A&H

Entering without permission

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Pol vs Eng

77 mins

Glik runs on, makes a tackle, then the ref waves him on. An unconvincing display from the ref just became a disaster. The same player was let off an obvious SPA YC on Jack on the line.

This is a 7,7 display

The Referee Store
Pol vs Eng

77 mins

Glik runs on, makes a tackle, then the ref waves him on. An unconvincing display from the ref just became a disaster. The same player was let off an obvious SPA YC on Jack on the line.

This is a 7,7 display

I had to go back and look. He did give a very slight wave before he ran on, but it wasn't nearly obvious enough. It's just blew up when the ball got immediately played towards where Gilk ran on.

Certainly wasn't safe refereeing, you don't wave a player on when play is that close.

The referee was all over the place, one of the worst first halves I've seen from a FIFA referee for as long as I can remember. To his credit he rescued it to a poor performance rather than a disastrous performance, but he won't look back on that game with any fondness.

I am trying to think what he could have done different. He looked a bit young and missed some steel. There were a few times he needed to be stronger and even get angry.

Problem was there were so many wrong decisions. Let down by the ARs for a few throws, really obvious corner wrong, whistled the wrong fouls. It was a massive game for the Poles, big crowd, maybe it just came too soon for him..

I am trying to think what he could have done different. He looked a bit young and missed some steel. There were a few times he needed to be stronger and even get angry.

Problem was there were so many wrong decisions. Let down by the ARs for a few throws, really obvious corner wrong, whistled the wrong fouls. It was a massive game for the Poles, big crowd, maybe it just came too soon for him..

He was at the Euros, not as if he is new to that level. I do wonder though if he is a bit of a Stuart Attwell, pushed too soon by his national association well before he is ready. He looked like a rabbit in headlights when it kicked off at the end of the first half, just didn't look like a top level FIFA referee throughout the game.

I mentioned this somewhere else but it looks like he's trying to referee like Felix Brych but he doesn't have the experience, the respect, or the credibility to do so yet.

Yes, it did look like he was ready for a game like this. Potentially some interesting challenges and definitely some needle at the start. Never started strong enough to have a good performance. The early card for Philips was correct, but missed similar offences and giving punishments to the Polish defenders.

The incident at half-time - he was never clear and authoritative about it. Having to call the Polish player back from the tunnel and they allowing too much talkback when showing the cards.

I doubt it was even a 7.7 performance across the team.

Back