A&H

Deliberate kick to the GK

The Referee Store
Hi
Sorry typo. Yes No longer a deliberate kick.
Tacit knowledge over many years has meant that referees did not punish with the IDFK when the ball was touched / played by an opponent or a touch by a defender that is allowed on a deliberate kick.
For example what referee that is going to penalise a deliberate kick to the GK that an attacker fails to prevent yet plays / touches the ball enroute or in a similar situation where the deliberate kick to the GK is headed on by a defender.

Reactions: J79
So I decided to send an email to the IFAB to get an official ruling on this - again (as mentioned, I believe we'd had one previously). Surprise, surprise, the answer came back the same as before:

Date: Thursday, 18 May 2017 at 04:21
To: "Info (The IFAB)" <info@theifab.com>
Subject: Deflection on deliberate kick to keeper

Gentlemen,
I was wondering if you could give an opinion on the following. If a player deliberately kicks the ball, intending it for his goalkeeper but the ball is deflected by an opponent on the way, does the prohibition on the keeper touching the ball with the hands, still apply?
----------

Dear Peter,

No it does not as the goalkeeper is not receiving it directly from a team mate.

Best regards,

Boudien Broekhuis
Communications & Administration Manager
The International Football Association Board - IFAB
---
www.theifab.com

Follow The IFAB on Twitter and Facebook!
Münstergasse 9
CH-8001 Zurich
Tel.: +41 (0) 44 245 1886

Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Perfect. We'll take the words of Boudien as gospel. Much better to accept without challenge the words of a comms and admin manager, rather than, say, someone like David Elleray. We have no idea whether this is just her opinion, or whether she has validated the response with someone such as the aforementioned.

@Peter Grove could you ask a follow up question to see if she can explain why her response conflicts with the wording in the LotG (and I've checked the amendments for 17/18 as well)?

Perfect. We'll take the words of Boudien as gospel. Much better to accept without challenge the words of a comms and admin manager, rather than, say, someone like David Elleray. We have no idea whether this is just her opinion, or whether she has validated the response with someone such as the aforementioned.

Take a minute to think about the implications of what you're saying. What you seem to be suggesting is that the IFAB, the sole guardian of the Laws of the Game, has a policy that any time a laws enquiry is sent to their official email address they just assign it to a random member of staff to reply on behalf of the IFAB (once again using the IFAB's official email) giving a purely individual opinion without checking it. I don't know, maybe you're right and they do this as it is their main purpose and absolutely in their best interests (and in the best interests of the game) to sow confusion among the ranks of the refereeing community and to encourage differing interpretations of the Laws. But somehow I don't think so.

You are also ignoring the fact that this response is in complete accord with the ruling previously sent by FIFA to the ScottIsh FA on the same matter and that (as I said in an earlier post) if the word 'directly' is not understood then the law becomes impossible to apply, since if a single deflection does not reset matters, neither would any number of intermediate touches.

Anyway, although I felt slightly embarrassed to do it, as I am pretty sure what the response will be, I have sent a follow-up email asking for a re-confirmation of the official response that was already issued by an IFAB spokesperson.

And here's the confirmation:

Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2017 23:56
To: Peter Grove
Subject: Re: Deflection on deliberate kick to keeper
Dear Mr Grove

The reply you received was the opinion of the Technical Director of The IFAB.

Best wishes

David Elleray
Technical Director
The International Football Association Board - IFAB
---
Münstergasse 9
CH-8001 Zurich
Tel. General: +41 (0) 44 245 1886

www.theifab.com
Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Thank-you @Peter Grove

The point I was making is that IFAB, as essentially a law making organisation (but for a sport, rather than for a country), needs to get on top of how it words things, whether that be in the LotG themselves, or in replies to enquiries. Laws should not be open to interpretation, other than where the application of the law is ITOOTR. Laws that are open to interpretation can be pulled apart, and leaves us potentially as the sole arbiter in the middle of a pitch of 22 people playing the game, surrounded by their coaches (and potentially spectators).

Even that second reply you received - why did David Elleray have to use the word "opinion"? Why is it only an opinion, and not the law itself? If he'd have replied that this was "the ruling from the technical director", it would not leave the subject open to anybodies opinion. Unfortunately "opinion" suggests a lack of confidence, a lack of willingness to commit. An opinion is non-contractual. Does this opinion need to be ratified by the board of IFAB before it becomes official?

IFAB have spent a lot of time on revising the laws to simplify the language, and to cut out misunderstandings. They need to always be explicit in any and all official communication, which the response you received was (official, but not explicit). Not a comment on this particular law per se, rather on IFAB's behaviour, as guardians of the laws.

Maybe IFAB should (weekly? monthly?) publish an overview of the questions they're getting, including the answers. Would be really useful.
They did that for a bit as the FAQs. They put out four editions of that early last summer for the 16-17 LotG.

Reactions: J79
They did that for a bit as the FAQs. They put out four editions of that early last summer for the 16-17 LotG.
True, but the FAQ's did not appear (as far as I am aware) until the Laws were put on the site as separate items, once they came into effect. If they follow the same approach this time, we may see some updated FAQ's in June.

Back