A&H

Fighting and suspended match

Robert King

Hi all,

Yesterday I reffed two adult teams, and from the first minute onwards, both teams went into it really hard. But me looking at what league these teams were playing (really low) on a late and really nice Saturday afternoon, with quite some audience watching, I thought I'd just let the game be a game and not blow my whistle too much. To be honest, when I look at the media about referees in England, where I'm not from, I think that this game could have been everyday business for you guys, though it isn't here on the Mainland :).

Anyway, things got ugly really soon, and I went into half time thinking: Alright, it's time to get the cards out and stop this. However, second half started really friendly and easy, so I dropped that thought. Again, things got ugly, and towards the end a potentially huge brawl broke out. What happened was a player threatening a spectator that he would punch the ** out of him after the match and the manager running on the pitch and him being confronted by other players. So I suspended the match. I didn't know exactly either who made the threat.

I think that I could have prevented this by first of all show more cards. To become more strict in pushing and pulling, but I have to say honestly that I was a bit too passive. I wasn't there at the last momernt when the threatening happened, while I should have been, because something happened before that. However I think the decisions I made were mostly correct. There was one offside goal, where I didn't notice the AR raising his flag because he didn't do it correctly, so there was no blame for me there from the victims. And besides this just the usual mocking and stuff. The players were angry at each other instead of angry at me. And I had an experienced ref tell me once that it is better to have players angry at the ref because he is showing red cards etc. than have a player angry at each other.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this moment, maybe anyone has some feedback for me. It's the first time something like this has happened to me.

The Referee Store
I'm sticking with your first paragraph. What do you mean by "not blow your whistle too much"? It reads like you are seeing infringements and then not blowing. That is not good IMHO. It kills me (as an AR) when my ref tells me "I like to let them play". It is a very difficult place to be if you allow fouls to go un sanctioned. That's hard for you, the teams and your ARs (if) to know the line. Mixed ability teams, small contacts with no effects, OK, maybe fair enough... but you are hinting "hard"...

I stopped to write though about taking each incident one at a time. I am no veteran and I'm trying to improve this: sometimes I get into a rhythm and that's when I make a bad call. I am trying to take every decision one at a time. You get the point I am making? Don't be thinking "this half will be easy"... think "I am ready for whatever happens next"... ;)

Never let the next decision be effected by the one before, regardless of how bad it might of been. Evening things up never works.

Within the first 15 minutes, you can guess how a game is going to turn out. Even if there's not many fouls, if teams sound "up for it," and are going in hard (even if it isn't a foul), you know you'll have a tricky game on your hands.

Watch how the teams warm up. Are they happy with each other? Are they warming up seriously? If they are, perhaps they're a competitive side, and you'll need to keep this in mind. Or maybe they aren't taking it seriously? Maybe they don't have their shinpads on, aren't really listening to you when you're talking to them before the match? In which case, you might have communication issues.

Don't be afraid to use your cards, and a strong whistle tone. It's there to be used. If the tackles are flying in, give them no leeway, it's the only way to get the match under control.

If there is a mad confrontation, stand back and watch for the reds. Those are the important things. Blow your whistle loud and stand close, but not so close you're caught in the middle. Keep blowing your whistle until it's all died down, deal with the reds first, then yellows, then anything else. But get the reds. Anything else is a bonus.

You mentioned you abandoned the game? Did you feel that match control could have not been restored? If so, you've made the right decision, but I can't help but feel that your reluctance to use cards had an impact on the game.

In summary, don't be afraid to use your cards if you have to, they're there to be used. Sometimes you need to go with your gut instinct, if a foul is a caution, someone needs to be cautioned. If someone needs to go, they need to go.

Take it as a learning experience and ask yourself what could you have done better, then apply that next time.

Believing you can judge how a game is going to go in the first 15 minutes can be dangerous.

Games can flare up in a moment over something as inconsequential as a throw in or some playful banter.

Conversely a game that starts off aggressive and bolshy can cool off very easily.

As referee you can not relax or get too worked up. If you are consistent with the application of law and don't over/under react to situations you can manage the game to a safe conclusion.

Believing you can judge how a game is going to go in the first 15 minutes can be dangerous.

Games can flare up in a moment over something as inconsequential as a throw in or some playful banter.

Conversely a game that starts off aggressive and bolshy can cool off very easily.

As referee you can not relax or get too worked up. If you are consistent with the application of law and don't over/under react to situations you can manage the game to a safe conclusion.
Agree completely, and it works both ways. A game for me this weekend that started out in very good spirits turned a little nasty in the second half when the "favourites" found themselves 3-1 down and unable to get the ball back.

Also agree, an easy first 15 minutes doesn't not in any way mean the entire game will be easy. I'll use a couple of examples ...

