A&H

England - Poland

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Penalty incident; seemed at first that Sterling kicked the ground and tripped himself. Undoubtedly touched immediately afterward but couldn’t have argued had it not been given.

Also first caution of the game came in 47 minutes and went to a Poland player who’d just come on as a sub. Nothing much in the challenge itself, and a little unfortunate given his personal circumstances, but a good example of punishing persistent infringement by a team. 4th or 5th similar foul in the same area of the field.

And penalty against Maguire for handball? Not buying Lee Dixon’s argument that “It’s a natural position because it’s on the back of a defender” (Exact words)

The Referee Store
Also first caution of the game came in 47 minutes and went to a Poland player who’d just come on as a sub. Nothing much in the challenge itself, and a little unfortunate given his personal circumstances, but a good example of punishing persistent infringement by a team. 4th or 5th similar foul in the same area of the field.
I don't think it was for persistent infringement at all. I reckon it was for a reckless challenge or even SPA. The player was nowhere near being able to challenge Kane for the ball - he simply didn't want Kane slipping away and just kicked him.

PI is when a player persistently infringes. A player committing his first foul hasn't done that. If a caution is given for team tactical fouling, it should be for UBS rather than PI, unless the particular player has multiple offenses. (Not that it matters a lot what we call it.)

Reactions: one
PI is when a player persistently infringes. A player committing his first foul hasn't done that. If a caution is given for team tactical fouling, it should be for UBS rather than PI, unless the particular player has multiple offenses. (Not that it matters a lot what we call it.)
This is what I would do but I wouldn't technically fault someone who gives PO. The law is clear that no specific number constitutes persistent.

did he not book him for that, i assumed he had!? thought it was about as clear a yellow as you're likely to see!

To clarify my earlier point on the first caution, I used persistent to differentiate between a team fouling as a tactic and a tactical foul (which to me breaks up an attack to allow the defenders time to regroup)

And no, Kane escaped a caution, or he’d have sat out the next game after picking up a stupid yellow against Albania

To clarify my earlier point on the first caution, I used persistent to differentiate between a team fouling as a tactic and a tactical foul (which to me breaks up an attack to allow the defenders time to regroup)

And no, Kane escaped a caution, or he’d have sat out the next game after picking up a stupid yellow against Albania
Guarantee he will try and get booked the game before San Marino to clear the suspension.

That or against Hungary and sit out the Andorra game three days later

Back