A&H

Deaf Official

Fin

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys, I have been refereeing for over a year now and I am also deaf. I struggle sometimes with hearing players complaints or having a discussion with players or if the manager shouts over to make a sub etc. I also struggle communicating with linesmen, either club appointed or neutral ARs as I cant always hear them over the wind for example. Are there any tips or tricks that I could implement to try and make it easier for me to communicate with players, managers and other officials? Many thanks

The Referee Store
How deaf are we talking?
I am hard or hearing and wear hearing aids but I am also able to get by without them. I have only moderate loss mainly high frequency.

I think the answer is to be proactive. Explain your hearing and ask for the adjustments you need. For example theres no point manager screaming at you to make a sub but if a player knows they can hear and alert you to it then that helps.

I sometimes struggle with distinguishing complaints from attention shouts and absolutely hate it when a player's name sounds vaguely like ref (or not even ref just I hear it like that 🤬)

Communicating with ARs in game should be mostly through signals and body language, the odd occasion you do need to have a chat get them to talk into your ear (within reason). Again warning them beforehand thats what you'll need will make this easier.

Lastly, you know your hearing can't be relied upon so you need to be extra vigilant looking around to catch anything that you might have otherwise heard.

How deaf are we talking?
I am hard or hearing and wear hearing aids but I am also able to get by without them. I have only moderate loss mainly high frequency.

I think the answer is to be proactive. Explain your hearing and ask for the adjustments you need. For example theres no point manager screaming at you to make a sub but if a player knows they can hear and alert you to it then that helps.

I sometimes struggle with distinguishing complaints from attention shouts and absolutely hate it when a player's name sounds vaguely like ref (or not even ref just I hear it like that 🤬)

Communicating with ARs in game should be mostly through signals and body language, the odd occasion you do need to have a chat get them to talk into your ear (within reason). Again warning them beforehand thats what you'll need will make this easier.

Lastly, you know your hearing can't be relied upon so you need to be extra vigilant looking around to catch anything that you might have otherwise heard.
I'm in the profound to severe hearing loss bracket. I have to wear my hat a lot unless its not windy or on a really hot day as the wind rushes past my hearing aids and masks a lot of normal noise. I have had comments from managers telling me to take my airpods out before or asking me did i hear something even after i have told them of the fact that I'm deaf so I am reluctant to say sometimes.
Players dont tend to be much of an issue towards me as they are largely respectful surrounding it and majority of the captains are supportive and will assist me with substitutions if i had missed them.

I absolutely understand that because I have the same issue aha. Players shouting their teammates names sometimes makes me feel as if ive missed something that i should have caught for example and because of this it also makes it much more difficult to be 100% convinced of dissent or abusive language towards me or another player as I am never 100% sure that what I heard was correct.

When it is club appointed officials, they tend to shout towards me. I dont know if this is common for other referees but they think that because of my deafness, i cant see them making a signal. Neutral ARs are good as I can have a proper discussion before the match and can clarify any issues but club officials tend to be parents and are rather ignorant surrounding most issues.

That is very truthful, however my one concern with it is and issues I have had trying to be extra vigilant is that I am missing other things that are happening on the pitch which could perhaps be more important than what I was trying to pay attention to beforehand.

That is very truthful, however my one concern with it is and issues I have had trying to be extra vigilant is that I am missing other things that are happening on the pitch which could perhaps be more important than what I was trying to pay attention to beforehand.
I’m similar to James, don’t wear aids yet because the loss hasn’t got to that stage but combined with a sensory disorder I basically cannot distinguish two noises that happen at once so on a football pitch I’m going to struggle to pick out sounds unless I focus on hearing that shout. To the detriment of other sense potentially I think.

I’m quite sensitive to OFFINABUS and dissent so it’s probably a good thing for me that it has to be pretty clear for me to hear it!

Definitely recommend being proactive and when it comes to club ARs just explain the signals you need, ask them to be clear and to hold the signal until you see them (and maybe say “thanks but he’s onside” or whatever if you disagree with their call).

