A&H

England v San Marino

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
In the 88th minute, Watkins gave a free kick away for what I gather was high foot. But could it not be argued the player, whilst doing a diving header challenge for the ball, is acting more dangerous than Watkins foot which was about wasn't height.
I always think its a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. He is no more dangerous than the guy putting his head that low.

The Referee Store
I wouldn't call that PIADAM. It's kicking an opponent. The opponent played the ball, Watkins was a tad late and kicked him (on the shoulder). The fact that the ball was played with the head and the foot was a little high is beside the point here. The restart for kicking an opponent is DFk. PIADAM is IFK.

It looks like the referee thought the same was as me.

I wasn't disagreeing with it.
Just wanted to more highlight that I always see this given against the person using the foot, contact or no contact, whilst the person who dips their head gets away with it.

I haven't seen the play, so I'm going from the description from the posts above.

By kicking the diver, the kicker created contact and took PIADM out of play. If he had refrained from kicking at the ball to avoid kicking the opponent, an argument could be made for PIADM against the diver. At the professional level, PIADM is almost never called; at the levels I ref, if the ball is below waist level and one player is trying to head it and an opponent with a chance to kick it backs off, I will call the PIADM--but that is a very rare play.

These games are farcical. You could get 700/1 for San Marino to win last night. They go on about a winter break. These minnows ought to be subject to pre-qualifying. I can only assume FIFA have some financial interest in these games

These games are farcical. You could get 700/1 for San Marino to win last night. They go on about a winter break. These minnows ought to be subject to pre-qualifying. I can only assume FIFA have some financial interest in these games

A completely pointless game, no one learns anything or develops in these games, only thing it has is the potential for injuries.

At least when non-league teams play prem teams in the FA cup theybe earned it. Completely agree there should be some sort of pre qualifying for the bottom 10/15 clubs, won't hold my breath though

All other larger continents have pre qualifying rounds.
I agree, I think we need one.
I like the nations league because at least its competitive games.
Think I read somewhere that, although, nations tend to play similar stature teams in friendlies, they played with less intensity and learned nothing really from it. The same is said about games against San Marino, its less intensity for us, we learn nothing and it's wasted 90 minutes where you could actually play higher calibre nations instead and improve.

It gives footballers from San Marino a chance to play against some world class teams and England as well

And then just to disprove this Luxembourg win in Ireland. Ireland's team, packed full of Premier League players, should be hammering Luxembourg, but they didn't. Why should the likes of Luxembourg be denied having this kind of opportunity?

And then just to disprove this Luxembourg win in Ireland. Ireland's team, packed full of Premier League players, should be hammering Luxembourg, but they didn't. Why should the likes of Luxembourg be denied having this kind of opportunity?
Technically they are not denied.
If they win their pre qualifier.

You see it in the fa cup. Much smaller teams have scalped off big teams but each year, regardless of how well they done the year(s) before, they still start in preliminary, qualifying or the first round instead of the 3rd round when the big teams come in. But they were good enough to win their early games to get to round 3 to have that opportunity to beat the bigger teams.

Technically they are not denied.
If they win their pre qualifier.

You see it in the fa cup. Much smaller teams have scalped off big teams but each year, regardless of how well they done the year(s) before, they still start in preliminary, qualifying or the first round instead of the 3rd round when the big teams come in. But they were good enough to win their early games to get to round 3 to have that opportunity to beat the bigger teams.

That's a fair point, but there has never been a concept of pre-qualifying in international football. It is done like that in the FA Cup because there are over 700 clubs entering, plus the fixture schedule at higher levels wouldn't allow the top clubs coming in as early as August.

More importantly, it wouldn't work with the current international breaks. Whilst the smaller teams were playing their pre-qualifiers the other nations would be restricted to friendlies and that doesn't help anyone.

And, as per my previous point, a team full of part timers or players playing in obscure leagues last night turned over a nation that regularly qualify for major tournaments. I don't see that there is a problem to be fixed.

That's a fair point, but there has never been a concept of pre-qualifying in international football. It is done like that in the FA Cup because there are over 700 clubs entering, plus the fixture schedule at higher levels wouldn't allow the top clubs coming in as early as August.

More importantly, it wouldn't work with the current international breaks. Whilst the smaller teams were playing their pre-qualifiers the other nations would be restricted to friendlies and that doesn't help anyone.

And, as per my previous point, a team full of part timers or players playing in obscure leagues last night turned over a nation that regularly qualify for major tournaments. I don't see that there is a problem to be fixed.

With the goal scored by a player from dinamo kiev against a keeper from Rochdale.

It's not quite the same thing but i get your point.

No.... Luxembourg were 6/1 to win the game. Not quite the same as 700/1
No comparison to England v San Marino. There was a lot of talk that Luxembourg were great value to win the game and the match stats proved that right. They deserved the win

I do however agree that there are logistical problems with the concept of pre-qualifiers. However, the most important ingredient in sport is for it to be competitive. There's is zero point in matching part-timers with elite professionals on the International stage because those fixture dates are valuable in terms of what they could otherwise be used for

Last edited:
That's a fair point, but there has never been a concept of pre-qualifying in international football.
Not quite right. Asian teams pre qualify for the world cup qualifiers with the higher ranked teams coming in later.

I think the 48 team world cup finals has a similar pre qualifier format planned as high as the finals stage.

Not quite right. Asian teams pre qualify for the world cup qualifiers with the higher ranked teams coming in later.

I think the 48 team world cup finals has a similar pre qualifier format planned as high as the finals stage.

I meant in Europe, should have added that.

No.... Luxembourg were 6/1 to win the game. Not quite the same as 700/1
No comparison to England v San Marino. There was a lot of talk that Luxembourg were great value to win the game and the match stats proved that right. They deserved the win

I do however agree that there are logistical problems with the concept of pre-qualifiers. However, the most important ingredient in sport is for it to be competitive. There's is zero point in matching part-timers with elite professionals on the International stage because those fixture dates are valuable in terms of what they could otherwise be used for

That's a fair point, I hadn't realised that Luxembourg had moved up the rankings so much in recent years. But they are still in the bottom 16 clubs in Europe so presumably would fall into the category of ones having to prequalify.

I ought to get arrested for cruelty TBH
My kids have been subjected to all of Newcastle's defeats over lockdown
On watching San Martino, my daughter astutely enquired as to whether all games are pointless

Back