A&H

Drop Ball

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
Stopped the game yesterday due to a head injury as ball was in play I restarted with a drop ball

It took 4 attempts to get the game restarted

Drop 1 - Red volleys ball before it hits the ground
Drop 2 - Red volleys ball before it hits the ground
Drop 3 - red change player, blue volleys ball before it hits the ground
Drop 4 - Red volleys ball before it his the ground
Drop 5 - BRAVO!

The Referee Store
With drop balls I always ask the players to take a step back just before I drop it.

9/10 they will step back with their weaker foot which means they have to take a step forward before they're in a position to kick the ball. Give the ball the time to hit the floor and me time to get out of dodge

Not a bad idea. I know referees who would simply drop it behind them at this point. Or throw the ball onto the ground.
How high are you holding the ball when you drop it? Maybe try doing it lower

Never had the problem, but always precede the drop ball with "Gents, you can both contest this - but remember, its a yellow if you kick each other, and a red if you kick me..."

I've thrown the ball down after a few attempts and players are generally relieved to have the game underway again. Another tactic is to remind the players after a couple of failed attempts that you can issue a yellow card for repeated offences. The fact that it's not necessarily an offence to kick the ball before it hits the floor is not something you need to be explicit about.

I've thrown the ball down after a few attempts and players are generally relieved to have the game underway again. Another tactic is to remind the players after a couple of failed attempts that you can issue a yellow card for repeated offences. The fact that it's not necessarily an offence to kick the ball before it hits the floor is not something you need to be explicit about.
If their actions are causing you to "retake" the drop ball over and over, you can definitely justify a caution for delaying the restart. It's the same as a player deliberately taking a FK before you're ready to force you to reset and waste time.

Back