A&H

Open Age Cup Final upcoming

The Referee Store
JUst spoken to the appointment officer last night and missing the training doesn't mean I miss finals days. Happy and releived

Hence my advice the other day.

Never assume that those who appoint referees to games are unapproachable monsters. They don't like being messed around, and they will sniff out anyone who is telling them a **** and bull story, but most of them realise that referees have lives away from football. As I said earlier, even the FA are understanding as long as you keep them up to date and don't mess them around.

mine goes a little something like:

'Guys I am sure you have heard this a million times, so for the million and first here we go ... gentleman, thank you for being here to support me tonight, the teams are Dog and Duck FC v The Queens Rovers - both teams have had a fairly average season in the league so will be looking to grab the glory of the cup. We'll walk through the pitch starting with the goal kicks and goal line, follow every ball down to the goal line leaving us in a credible decision, goal kicks - monitor the first 3-4 from the 6 yard line and then I am happy for you to monitor from the 18 yard - fly kicks monitor again the first 1 or 2, on the first occasion give him a warning first 'bit close there keeper' lets not flag up straight away unless of course he is 5-10 yards clearly outside or stopping a OGSO. moving on we'll go to throw ins, I like to cut the pitch into thirds - your third, our third and my third - in your third they are 95% yours, in our third ill go to lead unless you clearly have seen a nick that I couldn't and my third go with me (turn to senior AR, ill take 90% of our third throws in front of the bench so it is me taking the s**t) corners/goal kicks - anything up the 18 yard line, maybe 6 yard line is yours unless I go quick and then go with me. Moving into free kicks - follow my tempo if you can, but at the end of the day I want you to think 3 things 1. where am I? .2. Could I see it? 3. If YOU was the ref, would you want it given? if you feel it is a card then keep your flag up and agitated - I'll come to you and discuss, it maybe that I ignore you for the booking in which case drop your flag. Going into the PA, firstly we want an appeal - if there isn't an appeal, unless I am 200% certain - I am not blowing up, on an appeal 1 or 3 things will happen - I blow and give it, I don't blow and cut the grass/shout no etc. (on these 2 I only want you coming in if I am wrong in law or you've seen something in your credible zone that I 100% couldn't have seen) or 3. I am looking at you blankly in the face with HELP written on my forehead - that's where I want you to give me a flag and get your arse to the corner flag or a big shake of the head, cut the grass, shout no, scream and shout and tell me what its all about - what ever you feel is right! if we are both blank then it obviously isn't a penalty. If I blow for the penalty, or you flag for the penalty but it is close then I need you to do 1 of 2 things, flag point and go to the corner flag (I know its a PK) or flag, attacking kick signal and then a nice big step to the left of the PA so I know it was outside - get in line with the PA before you take that step, it just makes it easier for me to sell it when the attacking team argue it was IN. Offsides are all yours - just wait wait wait until he is active, unless he is the only one going for the ball so lets not make him run 30 yards before flagging or stop that attacker/keeper clash, the only time I will overrule you on offside is if A. the ball goes through to keeper, play on, or B. you are wrong in law (i.e played off a defender last). Mass Cons - hold a second or 2 to see if the benches are going tog et involved, before coming on - I won't say get into a triangle, lets just get a different angle. we are looking for perpetrator, retaliator, and the guy that's ran 40 yards, thrown a punch and walked off again - but mainly we need the correct restart. we'll split the teams into halves, get together nearest the tunnel call both captains over and then one by one call players over - we'll get away then home reds done, then away then home yellows then public dressing downs. ... does that cover everything? any questions? good, there are 3 teams out there today lads, lets start up here 'hand above my head gesture' and then we can bring our tempo down as the games sees fit!

simple really lol

So no pen unless there is an appeal? hmmmmmmm
This seems to be fairly standard instruction in teams of 3 - no appeal from anyone suggests you're seeing things. And if the AR flags for a penalty that no one is actually asking for, you've put the ref in an incredibly difficult position, even more so than if the ref makes a decision to give a penalty on his own.

I wonder if young @Charlie Jones was having a little chuckle to himself as he wrote that because if I was his AR and had to listen to that, I'd have switched off by the 2nd paragraph. If indeed there is a 2nd paragraph.

This seems to be fairly standard instruction in teams of 3 - no appeal from anyone suggests you're seeing things. And if the AR flags for a penalty that no one is actually asking for, you've put the ref in an incredibly difficult position, even more so than if the ref makes a decision to give a penalty on his own.

@GraemeS I appreciate what you are saying but I have given blatant penalties when no one has appealed because I have seen it and not them, pulling, pushing, handball and trips... I had my whistle blown and the usual no one appealed ref....I still saw it and gave it! Just suggest that wording leaves it open to if they appeal and you aren't sure give it! It's a comprehensive pre match my own usual is "that is your area if you see something flag it and I will go with you, if there is uncertainty I will come across or put you down". Players appeal or expect you to see it sometimes they don't necessarily shout the loudest.

I wonder if young @Charlie Jones was having a little chuckle to himself as he wrote that because if I was his AR and had to listen to that, I'd have switched off by the 2nd paragraph. If indeed there is a 2nd paragraph.

@Yampy second paragraph I wondered if he took a second breath when saying it! :rolleyes:

It's definitely a delicate balancing act. My impression is that some more senior referees take the 'No Surprises' mantra a little too far. Quite possibly because they are aware that giving wholly unexpected decisions may well annoy some people, hurting their Club Marks and therefore promotion prospects. Obviously if no one is appealing then any official needs to be 110% sure of what they have seen to give a decision, especially on a KMI .. but for me, on those situations where we are completely certain, it would be remiss of us not to give a decision simply because of a lack of an appeal ....

It's definitely a delicate balancing act. My impression is that some more senior referees take the 'No Surprises' mantra a little too far. Quite possibly because they are aware that giving wholly unexpected decisions may well annoy some people, hurting their Club Marks and therefore promotion prospects. Obviously if no one is appealing then any official needs to be 110% sure of what they have seen to give a decision, especially on a KMI .. but for me, on those situations where we are completely certain, it would be remiss of us not to give a decision simply because of a lack of an appeal ....
This is exactly the point. As a referee, if you think you've seen a penalty offence and no one has appealed, you at least need to hesitate and think about why that might be the case. Is it because you've seen some technicality that no player would likely know? Maybe you were the only person on the pitch in the right position to see a foul? (Including the "fouled" player???) Or is it because your position has played tricks on your eyes, leading you to think you've seen a handball, a trip etc when no one else has?

Chances are that it's probably the latter. And when you're an assistant and will be dropping the referee in all sorts of trouble if you ask him to give a penalty on your say-so alone, you have to consider the possibility you were mistaken.

The one exception to this in my opinion is that players will often not think they've been fouled if a player doesn't go down. I've given a penalty to little/no appeal when a player took a wild hack on the back of the ankles - but it was actually accepted with fairly limited protest once I'd explained what I saw. I suspect the player in question put extra effort in to stay on his feet because I'd already booked him for simulation earlier in the match!

Back