A&H

Junior/Youth Dilemma time.....

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
U16 end of season match in the home clubs non league stadium....non competitive but high standard of football.

Game passing without incident until midway through 2nd half......

Reds (home) attacking in blues penalty area, thunderous shot comes in, blue defender approx 2 metres off goal line but reasonably central appears to block ball with his arm.

You, as the ref, have a good view and for a couple of seconds you have done nothing, no whistle, no signal......

AR on that side starts landing helicopters with his flag, your arm has gone numb from the buzzer unit and he makes a clear signal indicating he feels it was handball.

Friendly match, not a challenge out of place all game, u16's, blue team have travelled 3 hrs to play this game......

What do you do?

The Referee Store
I sent a fellow of in the 90th minute of a competitive Sunday League game a few years ago, his team was losing 1-5 and he decides to play in goal as the ball passes his goalkeeper... I was surrounded with what felt like 22 players pleading leniency...Bye Bye sonny!!! ;) Mr ******* had a reputation to uphold!!!!

Assuming it is an NAR you have to give the penalty. The only possible wiggle room on DOGSO is if you could say the ball wasn't going in, so perhaps it was going wide / over or there was a defender or keeper directly behind the player that handled it.

If it was deliberate then red card and penalty age not an issue.
You, as the ref, have a good view and for a couple of seconds you have done nothing, no whistle, no signal......
This makes me think it is not as clear cut as the words say. Penalties are normally an instinctive split decision we make. How far was the attacker from the defender
Reds (home) attacking in blues penalty area, thunderous shot comes in, blue defender approx 2 metres off goal line but reasonably central appears to block ball with his arm.
AR on that side starts landing helicopters with his flag, your arm has gone numb from the buzzer unit and he makes a clear signal indicating he feels it was handball.
What was your pre-match briefing on this?
Friendly match, not a challenge out of place all game, u16's, blue team have travelled 3 hrs to play this game......
Not relevant we can not think they have travelled X amount of miles I can,t send him off!

I'm not sure why it would be such a dilemma - surely these are the kinds of decisions a referee has to make in almost every game. You just have to decide a) was it deliberate handling and b) if not for the handling, would the ball have gone into the net?

I would agree with @Tino Best that the distance the team has travelled is totally irrelevant.

Hi
The LotG does not define whether a game is a friendly or not whether it is end of season or not, whether the game was played in a good spirit or not, how far the team has travelled, time in the game, score etc etc
The law requires that as it is deliberate handling which has prevented a goal that the player is dismissed.
Now the referee can do many things here and it is a matter for the referees own integrity what he does. He could
1. Opine it was not deliberate, wave the flag down and play on
2. Award the penalty and dismiss the player for a DOGSOh
3. As the player is in the middle of the goal a caution is not really an option. If there was doubt about where the ball was going it is an option.
4. Wait a few seconds to see what happens to the ball. Who knows maybe a defender decides to sort it with an OG
The referee can decide very much what he wants with the one exception of not making an error in Law. ithe key us what is expected and the referees integrity.

padfoot is normally the law and order type. o have a feeling there is a follow-up to this

Depends on what the referee said in the pre-match... usually I'd tell my ARs that if I haven't given it or given a big no then I'll be looking at them if I want their input, unless it's on my blind side. I can only assume that the referee has either a) opined that it wasn't deliberate, or b) not given anything because they know they should send the player off but don't want to.

I take it you were the AR Padders?

Ok....wasn't my game....I was watching. I am part of the home clubs committee.

I did know all of the officials, and had been talking to them prior to the match. The referee is a young ref, just promoted to level 5, with a lot of potential to go further.

When it happend, I was talking to a couple of other coaches from the home club and said straight away that if he awards the penalty, there's only one outcome for the player.

The penalty was awarded and the player sent off, to much uproar and disbelief from away coaches and parents. I did wander down to the technical areas and the away coach was more annoyed about the fact that the "law has changed, should only be a yellow card now". I explained that the law change was only applicable to challenges and not DOGSO (H). Accepted that, grudgingly, and things settled down.

