A&H

Did not use sin bin for dissent just YC

ianryder

Level 6 Referee
Hi all

Reffed my first open age game today, I feel the game itself went okay, I feel like I controlled the players pretty well and showed them my tolerance for tackling early on. The game was very competitive around about the 40 min mark I gave an offside that a defender did not agree with and called me a blind t**t. I was straight on the whistle, and issued the yellow card but didn't give him a sin bin, I don't know what I was thinking and I feel awful about it. The yellow card did seem to have the desired affect. But I . devastated about not giving the sinbin because it's really ruined my performance. What are the potential repercussions of not giving the sin bin?

TIA

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Game being replayed if a cup game (never heard of this for a league match but then league results are more rarely likely to be protested so potentially game being replayed.)

We've had examples of late where refs have been suspended for incorrectly applying law/rules of competition but as it's your first game, I would let you off and doubtful anyone is going to do or say anything. But I'd keep it to yourself (other than on here.)

Moreover, a player calls me (or you) a blind tee double U Ay Tee and it's not a sin bin you are looking for...

:redcard:

Onto the next one. Well done on your first game and for self reflecting.

Game being replayed if a cup game (never heard of this for a league match) but then league results are more rare to be protested.

Moreover, a player calls me (or you) a blind tee double U Ay Tee and it's not a sin bin you are looking for...

:redcard:

Onto the next one. Well done on your first game and for self reflecting.
Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate your advice.

Wouldn’t be devastated. Did that last year in my first season, and the county secretary politely reminded me of the sin bin process, as the game had another incident had gone to county. Move on, lesson learned for me, and have used them since

Wouldn’t be devastated. Did that last year in my first season, and the county secretary politely reminded me of the sin bin process, as the game had another incident had gone to county. Move on, lesson learned for me, and have used them since
Thank you, definitely a lesson learnt

Don't worry about it. I've got over 20 years experience yet I messed up exactly the same a couple of seasons ago when I cautioned for dissent and forgot to sin bin. As he was at me demanding that an opposition player was cautioned I managed to spin my way out of it by saying it was for USB rather than dissent. Just learn from it, can pretty much guarantee you won't make the same mistake again.

There can only be repercussions if either team formally complain about it. Did they give any indications that they might?

Don't worry about it. I've got over 20 years experience yet I messed up exactly the same a couple of seasons ago when I cautioned for dissent and forgot to sin bin. As he was at me demanding that an opposition player was cautioned I managed to spin my way out of it by saying it was for USB rather than dissent. Just learn from it, can pretty much guarantee you won't make the same mistake again.

There can only be repercussions if either team formally complain about it. Did they give any indications that they might?
No,

I spoke to both managers at the end and asked if they had any questions regarding decisions and it didn't get mentioned. I had a couple of players around me so I got distracted with calming the situation really.

Slightly off topic but along the same lines - I've been wondering for a while since an incident last season.

Dissent occurs in second half stoppage time with less than a minute remaining, I sin binned the player but it didn't quite sit right with me. Is it the case that no matter how long is left of the game, the sin bin is enforced? Or with less than 10 minutes to go are you able to just caution?

Slightly off topic but along the same lines - I've been wondering for a while since an incident last season.

Dissent occurs in second half stoppage time with less than a minute remaining, I sin binned the player but it didn't quite sit right with me. Is it the case that no matter how long is left of the game, the sin bin is enforced? Or with less than 10 minutes to go are you able to just caution?
Since I've looked into it again, it's seems to be clear that the player MUST be sin binned for dissent, there doesn't appear to be anyway round that really, so Id say regardless of the time left to play they would get sin binned, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Sin Bin.

(To labour the point, what happens if there is a further "stoppage" afterwards?)

Yes, the sin bin is not particularly well thought through, but it's pretty clear that it should always be used for ALL dissent by a player during the match. I've reported a few non-sin-bin C2's since - one when a player gave me both barrels as he was being subbed off and another when the player waited by the exit to the pitch in order to share his opinion, but those are the exceptions.

Yes, the sin bin is not particularly well thought through, but it's pretty clear that it should always be used for ALL dissent by a player during the match. I've reported a few non-sin-bin C2's since - one when a player gave me both barrels as he was being subbed off and another when the player waited by the exit to the pitch in order to share his opinion, but those are the exceptions.
I think (if I imagine it right) I'd have taken a tougher stance on that and cancelled the substitution whilst matey served his 10 mins!!

I think (if I imagine it right) I'd have taken a tougher stance on that and cancelled the substitution whilst matey served his 10 mins!!
In hindsight, definitely would have been deserved.

In the moment, by the time I decided it had risen to the level of cautionable dissent, the substitution was complete and the replacement was well on the pitch, so I just went with the non-playing caution.

Turn this on its head. Is that the thing you’re most worried about today? Did it affect the game negatively? (Doesn’t sound like it)

In which case, a decent first game!
In my very first game I allowed a substitution when the ball was still in play - it was after an injury and the keeper had the ball in his hands. I still remember that (about 150 years later), but apart from a bit of embarrassment it didn't affect the game at all and nobody else probably remembered it for more than a couple of hours at most.

This will be the same - there's plenty to learn and you'll make some mis-steps along the way (I know I still do) - so don't beat yourself up about the little things.

Back