A few years ago I refereed an FA Trophy game and didn't have a card for 85 minutes. It finished, after 7 minutes of added time, with 3 red cards, 9 cautions and a manager binned. The most ridiculous 12 minutes of football I have ever refereed, and there was absolutely no indication it was going to happen.

Then on Sunday I had up until first half stoppage time the easiest game of the season, then something happened. Allegedly a player had been punched off the ball, which I didn't see, then as the player was still on the floor motionless a different opposing player (so not the one accused of hitting him) walked over to him, leaned over and spat next to his head. That I did see so he walked, and then the second half went back to being dead easy.

The minute that you decide that the game is going to be easy is the minute you will drop your game and risk massive problems.

Also agree, an easy first 15 minutes doesn't not in any way mean the entire game will be easy. I'll use a couple of examples ...

A few years ago I refereed an FA Trophy game and didn't have a card for 85 minutes. It finished, after 7 minutes of added time, with 3 red cards, 9 cautions and a manager binned. The most ridiculous 12 minutes of football I have ever refereed, and there was absolutely no indication it was going to happen.

Then on Sunday I had up until first half stoppage time the easiest game of the season, then something happened. Allegedly a player had been punched off the ball, which I didn't see, then as the player was still on the floor motionless a different opposing player (so not the one accused of hitting him) walked over to him, leaned over and spat next to his head. That I did see so he walked, and then the second half went back to being dead easy.

The minute that you decide that the game is going to be easy is the minute you will drop your game and risk massive problems.

I agree with Rusty. The most seemingly innocent occurrences can change a match. I did a local Derby that was pretty reasonable behaviour that had one yellow for dissent just before half time that turned on a home substitution 10 or 15 minutes into the second half. Ended up with several yellows, two reds one a second yellow the other a VC for the previously mentioned substitute and was abandoned in stoppage time over a second penalty retake for the away team to take the three points!

Note to self, never call a player a swearword, even under your breath, apparently they don't like it these days, they call you and other players lots, you do one to them and apparently you have overstepped the mark!!! :redcard: I had to score their behaviour from 0-10... there wasn't a box for the minus sign, so i added one!!! :) They folded a few games later after another incident of a game being abandoned!!! 3-4 absolute Herberts!!!

Note to self, never call a player a swearword, even under your breath, apparently they don't like it these days, they call you and other players lots, you do one to them and apparently you have overstepped the mark!!! :redcard: I had to score their behaviour from 0-10... there wasn't a box for the minus sign, so i added one!!! :) They folded a few games later after another incident of a game being abandoned!!! 3-4 absolute Herberts!!!

Or if you are going to swear at them, do it loud enough so that everyone hears it!

I was on the line for a referee a few weeks back, he was effing and blinding at the players; "I don't give a s** if you think it's a f***ing foul..." etc.

He might be onto something though, because the players though he was the best referee ever!

In the right tone and company and with exceptions I haven't an issue with a witty sworn response! We all swear, don't we???

hmm we've just had a very well respected ref suspended for 2 weeks round my way for telling a player to f off
I was on the line on a match a few weeks ago where we were approached after the match and the other assistant was accused of this. He denied it and it seemed to be very much his word against the managers - I'd be surprised if this kind of thing ever went anywhere...

If we want to give red cards for being sworn at, we can't really complain if we get a suspension if we swear at a player. I do understand every situation is different but why leave your self open to missinterpretation.

I was on the line on a match a few weeks ago where we were approached after the match and the other assistant was accused of this. He denied it and it seemed to be very much his word against the managers - I'd be surprised if this kind of thing ever went anywhere...

ah thats where this particular case differs... he didnt deny

Speak as you wish to be spoken to.

Why sink into the gutter

It's difficult to sell dissent, offinabus if you are cussing yourself

Yes, definitely did learn my lesson. I should have been much more strict, given many more cards and above all I should have been more active in controlling the players. It's hard managing adults as a young adult myself. Though I'm certain it can be done.
Thanks for all the tips!

About the swearing, it's personally not something I would do, and I think that only the right person will be tolerated in swearing at the players.
I think most referees know for themselves whether or not the players would tolerate him for doing so.

I'm now talking as a 17 years old player, so a different perspective: If I had a guy in his twenties, perfect hair, perfectly tucked in shirt... all that, telling players to f** off and that he doesn't give a ** about their opinion, I would not exactly tolerate that. However, if it'd be that cool, old guy, with white hair, almost bald, and he got that face, that face that says that this guy has seen some stuff and personally drove a tank in your mother's home and drank all her whiskey, I think all players would love him for swearing at them. It definitely depends on someone's character and looks. But he must do so in a very old-school accent with archaic swearwords. :)

Back