!

Back