A&H

First ever observation!

AaronAvery

So after only doing 3 lines so far this season, I have my first middle on Saturday (of the season), and this morning got the dreaded email of a possible observation this weekend!

Can honestly say I have never got nerves before a game, but for the first time I am actually a little bit apprehensive about it!!

Wish me luck!!:bite:

The Referee Store
best of luck, you'll be fine relax and do what you normally do in the middle. Take whatever comments come your way for what they are... nothing negative, but pointers as to how you can improve.
Just be sure that you dont NOT do things that you know you are meant to. I.e pitch inspection, equipment check, etc etc .... thats all the easy stuff... what happens once the whistle has gone is your unknown... but, be positive about the feedback you get...

Like @richard ramjane says be sure to do the basics, Pitch inspection etc. Dont do what I did once and start a game with no corner flags for example. :p

A side from this just do what you normally do. Don't change any part of your game. This allows your observer to give you relevant strengths and development areas.

Lucky you. Use it as a learning excercise do what you would normally do and then listen to the feed back and work on the area of improvement. Remember this is here to help you improve not to see you fail and if you take the advice you will become a better ref.

I know it is easy to say, but don't worry about the observer. We are there to help you develop. We do spot lots of things you are doing wrong, but the good observers will explain how to correct these faults.

At your level, we are there to help you get your 6.

Listen to what we say in the debrief and fully read the report. There will be good stuff within to help you.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, the observer is there to help you develop as a referee, not to catch you out.

My game has developed and improved the most from the observations that I've received.

Don't change what you do because you are being observed, get to the ground and carryout your normal pre-match routine, pitch inspections, kit check etc, you can't control what the players get unto in the match, but if you nail the small stuff at the beginning then you'll be off to a good start.

I would advise to have a read through the the competencies for 7-6, so you know what the observer is going to be looking for.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Any idea where I can take a look at the competencies just so its fresh in me mind?

Wereyou given any documentation by your RDO when you applied for promotion?

If not, or you can't find them an email you your RDO should do the trick.

They were included in our promotion scheme handbook, I'm on my phone at the moment so I'm afraid I can't send them over till later tonight

Wereyou given any documentation by your RDO when you applied for promotion?

If not, or you can't find them an email you your RDO should do the trick.

They were included in our promotion scheme handbook, I'm on my phone at the moment so I'm afraid I can't send them over till later tonight

Not been given anything, I am attending a ''Promotion Seminar'' later on this month so I have been assuming I will get some material then.

Cheers Ross ill take a look

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Any idea where I can take a look at the competencies just so its fresh in me mind?
Try this, it is from North Riding CFA but should give you an idea.

Attachments

• Referee Assessor Competency Aide Memoire 7-6.docx
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
Can only echo what others have said. I was super nervous about my first observation, but have had three now and they have all helped me to become a better referee.

As others have mentioned, make sure you get the simple stuff right. Before the game is important but in the game there are plenty of simple things that can affect your grade. So make sure you carry out substitutions following correct procedure, if you have to show cards make sure you use the correct procedure etc. You don't want to lose marks on application of law because you don't do substitutions from the halfway line, for example!

Most of all, enjoy it!

So after only doing 3 lines so far this season, I have my first middle on Saturday (of the season), and this morning got the dreaded email of a possible observation this weekend!

Can honestly say I have never got nerves before a game, but for the first time I am actually a little bit apprehensive about it!!

Wish me luck!!:bite:
Good luck pal. Don't worry about having someone there because as has been said before, observers at grassroots level only do it to try to help you become a better ref, not for their own benefit so just ref how you normally would and they'll offer their advice on how you can improve.

And don't forget they'e giving up their time out of the goodness of their heart so make sure you listen to what he/she tells you and take it on board for your next game.

Back