A&H

Junior/Youth Dress Code

Grasshopper

Level 7 Referee
Just wondering what the dress code on arrival for Junior/Youth matches is. Reading a lot about wearing suits and ties. I thought a smart Tracksuit would be acceptable.

The Referee Store
Unless it's a "special" game (e.g. Cup final) wear what you like, although remember: first impressions count.

If I'm doing a game at a ground I've not been to, I'll (at least) wear my shorts, and probably my ref shirt as well, with a top on top - you may (should) get a changing room, but you may not, or it may not be much cop. At least if you have your shorts on, you can get changed in the car park if necessary.

A smart tracksuit should be fine at the level at which you will be beginning your career.

Last edited:
Well, if it is a normal match I come ready in kit normally with a jacket on. The only time you'll wear shirt and tie is if it is for either a final or if the league rules suggest you should. Other than that I don't think I've ever gotten changed at a match mostly due to the unreliability of a lot of clubs not having proper facilities.

I'll echo what the other two have said. You will reach a level where shirt and tie is expected of you - usually any match where you're working in a team of 3 is a good rule of thumb. When I'm turning up on my own to the local grassroots league, I'll wear appropriate kit so that the only thing I need to change after getting out of my car is my boots.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to refereeing!

To begin with I used to turn up in a smart tracksuit (I started off with the A&H PGMOL stuff before I moved to Wales), at places I didn't know I would have my kit on underneath, but as I got more familiar with venues I started wearing a full tracksuit.

I used to referee at a local academy regularly which had good changing facilities, if it is at a park on a Saturday morning, likelihood is there will be no changing rooms so start off with your kit.

Shirts, ties, suits whatever come into it at a later stage, but hopefully that will come soon for you!

As above a lot of youth games may not have changing rooms so tracksuit with kit underneath. Finals tends to be suits but if you are not sure ring your RDO or the league secretary. If working in a team of 3 ask the ref and he will advise you the dress code he wants.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to refereeing!

To begin with I used to turn up in a smart tracksuit (I started off with the A&H PGMOL stuff before I moved to Wales), at places I didn't know I would have my kit on underneath, but as I got more familiar with venues I started wearing a full tracksuit.

I used to referee at a local academy regularly which had good changing facilities, if it is at a park on a Saturday morning, likelihood is there will be no changing rooms so start off with your kit.

Shirts, ties, suits whatever come into it at a later stage, but hopefully that will come soon for you!
Thank you WelshRef01 That's just the sort of tips I need. Cheers mate!

As above a lot of youth games may not have changing rooms so tracksuit with kit underneath. Finals tends to be suits but if you are not sure ring your RDO or the league secretary. If working in a team of 3 ask the ref and he will advise you the dress code he wants.
Thanks Tino. I think Finals are a long way in the distance, but you never know...

Apart from a few finals and semis, I always turned up ready to go with either a fleece or water proof jacket if the weather called for it.......works for me.

A few years ago when my son still played a ref turned up in full replica Man United kit. I do hope he was a Dad not appointed!

As always gentlemen your replies are a mixture of education and wit, but more importantly, most enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Back