A&H

Deliberately parrying the ball

one

RefChat Addict
The big re-write removed the section which clarified deliberately parrying the ball by the goalkeeper is the same releasing it.

I feel that this is going create an issue for the new generation of referees by thinking a deliberate parry is the same as a save.

Anyone else on the same boat?

The Referee Store
I'm struggling to envisage a scenario whereby a keeper deliberately parries the ball where it isn't a save

Is saving the ball from going out for a goal / kick corner the same as saving a shot from going in the goal?

... I've never seen a definition of "save" ...

Is saving the ball from going out for a goal / kick corner the same as saving a shot from going in the goal?

... I've never seen a definition of "save" ...
Try page 168 of the laws!
LOTG said:
Save
An action by a player to stop or attempt to stop the ball when it is going into or very close to the goal using any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless a goalkeeper within their own penalty area)

Try page 168 of the laws!

Ooooooh - thanks @ASM - I think that's the first time I've not found the answer in LOTG myself - my bad

So to James' quandary ...
I'm struggling to envisage a scenario whereby a keeper deliberately parries the ball where it isn't a save

... a GK using their hands, to stop the ball going out for a corner, away from the goal, would be a parry ... and then the GK should be penalised if they then subsequently picked the ball ...

Ooooooh - thanks @ASM - I think that's the first time I've not found the answer in LOTG myself - my bad

So to James' quandary ...

... a GK using their hands, to stop the ball going out for a corner, away from the goal, would be a parry ... and then the GK should be penalised if they then subsequently picked the ball ...
Imagine penalising for that though... there'd be uproar

Imagine penalising for that though... there'd be uproar

I'm with my learned friend.

Even though you would be correct in law you'd never be able to sell it anyone other than another referee, and even then they might not agree (depending how well they know the laws).

Reactions: DB
Team leading by one goal and slowing play down. Slow bouncing ball is going across the goal along the goal area line. Goalkeeper deliberately stops it by taping it down with his hands and waits in front of it for a while as there are no opponents around. When pressed by opponents he picks it up.

Yes hard one to sell but so is the 6 second rule (and plenty other ones). We can be a bit flexible on it or try and manages it but we should still apply it.

Having looked at the dictionary definition of the word parry (sad, I know) I now see what others have pointed out with regards to situations where this might occur

So in answer to OP I think scenario is still covered by lotg pg 97.

"A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:
• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface
(e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms
except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the
goalkeeper has made a save"

Remembering the "big re-write" intentionally wanted to reduce word count and simplify the laws to make them easier to understand. Why say what u want to say in a thousand words when a 100 will suffice.

Hi
Recall a good few seasons ago Wolfgang Stark penalised the AC Milan GK for a parry in a game v Celtic. Ball was miskicked, GK instead of using his foot, reached down and pushed the ball with his hand forward and then when challenged picked it up. iDFK awarded.
I called one I had a few seasons ago. Same scenario GK dribbled the ball after the parry to the corner of the penalty area trying to use up time. IDFK soon sorted that.

The scenario this needs selling is where a keeper 'saves' the ball going out for a corner. Few players will appreciate the definition of save within the laws.

I'm not quite sure why we are discussing parrying the ball (again) in a Laws of the Game topic. As far as the Laws are concerned, there is no such thing as a parry. It's a bit like discussing whether a player intended to commit a foul challenge or not. Once upon a time, that was a part of the Laws of the Game but ever since the mention of intent was removed from the law on physical fouls, it's no longer something that needs to be considered. I know the reference to parrying was removed a little more recently but the principle is the same - we can't keep trying to make decisions based on something that is no longer included in the laws.

Under the Laws as they now stand and which we must now work with, there are only three possibilities, as shown by the quotation given by @James Long above. It's either a save, an accidental rebound or it's control. Parrying no longer exists under the LotG.

A fair point you make there @Peter Grove . However I think you may have missed the point of the OP which was not so much about the word but more to do with what the action constitutes.

Referring back to my example (which did not use the word parry by the way)
"Team leading by one goal and slowing play down. Slow bouncing ball is going across the goal along the goal area line. Goalkeeper deliberately stops it by taping it down with his hands and waits in front of it for a while as there are no opponents around. When pressed by opponents he picks it up."
Is this a save, an accidental rebound or is it control?

Last edited:
A header/knee from own defender with little pace on the ball and out wide?
The keeper is entitled to use his hands in this scenario so hardly relevant to the OP. I've also since advised having lookes at definition I am now able to see other scenarios.

Am sure my referral to the electric chair for life termination is being considered now as highly likely for my henious crime of not reading an entire thread.

Back