A&H

Open Age First AR Game Tomorrow

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Afternoon chaps,

As the title suggests, I've got my first match as an AR tomorrow. We covered a bit of this on the basic course a few months ago, but not really too much at all so this is really entirely new to me - I've got to say, I much prefer being in the middle, but it's a cup game so I don't mind and it'll be good to get some experience.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks or anything they advise? - I've been revising the flag signals and the obvious things, but still feeling just a bit nervous.

Thanks in advance.

D

The Referee Store
I was the same before my first AR game.

Learn your signals, follow the second to last defender (thats including the keeper), or the ball.

They say the 'best assistant referees follows the refs pre match instructions'. Do just that. As for outs, give each hand a colour (e.g Red vs Blue, Blue right hand, red left hand. In your head you then say to your self, 'right that's a red ball, left hand flag'.

Hope this helps a little bit more. plenty of threads with information on them.

Most importantly, enjoy the game and the experience. Since my first AR game,I haven't had many middles, been enjoying waving the flag around.

Yeah, giving each hand a colour (don't forget to switch at half time) is probably the biggest tip I could give; it allows you to very quickly be able to make decisions, which give you a much greater sense of credibility throughout the match. Also, I have a mental conversation with myself all the time as far as offsides are concerned - 'no-one offside, no-one offside, blue 10 offside if the ball comes, no-one offside, blue 10 offside if the ball comes, ball comes, raise flag, offside' - something of that ilk.

Also, best piece of advice at this early stage is whenever you make a decision, try your best to make eye contact with the referee. It will make your life so much easier

Personally i much prefer running the line.

As others have said, make sure you keep in line with the second to last defending player, and follow the ball to the goal line when required.

Follow the refs pre match instructions, but most importantly, enjoy it.

Be confident in your decisions as you would in the middle, stay level with the last defender or second from last if the GK is wandering around!
And talk through offsides as the game progresses as alexgr has already stated it is fun but also take the oppurtunity to learn from the man in the middle.

All above are good tips, especially the naming your hands!

The other thing is don't be afraid to be vocal with the players. I've seen alot of assistants who are talkative refs but become mute when you stick a flag in their hand. Obviously don't do anything that goes against the ref's pre-match, but don't be afraid of talking to the players and shouting things like 'ball is still in, keep going', 'watch the hands' etc. When I'm in the middle I like it when assistants do that, as it helps the match control.

And on the pre-match, if there is something the ref doesn't cover or you want clarity on, just ask. Use it as an opportunity to learn from a more senior referee.

Thanks very much for all comments, guys - all incredibly helpful. The 'giving each hand a colour' worked at an absolute treat, and it felt good banging the flag out straight away.

Overall it went really well, @lincs22, though I was surprised how difficult it was to stay concentrated throughout, my brain was dead by the end of it. The ref was a really nice chap, and good to chat to him beforehand and afterwards. His communication throughout the game was like nothing I've seen before, he was talking to all the players constantly, communicating well and effectively and aside from the standard groans, had barely any dissent.

The game itself was not one I would've wanted to ref personally, there was a fight mid way through the first half on my side in the box and ensuing melee of about 18 players from both sides, ref was on top of it straight away. He came over to me before he did anything and I advised on what I saw, he spoke through what he was planning to do and got right on with it - 2 sendings off and 2 yellows. Aside from that, I flagged for an offside, disallowed goal, in the second half which was more instinctive than anything else.

But yeah, really pleased with how it went, but more so, I was pleased with how many tips and tricks I was able to pick up from the ref!

Thanks very much for all comments, guys - all incredibly helpful. The 'giving each hand a colour' worked at an absolute treat, and it felt good banging the flag out straight away.

Overall it went really well, @lincs22, though I was surprised how difficult it was to stay concentrated throughout, my brain was dead by the end of it. The ref was a really nice chap, and good to chat to him beforehand and afterwards. His communication throughout the game was like nothing I've seen before, he was talking to all the players constantly, communicating well and effectively and aside from the standard groans, had barely any dissent.

The game itself was not one I would've wanted to ref personally, there was a fight mid way through the first half on my side in the box and ensuing melee of about 18 players from both sides, ref was on top of it straight away. He came over to me before he did anything and I advised on what I saw, he spoke through what he was planning to do and got right on with it - 2 sendings off and 2 yellows. Aside from that, I flagged for an offside, disallowed goal, in the second half which was more instinctive than anything else.

But yeah, really pleased with how it went, but more so, I was pleased with how many tips and tricks I was able to pick up from the ref!

That's the kind of games you want as an AR, as you rightly pointed out you learnt a lot and picked up tips for the next game whether you are in the middle or running the line again. so well done!!

Back