I spoke to all 3 officials afterwards just to get their thoughts on it, and to offer some support to the ref as he was clearly feeling a bit sheepish for doing his job.
When speaking to the ref without the 2 AR's (he was doing another game for us later on) he admitted he had seen it clearly and was desperately running through the options in his head when the AR starting landing helicopters leaving him nowhere to hide! The ref did say that he knew that if he hadn't sent him off, he would have been kicking himself all the way home.

Now....I have a lot of sympathy for any ref in this situation. It's a "friendly" game, at a big non league stadium, in front of a couple of hundered people, played in the right spirit......it's horrible place to be when you have to send someone off, especially when you know it would be easy to swerve the decision and no one would complain.
I know I am also quite sceptical of young referees who are hard charging down the promotion trail, often seeing quality sacrificed on the altar of populism and quota filling. I was very impressed by the maturity shown by this referee, who I have known for a few years since they started refereeing, and will definitely look forward to seeing him over the next season.

Curiously, the other game he was involved in, as AR, also had a red card for a headbutt. From a referee that I have also observed previously and had earned the distinction of being the most obnoxious and arrogant candidate of last marking season.....and not a youngster either!
Thankfully he had clearly listened to some of the development points as his game was a lot better! Not sure he was too happy when he turned up and found me there though!!

Well, as a NAR, you should only be flagging for a penalty if the ref is looking for help, or if the ref is completely unsighted. What gets complicated is when the ref thinks he has a good view, but doesn't....
Anyway, the problem with DHB is that at the wrong angle, you can think it hit the arm when it really hit the chest or torso. And I guarantee we've all given those.
Of course, same applies in reverse.

As an AR here, IMO you should really only signal if the ref looks over to you for help, or it's completely and utterly out of view (eg behind his back). Otherwise, PA needs to belong to the referee.
So in this case, unless the ref looks over, if the AR thinks the ref has a reasonable view, leave it be. Again, gets a bit trickier if the AR thinks the ref was looking through a crowd - but you've got to respect the referee and when he appears to have a view and it's a long way from the AR, leave it be. Because you don't just have a judgement on whether handling occurred - but also judgement on if it's deliberate. The ref may have seen it an think it's accidental.

Of course, when there's a penalty shout, referee needs to instantly call out his denial, in my view. A response is needed - and it's not just communicating it to the players and spectators, but to the AR! A response says 'I've seen it and it's not a penalty' (even if you haven't seen it). No response says 'No idea what happened! What's for tea?'.

A loud shout by the referee would have stopped this problem. Not sure? Glance to the AR first. AR sees this glance, knows his opinion is wanted, up goes the flag. Seamless mechanics, most people won't even realise how the decision was made.

If ref shouts out no, and flag goes up - shout it out again and to keep playing.

No decision and flag goes up? Well, ref needs to decide - how certain is he that there was no foul? In theory the AR should only be flagging if he's 100% certain. So I'd say the ref would have to be 100% certain of no foul to overrule - but if so, then definitely overrule away. We've all seen overzealous AR's who flag when they shouldn't and when they're less than certain.

Especially in this scenario - we all know that too many referees would want to penalise the accidental handling that denies a goal.

so the ref is faced with that possibility.

Just a reminder that accidental handling that denies a goal is not a foul

If there's a natural stoppage, then the referee may wish to discuss it with the AR, particularly if he's confident with doubt that there was no foul. But this comes down to the referee's level of doubt/certainty if he wants to have a chat or not.

But this sounds like poor teamwork/mechanics by both parties - though at this age, they could be young/experienced. Getting these things right really is the finer side of refereeing.

Good on you for speaking to people at the ground to set things straight, and having a chat to the referee. Great to see you using your experience - and I think it's great when referees talk to the crowd like this. I often find that at youth football people are quite responsive to this.

But friendly or no, red card is mandatory if the foul is given. If any doubts about it being 'friendly' - a stadium with a few hundred spectators should be enough of a reminder that it's a game that needs to be handled 'properly'.

Has to walk then, unless you are willing to overrule the assistant and effectively hang him out to dry.
I disagree wholeheartedly with the 'have to give it because it's flagged' approach. sounds like the NAR is the one who hung the ref out to dry.

Back