A&H

Drinks Breaks?

OIREF!

RefChat Addict
I've seen a couple of youth matches recently, played in warmer weather, where the referee allowed a drinks break. This seems to be increasing acceptable, we've seen in in major tournaments. I have no problems with drinks breaks but I can envisage a scenario where a unfit team can use a drinks break to their advantage but a team who have worked harder at their fitness might not be so willing to stop play particularly of they were chasing the game. Are there any guidelines for drinks breaks issued by various leagues/associations?

The Referee Store
not sure, however i've done it on occasion. Agree it with both captains and managers to play it by ear. Just common sense really I think, especially with youth games. (also the reverse is true in very cold weather, some parents may not have ensured that their kid is dressed warmly enough. Not a direct responsibility, but worth being aware of)

Where's the problem if you add on the time? Both teams benefit and you look like you're a human being with empathy for other dehydrated human beings

As a 17 stone 43 year old with 2 dodgy knees and a temperamental ankle, I for one appreciate any opportunity for additional fluid intake!

During an u14s game I did this season just gone, there was a lengthy stoppage due to an injury and several players from both sides took the opportunity to grab a drink on the sidelines. One coach took exception and protested at the "unofficial drinks break". I however had no problem with it at all. Yes, technically players did leave the pitch without express permission, was I bothered? Not in the slightest! Anyway, all players had returned to their positions on the pitch before the player had finished receiving treatment, so it made absolutely no difference to the length of stoppage in play whatsoever.

There have been times where I have arrived at games and suggested/asked managers regarding drinks breaks, other times they have asked/requested first. Would have to be a fairly petty minded ref/manager/coach who objects to a drinks break, especially at youth level. The wife and I usually have to nag our son to drink, I for one am not going to stop a kid getting a drink even if it is mid-match!

I did it in a contrib game a few years ago, second weekend of the season on a ridiculous hot Saturday in August. Discussed with both teams and the assessor before the game, all were happy so just went with it. The key thing is using a natural stoppage rather than manufacturing it if at all possible, and you can subtly encourage players to help you there if necessary. Everyone was happy, club marks no doubt improved, and the local paper report praised me for it, even if they did suggest that I needed the break as much as the players .. :)

Early season matches here are often well above 30 degrees. My first senior match as player was 36! Above 32 and players can take a drink without the ref's permission at any time.

If conditions are considered extreme by the Match Official, he or she may;
a. allow a 2 minute break during the course of each half;
b. allow additional drinks breaks in accordance with Rule 4.4.2. or otherwise;
c. abandon the Competition Fixture, if in his or her opinion it is unsafe to
continue.

According to the Laws of the Game, drinks breaks are allowed if "permitted by competition rules." That being the case, I would reckon the competition rules would be the best place to look for any guidelines on this.

at youth level give 'em a break of they want it if it's a bit of a hot day. if the other team complain then pretend you needed that break your self. it's just grass roots football not the clipping champions league final

Edited: to fix grammatical errors

Last edited:
I always make sure it's agreed before the game and by both teams. One doesn't agree it doesn't happen.

So you gonna run risk of players on one side becoming ill due to the decision of players on the other side? You are the referee, you are responsible for the safety of the players, you make that call !!!

"oh sorry your number 7 passed out, the other team said he was not to get a drink"

aye ok.

According to the Laws of the Game, drinks breaks are allowed if "permitted by competition rules." That being the case, I would reckon the competition rules would be the best place to look for any guidelines on this.
I also thought this but:
• stoppages for drinks or other medical reasons permitted by competition rules

Now this can be read two ways. One, the way in which you have interpreted and I have until now that both should be in the competition rules.

But having looked back following this thread the use of the word or instead of and suggests that time is allowed for drinks breaks, period. And a secondaey allowance is made for other medical breaks permitted by the competition rules.
Another law where the wording remains open to interpretation if you ask me.

Why are we getting wrapped up in exactly wording of the laws and competition rules? Surely human decency and safeguarding must take priority? :confused:
Yeh sorry I meant to add soemthing similar about not refusing people acess to hydration.
I think on a referees forum we should still consult what us told to us in law and how it should be interpreted.
There is certainly a risk here that referees might refuse a drinks break as its not in the competition rules when actually that might not be a stipulation, rather an interpretation, so an important discussion to have none the less.

on hotter days, I always bring it up with managers and captains ... 'guys, as we can all see and feel, it is rather hot today - are you guys happy to play through each half, or would a break around the 20/25 minute mark be something we can agree on?'

nobody ever argues that - the way 'fitter' teams would look on it, is they are out running the other team anyway, a break will just help themget back to full fitness

Really? I don't believe for 1 second that not one schoosh of spray or one drop of spongy water was never in evidence on a public park that you officiated on.

Really? I don't believe for 1 second that not one schoosh of spray or one drop of spongy water was never in evidence on a public park that you officiated on.
Oooh trying to tie me in knots with double negatives.

Believe what you want. You have never attended any of my games. You don't know

Back