A&H

Distance covered

I have but never really thought about what it tells me..just looks like my neice has been scribbling all over my screen. Here's a view of a game I did recently with NARs.. it tells me I really leave them to it. This looks like I spent a lot of time in the middle but running through it im moving around alot. Theres just heavy footfall through that area I think.
You have the same aversion to corners as me lol When you look at it like this it really doesn't make a lot of sense as you can't see the ball and in some games you are predominantly in one half....one thing I do notice is that you need to switch it off at the end of the game?

HONEST ANSWERS - Do you play an extra 30 secs to get up to the 4-5 k mark when you are at 3.96k-4.96k? And YES sometimes I do but only if there isn't likely to be a match defining moment.

The Referee Store
You have the same aversion to corners as me lol When you look at it like this it really doesn't make a lot of sense as you can't see the ball and in some games you are predominantly in one half....one thing I do notice is that you need to switch it off at the end of the game?

HONEST ANSWERS - Do you play an extra 30 secs to get up to the 4-5 k mark when you are at 3.96k-4.96k? And YES sometimes I do but only if there isn't likely to be a match defining moment.

I have NARs on the game remember. I get more of a circle when on my own. I'll try and pull 1 out.
Depends on the game. I usually try and set it as a target. If I see with 10 mins to go I need to make it up I'll make a conscious effort to get there within the half - putting a bit of extra effort in to be right on top, but not too close

The problem with commercial gps is that it is not especially accurate, and they're more designed for someone on a run or out on their bike than what we, as referees use them for.

Even on the quickest refresh rate your device has means it could miss a quick sprint into a corner and back out again.

And thenow theres the quality of the signal you have, over hanging trees or tall buildings can affect this so you would expect it to be more accurate to than within a couple of meters if you're lucky.

I think the premier league use the same thing that some clubs do where there movement is tracked by special cameras rather than using GPS

I think the premier league use the same thing that some clubs do where there movement is tracked by special cameras rather than using GPS

They use that here as well in the premiership. I am happy if it's only a few metres and mine is generally accurate to within 20 at any time.

Yeah, it's accurate enough for us at the lower end on the pyramid, although I've had a few games where the GPS has shown me running 10-20 meters off the end of the pitch, which I put down to me cautioning or speaking to a player near the goal line

• I only track what I cover as I am in training for a couple of half marathons and use it to monitor my mileage I have covered so I dont do stupid miles of exercise. But the distance I cover is regulated by the age group. I did a mini soccer tournament where i did 9 or 10 games over 3 hours all short 14 mins game and my distance was riduculous. Feet were sore after that and it killed my trusty 4 year old Sondicos!

I average about 8km ... a season! lol

na, never measured whilst in the middle ... but did have a very busy line where I did just over 8km

8km on a line?? :eek:
What device were you using to track?

Maybe Charlie was acting as ball boy as well!:p

Or....... maybe he was senior, therefore doing subs, check every GK, every fly kick, game of two halves where your end is busy both halves, include the warm up;) that sort of thing - possible I guess.

I do a lot of AR work but never measured my distance covered, sure it can't be anywhere near 8K, my legs would have told me if it was!:D

My step counting watch suggests I did about 10.5k on Saturday, but that would include the warm up, pitch inspection and jittering nervously as the observer went through the match, so....

my pals apple watch it was recorded on (he wanted to see out of interest)

as mentioned, I was senior ... ref wanted every goal kick monitored, subs etc etc and yes - I had 'one of those games' where my end was the busy end both halves! defending team both times only interested in hoofing it back out and attacking team back on it again

My average for a line seems to be between 4k and 5k

I think my furthest this season was 5.76km on a ryman development game.

9.5-11km for a middle 90 mins
8-9km for a middle 70 mins (no ARs, extra work with wider diagonal for offsides is my approach so eating up more ground)
5.5-7.5 km for a line

@Charlie Jones avg 8km doesn't sound right to me. I've done crazy up-down AR games with high level youth and mid level mens, and as AR1 so coming for subs and (IIRC) I have never got to 8km in any game. I constantly track, constantly crab... I have a Garmin and the GPS map overlay looks pretty accurate... I am guessing 15% either way based on previous researching... so could be me...

And 14km in the middle... that's more than Adam Lallana!

Back