A&H

Difficult coach

BreakingBrad

Level 7 Referee
Reffed an U16 game today....despite winning comfortably White coach contested every decision (eg "it's his first foul ref" after obvious YC for reckless challenge etc.).

Late in second half I gave an easy FK for a trip to Blues and when I explained I saw a trip after the inevitable question I was called a liar....gave YC for dissent then he entered field of play in provocative manner to continue his rant.

Unfortunately a second YC would've implied abandonment as he had no assistants so in interest of kids I did not show one and finished the game but will file misconduct report.

Do you think I should have handled differently?

The Referee Store
Deliberately leaving the technical area to show dissent or remonstrate with an official is a red card, not yellow.

Personally, I’d have shown the card. He probably uses the fact he has no assistants managers to avoid red cards. If match is abandoned then that is on him, not you.
After all, leagues can only deal with misconduct when reported correctly.

I was under the impression he should be shown a red card then if the game can be continued, it continues and he stays on the sideline with a warning that if he says anymore it goes in an extra report? I could be wrong though need someone to back that up or change it slightly

Deliberately leaving the technical area to show dissent or remonstrate with an official is a red card, not yellow.

Personally, I’d have shown the card. He probably uses the fact he has no assistants managers to avoid red cards. If match is abandoned then that is on him, not you.
After all, leagues can only deal with misconduct when reported correctly.
Good point....I need to improve my understanding of disciplinary action of team officials which blissfully is rarely needed at my level.

It’s easy to say, but harder to do: NEVER let the sanction get in the way of sending off a coach. Not sending him off means, he’s going to do the same thing again. And may even encourage him to not have an assistant so he can get away with it.

(A league I ref in adopted a rule that if the head coach was sent off, it was a forfeit. they had to change it to “any coach” as a couple of the knucklehead coaches had themselves officially named an assistant, with a minion officially the head coach.)

I was under the impression he should be shown a red card then if the game can be continued, it continues and he stays on the sideline with a warning that if he says anymore it goes in an extra report? I could be wrong though need someone to back that up or change it slightly
You are correct if the coach is the only "responsible adult" with the team, you can tell the coach they are sent off, can remain as they are the only responsible adult, but any further misconduct will be treated as misconduct after dismissal and the game will be abandoned.
In my county each club in youth football must have a Respect steward at the game, which changes the outcome as tbe coach can be sent away.

Yes. RC. If league rules dictate, abandon.

It’s sad for the kids and parents but not your fault. In real life, there will be 75% of them secretly thanking you because they have been waiting for someone to act. And the whole family here knows this coach is setting a terrible example.

there will be 75% of them secretly thanking you because they have been waiting for someone to act. And the whole family here knows this coach is setting a terrible example.
This.

There's been a good couple of times where my dad's been with me at games and as I've walked off with him, there's been a couple parents almost apologetic for the way the coaches' have behaved. Saying that, that's only a couple of times 😅

As said. Just send them off but allow play to continue as they are the only responsible adult.

Then add this to your report after the game.

You are correct if the coach is the only "responsible adult" with the team, you can tell the coach they are sent off, can remain as they are the only responsible adult, but any further misconduct will be treated as misconduct after dismissal and the game will be abandoned.
In my county each club in youth football must have a Respect steward at the game, which changes the outcome as tbe coach can be sent away.
Is it mandated that the the coach has to be given the opportunity to remain if they're the only responsible adult? I've unfortunately had to dismiss coaches a number of times, and there's very few of those times where I'd have felt safe or comfortable continuing the match with the dismissed coach present.

Behaviour has consequences and if that coach behaves in a way that leads to dismissal, that coach is solely responsible for the game being abandoned.

I did similar to this with an assistant manager who was acting as a physio a few years ago. I informed him that he was sent off, was able to stay in the dugout to treat players as and when required but that he was to be sat down quietly otherwise or it would go inn a further misconduct report.

Is this a correct course of action?

I did similar to this with an assistant manager who was acting as a physio a few years ago. I informed him that he was sent off, was able to stay in the dugout to treat players as and when required but that he was to be sat down quietly otherwise or it would go inn a further misconduct report.

The only thing I'd add is to make it clear it's a final warning. You're not obliged to just accept endless misconduct - if he still can't behave even with the extra chance, any further misconduct should result in game abandonment.

Reffed an U16 game today....despite winning comfortably White coach contested every decision (eg "it's his first foul ref" after obvious YC for reckless challenge etc.).

Late in second half I gave an easy FK for a trip to Blues and when I explained I saw a trip after the inevitable question I was called a liar....gave YC for dissent then he entered field of play in provocative manner to continue his rant.

Unfortunately a second YC would've implied abandonment as he had no assistants so in interest of kids I did not show one and finished the game but will file misconduct report.

Do you think I should have handled differently?
As others have said, you should have 2nd YC him and then RC him. If his attitude results in abandonment, then it is his fault / clubs fault for not keeping control of their youth team coaches.
Is it mandated that the the coach has to be given the opportunity to remain if they're the only responsible adult? I've unfortunately had to dismiss coaches a number of times, and there's very few of those times where I'd have felt safe or comfortable continuing the match with the dismissed coach present.

Behaviour has consequences and if that coach behaves in a way that leads to dismissal, that coach is solely responsible for the game being abandoned.

I would also look at allowing the game to continue, where possible but after the sanctions have been applied. It is his responsibility to act in the correct manner so again abandonment would be his / clubs fault; not yours.

Unfortunately a second YC would've implied abandonment as he had no assistants

That sounds like a him problem. IMO, send him off and report it. Perhaps the kids' parents will inquire with the club as to why their children play for a man who puts the opportunity of their children to play at risk by behaving in this way when he has no other adults on the bench with him.

If the referee doesn't feel comfortable in continuing, they should abandon the game.
Any responsible adult who may stand in for the coach would need to be DBS checked and FA approved.

I heard from a friend that they witnessed a coach of an U13 team, in his words 'full on swearing at them, calling them f****** s***' etc after the game last weekend (I know the coach they refer to and I 100% believe he would do it)

From a safeguarding POV I'd obviously be reporting that, but it amazes me why parents would let their child play for someone like that?

Back