Few questions ahead of my first game

Shahba

Level 7 Referee
Hi all. This is my first game refereeing this weekend. It’s a youth match
what time should I arrive
when do I do a kit inspection, as don’t want to get in way of teams warm ups

Last edited:
The Referee Store
There's no right or wrong answer here, for a junior game I'd get there about 30 mins before ko but as its your first game you may want a bit more time to get yourself sorted.

As for the kit check, any time when the teams are in their kits and out on the pitch warming up. Ask the manager to get them in for the check and shouldnt take long.

Question for you aside from this, what county FA are you and do you have a mentor?

Hi all. This is my first game refereeing this weekend. It’s a u13 match
what time should I arrive
when do I do a kit inspection, as don’t want to get in way of teams warm ups
Good luck!

I'd say 30 minutes before kick off - gives you time to meet coaches, check pitch, and warm up etc.

If the players are all gather listening to instructions or so on you could go and check boots whilst that's happening, if that's not possible you should be able to have a look as you warm up nearby.

The main thing is that you enjoy yourself though - here's to many more!

Good luck!

I'd say 30 minutes before kick off - gives you time to meet coaches, check pitch, and warm up etc.

If the players are all gather listening to instructions or so on you could go and check boots whilst that's happening, if that's not possible you should be able to have a look as you warm up nearby.

The main thing is that you enjoy yourself though - here's to many more!
Ok, i Forgot we have to do a respect handshake so I will just check boots once lined up. should I do pitch inspection when they are getting instructions then, if there are no obvious

There's no right or wrong answer here, for a junior game I'd get there about 30 mins before ko but as its your first game you may want a bit more time to get yourself sorted.

As for the kit check, any time when the teams are in their kits and out on the pitch warming up. Ask the manager to get them in for the check and shouldnt take long.

Question for you aside from this, what county FA are you and do you have a mentor?
Sussex and no. they have been very helpful which is good!

Ok, i Forgot we have to do a respect handshake so I will just check boots once lined up. should I do pitch inspection when they are getting instructions then, if there are no obvious
Yeah pitch inspection can be a part of your warm up as you jog round it - as long as it seems safe to start of course. I just look for sticks from nearby trees and take them off. If you go round the outside of the pitch you'll cover most of it and the nets anyway. Can then check the centre circle area after. I do this whilst the teams are warming up (so about 20 minutes before KO).

Enjoy! For my first game I would definitely arrive up to an hour/45 mins before. You don’t want to be stuck in traffic or late for any reason and you want to have enough time do to everything. Make sure you know what pitch you are on etc before you arrive as you could spend 10 mins looking for it if there are loads of pitches and teams!

Have a look at the pitch as you arrive (always check that there are penalty spots!) and introduce yourself to both managers.

Warm up and check the pitch as you do it.

Don’t make a massive thing of checking equipment but make sure you find a good time to have a look making sure there’s no jewellery etc.

Relax, enjoy and have fun! If you want to come back to do your second game it’s a success!

Have a look at the pitch as you arrive (always check that there are penalty spots!)
This one really isn't a big deal--but if they are there, make sure they are the right distance! Do make sure you know in advance if you're doing an age group that has a shorter than 12 yard PK. (Some places deliberately don't mark them so that the exact spot doesn't get the extra wear from lots of PK practice by random people.)

If it isn't marked, and you have a PK, you can either
  • Pace it off
  • For a standard field, it is exactly half way between the GA line and the PA line, which isn't hard to find without pacing

Back