I’m quite sensitive to OFFINABUS and dissent so it’s probably a good thing for me that it has to be pretty clear for me to hear it!
Totally this - I’m deaf in my left ear so I’ve got no surround sound and can’t tell which direction sounds are coming from. So if I can identify exactly where dissent / OFFINABUS is coming from, you can be pretty certain it’s worth a sanction

I'm in the profound to severe hearing loss bracket. I have to wear my hat a lot unless its not windy or on a really hot day as the wind rushes past my hearing aids and masks a lot of normal noise. I have had comments from managers telling me to take my airpods out before or asking me did i hear something even after i have told them of the fact that I'm deaf so I am reluctant to say sometimes.
Just on this, you absolutely shouldn't be reluctant to say anything. If they make such comments, just repeat that you are deaf (or ignore them, of course - with good reason ;) ). If the behaviour is dissentful or OFFINABUS, use the cards - they will soon learn.
Players dont tend to be much of an issue towards me as they are largely respectful surrounding it and majority of the captains are supportive and will assist me with substitutions if i had missed them.
And there's the difference. If the players are generally respectful you are doing plenty right.

It could be worth reaching out to any charities or to the FA/your association for help with buzzer flags and other little niceties that would allow you to referee on a more equal level as people that can easily hear managers and assistants.

They must have some funding for disabilities.

Without intending to make light of this subject, I have been refereeing for nearly 20 years and have been selectively deaf for most of that time 😂.

On a more serious note and a genuine question, would there be a situation that the condition may work to the referee's advantage?

It could be worth reaching out to any charities or to the FA/your association for help with buzzer flags and other little niceties that would allow you to referee on a more equal level as people that can easily hear managers and assistants.

you’d be surprised 😭

you would be extremely surprised. I asked my local RA and they just told me to look over my shoulder more. My RDO said he was going to look into it but i heard nothing back regarding it.

I’m similar to James, don’t wear aids yet because the loss hasn’t got to that stage but combined with a sensory disorder I basically cannot distinguish two noises that happen at once so on a football pitch I’m going to struggle to pick out sounds unless I focus on hearing that shout. To the detriment of other sense potentially I think.

Definitely recommend being proactive and when it comes to club ARs just explain the signals you need, ask them to be clear and to hold the signal until you see them (and maybe say “thanks but he’s onside” or whatever if you disagree with their call).
Thanks for this, I will start doing so in the future.

One thing that I have been suggested doing from another source, is to only take the players number when cautioning/sending off so as not to potentially mix up the names, and refer to the team sheet for the names and to ensure that the managers have filled them in correctly. I tried this in one of my games last weekend and it felt like a huge relief off of my shoulders as I wasnt asking the players 5 or 6 times for their names. Its difficult discerning sounds when outside in the wind or rain as everything just ends up sounding muddled together. Im curious as to whether the number only method is a viable option going forward or if it is dissaproved of?

One thing that I have been suggested doing from another source, is to only take the players number when cautioning/sending off so as not to potentially mix up the names, and refer to the team sheet for the names and to ensure that the managers have filled them in correctly. I tried this in one of my games last weekend and it felt like a huge relief off of my shoulders as I wasnt asking the players 5 or 6 times for their names. Its difficult discerning sounds when outside in the wind or rain as everything just ends up sounding muddled together. Im curious as to whether the number only method is a viable option going forward or if it is dissaproved of?
I have exactly the same problem, embarrassing asking a player to spell "ricks" because it sounds so unclear, right before I send them off too...

Taking numbers is only as reliable as the team sheets are, in many of my leagues they're crap and I don't trust them. Technically at grassroots we are meant to take names, maybe a pre-emptive email to the managers to ask for accurate team sheets could help reduce the chance of errors?

I have exactly the same problem, embarrassing asking a player to spell "ricks" because it sounds so unclear, right before I send them off too...

Taking numbers is only as reliable as the team sheets are, in many of my leagues they're crap and I don't trust them. Technically at grassroots we are meant to take names, maybe a pre-emptive email to the managers to ask for accurate team sheets could help reduce the chance of errors?
I did double check the names after the match just to clarify and it was accurate thankfully but I do see your point. The open age leagues around here are good for team sheets as they have actual card team sheets, not the flimsy small paper things that go soggy even when there is no rain. But the youth leagues seem different as they dont appear to have actual team sheets, just the players on full time.

Embarrassment has been a key thing surrounding why I dont put myself in uncomfortable situations regarding my hearing so Im always looking to try different techniques to alleviate that worry and anxiety.

Embarrassment has been a key thing surrounding why I dont put myself in uncomfortable situations regarding my hearing so Im always looking to try different techniques to alleviate that worry and anxiety.
And it's not a bad idea, players will pick up if you're unsure or not confident. Keep it up :)

Back