A&H

First Coaching game

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
Hi all

My coach for my promotion has asked me what I will be doing to prepare for my game at the weekend. What does she mean by this?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Means exactly that, what are you doing to prepare for the game. Have you been in contact with the home club, and assistants (if you have them). What are you doing the night before, what time will you go to bed, what will you eat and drink before the game. How are you getting to the ground, what time are leaving home, are there any roadworks on the way that might delay you, have you checked the weather forecast, and so on.

It is aimed to try and get referees at lower levels into a routine that they will need to follow if they get promoted to senior levels.

Hi all

My coach for my promotion has asked me what I will be doing to prepare for my game at the weekend. What does she mean by this?

Thanks
Matchday Coaches will all be different. If and when I formally coach a Referee, I'd personally be more interested in whether they are in the right position to get a PK decision right, rather than what they had for breakfast. But each to their own......

Matchday Coaches will all be different. If and when I formally coach a Referee, I'd personally be more interested in whether they are in the right position to get a PK decision right, rather than what they had for breakfast. But each to their own......
Agree, and so would I. But I still think getting the referees to think about what happens before the match day is a good idea, as if they have any aspirations to progress in the game they are going to have to do that.

Agree, and so would I. But I still think getting the referees to think about what happens before the match day is a good idea, as if they have any aspirations to progress in the game they are going to have to do that.
Pretty much this.
All comes down to where someone is in life as well. It might seem moot to some of us, where we don't need to think about thinking about what for breaky or the route we will take. Some, mostly less inexperienced in reffing and life, need to be prompted to think about these things as perhaps they haven't had to all that much before.
For example, I always check the time it takes to get to my games on the same day of the week I am travelling, so for example if I have to travel up the M5 on the 21st, I'll see what the time to travel is on the 14th. I do this because from experience I know the roads I travel are notoriously busier on a Saturday, so looking at how long it takes on a Friday night is just not accurate. I think if I were a coach I'd be tempted to be getting my referees thinking about these things, travel especially, as it will set them in good stead for the longer journeys promotion will bring.

Pretty much this.
All comes down to where someone is in life as well. It might seem moot to some of us, where we don't need to think about thinking about what for breaky or the route we will take. Some, mostly less inexperienced in reffing and life, need to be prompted to think about these things as perhaps they haven't had to all that much before.
For example, I always check the time it takes to get to my games on the same day of the week I am travelling, so for example if I have to travel up the M5 on the 21st, I'll see what the time to travel is on the 14th. I do this because from experience I know the roads I travel are notoriously busier on a Saturday, so looking at how long it takes on a Friday night is just not accurate. I think if I were a coach I'd be tempted to be getting my referees thinking about these things, travel especially, as it will set them in good stead for the longer journeys promotion will bring.
I went from L6 to L4, so from pub football to semi-pro football, and I certainly wish people had given me information about pre-match preparation. I've always been good with planning travel, but I had no idea about lifestyle and dietary changes potentially needed for that level. Yes, I should have realised that I couldn't keep going out with friends on a Friday night and getting home at 1am, but there are other things. I certainly had zero idea of nutrition and what I needed to eat / drink before and after the game.

The aim of this new coaching system is to get people to the professional game much faster than they could previously, so it stands to reason that they should be coaching all aspects of refereeing, not just what happens on the green stuff.

I think it's very true that Promotion from Level 7 to Level 4 is about proving your suitability for National FA Appointments
It's not just about how good a Referee you are on the FOP

I've encountered some very promising young Referees, but they'll never progress very far because they have no appreciation regarding commitment, reliability, organisational skills, communication and so on and so on

I'm a mentor (hard to believe I know) and I have some mentees who have really good experience in different countries- one guy with 5 years experience in an another country - he is great on the FOP - and pretty much all the fluffs during matches are related to preparation and briefing: AR briefing, names, discipling benches, on field conferences, concentration during the first minutes, being a bit moody after work, 2nd half energy...

Another colleague with a lot of experience from abroad just got demoted. Missed a kick off being late - but it was always on the cards as he never mastered the pre-match to the same standard as his peers.

Obvs it's great to see a focus on that in the UK - and in my part of the world, mastery of preparation is a blinding obvious divide at our 5th to 4th tier jump (our 4th and 3rd tiers probably L4 equivalent - though only the absolute cream of the best young officials go to the 3rd tier here).

Hi all

Thanks
From my recent training on being a Match Day Coach, as opposed to a observer, the training specifies to identify what areas of somebody's refereeing performance they want to get advice on. They will be looking to see what you have self-identified as your own development areas, what steps you are wishing to introduce into your performance to achieve this. They can then evaluate your effectiveness in doing this and offer potentially other solutions to your problem.

The match Day Coaching is not there to provide fully round report on your whole performance. I attach a copy of the North Riding MDC form, which has as line 1 "Communication with Match Day Coach".

Attachments

• 2022-23 Level 7-6 Match Day Coaching (1)[47886].pdf
    457.8 KB · Views: 25
Pretty much this.
Not for you obviously:), but for other newbies, always try and check SatNav at the time/day you will be travelling, pointless looking up the journey time on a Saturday afternoon for a midweek evening game.

As some of you will know, particularly relevant anywhere within the M25 and immediate surrounds!

Back